Gym/Locker Room Etiquette

Options

Replies

• 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Using the sauna as a changing room! This one woman came into the sauna and proceeded to remove her swimsuit, dry off while sitting on the bench and change into her street clothes. So awkward. It took her forever, too. Others are doing it, so much that I now go into the mixed sauna rather than the women-only sauna. At least in the mixed sauna people act appropriately.

Why would anyone want to change clothes in a sauna?
  • sjcsviola85
    Options

You don't understand. machines and free weights aren't the same. Period. Suggesting that the two are direct subsitutes is bad advice and wrong. I'm only arrogant to you because I don't put down the weights like they are delicate butterflies.

I do what I do to get to where I need to go. I let people work in, I help others, I spot others, I offer to spot others, I offer advice if I see someone doing something dangerous with their technique. If that's world you disapprove of, then yes, you need to not enter it. I'm interested in getting things done and helping others do the same.

Accusing me of hatred of women, that's a joke and frankly a poor attempt at crticism to hide your insecurities.

lets play nice guys... we're all supposed to be on this site for a common objective no? ... ..... :wink: :smile:
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I can't stand when people are talking or texting on their cell phones while on the machines. I will see people running on the tread mill and answer their phone!!! Or one guy literally sent and received like 30 texts and his phone wasn't on silent, his notification sound kept dinging every 10 seconds driving me nuts!

gotta wonder what people think i am doing. I log my exercises on my phone during my cool down on the treadmill so i dont forget. wonder if they think I am texting.
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    a little off topic, but its waaaaaay too funny when guys stare at themselves in the mirror, and tocuh their arms . it just cracks me up !!!

I flex my glutes in the mirror. Then check for firmness. :blushing:

haha i feel like every guy does that. and its interesting coz they dont get shy doing it. i mean i would if i was looking at my legs or arms in the middle of the gym lol

god I couldnt stand in the middle of the gym 'checkin myself out' like guys tend to do... tbh it takes me most of my will power to actually walk into the gym ... the rest of my will power goes on actually staying there and doing the exercises haha
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    I can't stand when people are talking or texting on their cell phones while on the machines. I will see people running on the tread mill and answer their phone!!! Or one guy literally sent and received like 30 texts and his phone wasn't on silent, his notification sound kept dinging every 10 seconds driving me nuts!

gotta wonder what people think i am doing. I log my exercises on my phone during my cool down on the treadmill so i dont forget. wonder if they think I am texting.

I do exactly the same thing haha - i'm new to the whole gym scene and so i've actually typed up (ok sad I know lol) all the different stuff I need to do for my whole 'workout routine' with all the details of reps/weight/speed/levels etc on so when i'm actually exercising I use the rest periods to update my 'notes' on my iphone. people prob think i'm either texting or plaing angry birds haha
  • shunkawakon
    shunkawakon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i sneak glances at myself.....mostly in the reflections of windows not the gynormous mirrors at the gym. hahahaha
  • joannaengel
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve at the gym is people who put perfume/cologne on before working out. I've since quit the gym, but I don't need to choke on someone else's perfume while I'm running on the treadmill.
  • satoshieyes
    Options
    I want to know who steals the spray bottles so I have to run all over the gym to get one to clean a tread mill or weight machine... I will however admit to using my phone for music while running, yes i use headphones.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Gold's Gym, and I haven't had very many issues with any of the members there. I am quite glad that I haven't seen any nekkid peeps in the sauna, for example...

I don't mind dropping weights...UNLESS, you are doing it for show. And I think we all know at least 1 person that does that, where they finish their set, have no need to drop the weights, but do it anyway and grunt loudly just to show how beastly they are. Honestly, I've only seen 2 people in my gym do that...they are quite literally high school boys. The "muscle heads" don't do that. Sure, they may drop the weights, but then again, so do I sometimes. Cause after doing my deads, sometimes I don't have the energy to put the bar back on the squat rack, so I drop it cause if I bend down all the way, I pull muscles in my back cause I have tight hammies and do my deadlifts by going slightly below the knees, then raising up, repeating 10 or so times. To prevent injuries, I drop the suckers afterwards. Sorry if that bothers some people...no, not really sorry...but I'd rather drop them than hurt my back. After my final set, I drop them, wait about a minute, then re-rack and take the plates off. Maybe if I did less than 100 pounds or so I would just bend over and put them down ever so gently...but that wouldn't do anything for my hams while picking up the weight.

