Ladies ONLY - Do you weigh more on your period?

Options

Replies

• Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS! Anywhere from 3 - 5lbs. Don't fret:sad:
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started my MFP weight loss journey back at the end of September, so since then I weigh daily [weigh - in weekly], so i've only had two periods since i've been weighing daily, and I was very nervous about when my periods come, because I have always read that people gain a lot of weight on them. Long story short, on the two periods I have had since starting this site, I have lost weight both times, I don't suspect this to keep happening, but I have yet to gain weight while on my "TOM".

Well it's not fat weight that you gain! it's moslty water weight! so you loose it! If you are loosing weight you are going to loose weight regardless of your period but during you will not loose as much or retain some weight due to water!
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 3 pounds in water weight, but then at the end over night I will lose all the water weight and usually, as long as I have kept to my diet, and extra pound.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the wonderful answers.
    Periods are the worse... :(

They totally are the worst. The things we go through for the ability to bear children..
  • nursepent
    Options
    My oh my!!! Yes!!! I can deal with the extra pounds that I know will be going away in a week!! Its the cravings that kill me!!! And mine is CHOCOLATE!!! and sometimes I just start on an eating binge!!! Those pounds dont go away in a week on their own :sad:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    When I was low-calorie, low-fat, and high-carb I would watch my weight jump 5 pounds and take the entire week to come back down.

Now I am Primal (no grains - real food - low-carb/high-fat - no calorie restriction). If I give into my carb cravings during PMS I will gain a little bit of water weight (carbohydrates make our bodies retain water - and sodium) maybe 2-3lbs. But when I start my period the extra fluid disappears within the first couple of days (my guess is because I lose all interest in carbs).

If I don't give into the carb cravings (sugar addict here :ohwell: ) during PMS I will gain no weight, water or fat. My body stopped the Period Bloat when I gave up the grains, flour, and sugar carbs (and milk).

Only when I ingest grain, flour, sugar or milk carbs does the number on the scale go crazy. I eat lots of fat and it has no effect on the scale.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    yes, some times up to 4 lbs more for a day or two.
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Regarding your question about exercising during your period - if you're feeling weak, its probably because your iron levels are depleted from the bleeding. It's easy to get a little anemic, leading to feeling weak / breathless / exhausted. Pop an iron supplement (take it with orange juice for max absorption) - and load up on dark leafy greens, to boost up your iron levels back up. Fortified cereals, like Bran Flakes are great too.

Take exercise at your own pace - you know your limits - but even gentle exercise can help the feeling of bloating / relieve any cramps during the dreaded TOM :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My advice is your obsessing over tiny fluctuations. A lb or 2 in a day is nothing...regardless of menstruation or not. I go up and down by about 4-5lbs a day. Exercise, fluid intake etc means it changes.

Look at your measurements...don't do them around period. Every girl knows you get bloated around that time. Look at monthly overall weight loss and inch loss as opposed to the minutia. You'll drive yourself crazy.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Regarding your question about exercising during your period - if you're feeling weak, its probably because your iron levels are depleted from the bleeding. It's easy to get a little anemic, leading to feeling weak / breathless / exhausted. Pop an iron supplement (take it with orange juice for max absorption) - and load up on dark leafy greens, to boost up your iron levels back up. Fortified cereals, like Bran Flakes are great too.

Take exercise at your own pace - you know your limits - but even gentle exercise can help the feeling of bloating / relieve any cramps during the dreaded TOM :)

This Exactly what i was going to say :smile: This used to happen to me every time, now I take iron supplements along with my regular vitamin and I'm good to go.
  • ShortayBaybay
    Options
    I started my MFP weight loss journey back at the end of September, so since then I weigh daily [weigh - in weekly], so i've only had two periods since i've been weighing daily, and I was very nervous about when my periods come, because I have always read that people gain a lot of weight on them. Long story short, on the two periods I have had since starting this site, I have lost weight both times, I don't suspect this to keep happening, but I have yet to gain weight while on my "TOM".

Well it's not fat weight that you gain! it's moslty water weight! so you loose it! If you are loosing weight you are going to loose weight regardless of your period but during you will not loose as much or retain some weight due to water!

Yes, I am aware that it's not "fat weight" and that it's "water weight", I was just stating my experience with "gaining or not gaining" while i'm on my TOM. Thanks! =]
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    No matter what... I still love the amazing things us women can do. It amazes me how much our bodies work.

And I don't gain till prior to it starting and I drink tons of water and workout like crazy because sometimes people can tell when your on your "girlie". Ive noticed just doing my normal routine but increasing the water intake and exercising helps keep my bloat to a minimal. So I rarely go through the effects of it.

The joys of womanhood...
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Have any of you had your uterus removed? I had mine out a couple years ago, but not my ovaries. So I still get hormone cycles, but not a period. Which is WONDERFUL! But I do wonder if I still would have the typical weight gain from water retention. Is it dependant on hormones or the uterus? Logically it seems I would still have it, but it's so hard to tell because I don't really know when my cycle would be...

Anyone in this situation?
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Yes Anywhere between 2-7 lbs.****ing sucks. I hide the scale, and just keep on keeping on :P
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's funny how everytime I need help, motivation or information there is always a thread out there!! :laugh:

I weigh in on Thursdays and was bummed that I started my period Monday. THis morning when I wieighed I was the same weight as last thursday. :sad: But I am still plugging along doing what I have to cause I know my hard work will pay off in the end!! :smile:

Oh and I do find myself more hungry during this time too, craving my snackey foods, so I just have to work them into my diary!!!
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes. I weigh more.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I gain 2lbs during my period time!!
  • Cleo200
    Cleo200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weighed 2 lbs heavier the week I had my period. Once I was off of it, I had lost 4 lbs, and I am NOT convinced it happened in a week lol.

ditto to this....to the exact lb!
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I might weigh a little bit more while on my period, but I always figured it was just because I won't put the bottle of vodka or pickaxe down long enough to get on the scale during that week.
  • sholtz79
    sholtz79 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definitely... TMI.. but I just started a lighter flow yesterday afternoon/early evening and was full flow this am... Hopped on the scale and was up 6 lbs!!!! SIX FREAKING LBS!!!! Hoping to see it go back to nomal in a few days!