I did fall victim to the "group hog" a couple of weeks ago. I needed to do lat pull-downs with the cable machine, and there was a group of 5 guys rotating themselves in and out for an entire hour! I didn't get to do my lat pull-downs that day, because when I politely asked if I could do a set after one of them finished, they responded with "we are using a certain pace and need to keep it that way, you can use it when we are all done" But, after one of them did a set, he'd sit there on the machine and rest for at least half a minute before the next one would come over for his set!!! :explode:

I hate seeing personal trainers giving horrible advice. The most recent example of this I can think of is when I overheard a trainer telling a client to sit on this torso-rotation thing-a-ma-jig machine everyday to "trim your waist" and it's like doing cardio. :noway:

I overheard someone in my gym yesterday morning making fun of someone for walking in wearing jeans...but this person had a gym bag and changed in the locker room into shorts and t-shirt! I didn't quite understand their issue since he was not working out in jeans. Would they be equally annoyed at me knowing that I go to gym immediately after work and that I have to change out of my uniform, duty belt, and boots before working out? It's not like I am working out wearing all my gear. I think what I am getting at it is that some people just need to keep their noses out of other people's business and worry about themselves instead of other people.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Great thread. The worst I ever experienced at a gym was people bringing their kids and then not controlling them. One of the instructors at my old gym had a kid who was probably about 7. Most of the time, he would sit in the lobby and watch TV, but sometimes the kid would run around and throw kickballs around. One time, I was doing crunches and the kid started throwing the ball against the wall about a foot from my head. I found it way more distracting than cell phones or nudity, which as mentioned in earlier posts are also irritating.

Another one was people leaving the changing room door standing open. It's a pretty small gym, so it isn't a locker-room style changing room (like where you go around a wall to walk in). It has a regular door with hinges. I'd get into the shower and when I come out in the complimentary towel (which isn't really big enough to fully cover most people), the door is standing wide open. It happened to guys too. Totally saw a stranger naked because I walked through the hall to the group fitness room... past the men's changing room.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wipe off the machine after you sweat all over it. Spray and wipe
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Great thread. The worst I ever experienced at a gym was people bringing their kids and then not controlling them. One of the instructors at my old gym had a kid who was probably about 7. Most of the time, he would sit in the lobby and watch TV, but sometimes the kid would run around and throw kickballs around. One time, I was doing crunches and the kid started throwing the ball against the wall about a foot from my head. I found it way more distracting than cell phones or nudity, which as mentioned in earlier posts are also irritating.

Another one was people leaving the changing room door standing open. It's a pretty small gym, so it isn't a locker-room style changing room (like where you go around a wall to walk in). It has a regular door with hinges. I'd get into the shower and when I come out in the complimentary towel (which isn't really big enough to fully cover most people), the door is standing wide open. It happened to guys too. Totally saw a stranger naked because I walked through the hall to the group fitness room... past the men's changing room.

Ack! I haven't had to deal with the "kids at the gym" issue for 4 years, as my current gym has a daycare and is pretty strict about minimum age for using equipment. The Y I went to in my hometown was really lax about kids being in the cardio/weight areas. 5 year olds would be screwing around with the treadmills, parents wouldn't be keeping track of them, next thing you know they were in with the machines, etc. It was a crowded place and seriously, not safe and small children should not be on the equipment. I mentioned it to the front desk a few times and said "hey, um, there's a lot of kids in the weight room and that's REALLY unsafe" and I think they just shrugged me off as some pretentious child-hater.

Whaddya know one day one of the kids gets their finger slammed in one of the weight machines. Mommy wasn't paying a bit of attention to him and WHAM! About lost his finger, and she tries to blame it on the others around.

And even after that, there were still a bunch of kids hanging around. So I found another gym that had a strict "no kids under 15" policy. Problem solved.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    I have to admit, when I was in my teens and early 20s I would go to the gym with some buddies and we'd spend a couple of hours doing a 30 minute routine. We'd spend a lot of time talking, now when I see that I want to tell them to get the f%$! off the bench or whatever, I want to get my routine done and leave. LOL I sound like an old fart. :)

People not putting the weights back really annoys the hell out of me, I can spend ages tracking down that other matching dumbbell. Then by the time I find it someone has taken the bench I was going to use. Basically, I just go to the gym in the middle of the day when the minimum number of people are there that way I avoid most of the idiots.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How about cleaning the machines...it is so nasty when someone leaves their disgusting sweat behind. I always always always wipe them down.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh, and not wearing proper work out clothes. Guys coming in jeans and street shoes and girls in full makeup, hair not tied back and no proper sports bra are just there to look good. That's what the mall is for. The rest of us are here to get sweaty and grimace, not look cute.

Um, I hardly ever wear a sports bra.. Mainly because my boob's aren't big enough to need one. I can wear a normal bra, and do things like weights and cardio just fine thanks. I do however, wear proper gym clothes(that match) and tend to look pretty damn cute if I do say so myself.. and I like it.

To OP:
    My pet peeves are:
    People hogging the machines(I get you need to rest between sets thats great, I do it too, but don't sit there for 5 minutes!)
    People hanging out in their thong/bra in the locker room... gross
    Not wiping down the cardio machines after you are done with them
    Not removing plates from machines(I never thought this would bother me, until I had to un-rack pretty much all the machines I wanted because people can't be bothered by it!)
    Guys who stare at girls in the weight area(I get it, I'm a girl in the weight area and wearing running shorts.. but that doesn't mean you gotta stop what your doing and stare at my *kitten*!)

I think that about covers all my pet peeves.
  • Crystler
    Options
    What I don't like is there is two showers in the locker room, and there is only 7 meters of wide space from the toilet to the shower also the shower is made out of glass atleast its non seeable shower in the gym, also I look away at anyone dressing. I'd rather dress in the toilet.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    As a person who's gotten dirty looks and being stared at at the gym while working out, I'd like to add as Locker Room Etiquette:

I'm here to get healthier, you giving me dirty looks will only make me want to stay home and hide. Don't be a ****, fat people are people too. I know a 385 lb woman working out might be funny to SOME people but grow up and mind your own business.

That's my two cents on locker room etiquette. :P
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I haven't experienced any pet peeves at the gym when I was going , because at 5:00AM there's barely anyone there, usually I'm the only female at first and a speckle of men, but they're all in the weights area while I'm on the cardio machines. They're really nice though, they don't bother anybody.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I do exactly the same thing haha - i'm new to the whole gym scene and so i've actually typed up (ok sad I know lol) all the different stuff I need to do for my whole 'workout routine' with all the details of reps/weight/speed/levels etc on so when i'm actually exercising I use the rest periods to update my 'notes' on my iphone. people prob think i'm either texting or plaing angry birds haha

LOL...no that's ok, in fact those are awesome ideas!! The people I was referring to are clearly having phone conversations or their text notifications are going off constantly...you can tell it's not work out related. Just last night there was a girl in my bodyworks class who kept going over to the side of the room where her phone was to check her texts and text back....I mean she did this like 7 or 8 times through out the work out! And it wasn't the type of class where you do one type of exercise and can step away and log it. We're doing multi moves and combo of cardio....definitely something you would log when you're done.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Gym -
    Re rack your weights. Is it really that hard?
    Don't drop your weights. You're really not impressing anyone, and they are easier to damage than you might think.
    If someone asks you to spot, take it seriously... don't be screwing around when you should be helping.

Locker Room
    DON'T TALK TO ME WHILE I'M PEEING!!!!! Holy F... I don't want people talking to me as a general rule.. I sure has hell don't want them talking to me while I'm peeing.
    Agreed with the nudist colony statement... getting undressed/naked is fine... don't stay that way.
    Keep your **** contained to your area... you're nasty clothes don't need to be spread out all down the isle.
    Wash your clothes/towel occasionally, don't just leave them in your locker for months on end.