Co-Sleeping with kids

Options

Replies

• cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"What dreadful logic. "I co-slept and my baby is fine, so clearly co-sleeping is fine." I smoke cigarettes but don't have cancer. So clearly smoking doesn't cause cancer.

You really think it isn't possible for a parent to roll over and smother their baby in their sleep?

http://www.ktbs.com/news/29406452/detail.html

Tell that to this woman."
    [/quote]
    And who's to say this woman hadn't been drinking or wasn't on some sort of medication with a sedative effect. It's not like she would tell anyone. Not saying that that is the case, but you can't say it's not either.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that's rubbish. I know people who's babies have died of cot death because they WEREN'T in their parent's bed. Some babies die. It's harsh, but it's a fact. You can't blame the parents for that one. They'll be blaming themselves.

It's not rubbish at all. Newborns die from co-sleeping. Period. Not many. But do you want to tell the parents of a dead baby that for comfort?

Yes SIDS is terrible and we're not entirely sure how to prevent it. We DO know how to prevent parents from rolling over onto their babies. Put them in a crib.

Odds are everything will be fine when cosleeping. The odds are also good that you'll win at Russian Roulette. It's the times you don't that REALLY bite you on the *kitten*.

Just because kids can die from numerous different causes is no reason to ignore simple safety precautions that can save their lives.

Last time I checked my daughter's not dead. In fact she is incredibly secure and knows all the way down in her DNA that her dad and I are there for her no matter what. I don't believe babies can fend for themselves. I think they need nurturing and security.

Question: do you fall out of bed? No? Yeah, you probably are aware of where the edge is, even in your sleep. Similarly, you sure as hell won't roll over and smother your own CHILD.

Humans existed for a really really really really really long time before the Childrens Furniture Industry and the "I need my ME time" mentality took over.

You are right that babies don't fend for themselves --- but they don't need to sleep with a parent. Hundreds of thousands of kids sleep in a crib and are fine. Babies can sooth themselves, if they are taken care of -- changed, fed, kept clean --- then its no issue having them sleep in their own room. Its not at all neglectful or being a bad parent.

Personally I think, do what you want. I will admit (I work with kids) and I cannot stand when they are co-sleepers. Its annoying for me, and the kids are completely unable to sooth themselves (even at 2-5years old). And yeah, thats not 100% of the time, but usually these kids have a very hard time soothing themselves.

Why would you expect a small child to sooth themselves? That is what mothers are meant to do. Why do people want their babies to grow up instantly?

Shock horror, I fed my babies to sleep EVERY NIGHT too. And amazingly, they get themselves to sleep just fine now.

I was more talking about 6-8 month olds, not newborns.

I also never said you shouldn't sooth your babies. I said that babies CAN sooth themselves. So by keeping a baby in their own room isn't being a bad mom. Just like vice-versa having a baby in your room doesn't mean your a bad mom. I do think that there is a point (personally) that kids need to have their own room. But that is just me.

Isn't saying babies can sooth themselves just saying eventually they give up crying because they have learned no one is coming? I wouldn't let my 6 year old cry himself to sleep, I sure as **** wouldn't do it with a baby.

Anyway, for those talking about SIDS, it is lessened dramatically in babies that sleep next to their mothers because they regulate their breathing to be in synch with their mother. Babies are meant to sleep with their parents/mothers, you don't see any animals packing their baby off to sleep at the other end of the nest. SIDS happens when a baby for some reason stops breathing, which is more likely when it can't feel it's mother's breathing pattern.
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    I co slept with my daughter until she was 18 months. I am a super light sleeper and my husband worked graveyard. Being a new mom, I researched tons and figured that this was best for my situation. I do not think it is for everyone. When she turned 18 mo. old, I put her in her toddler bed. She transitioned well, as did I.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My family was always against it. My younger half sisters (raised by my step mom) are 5 and 8 years old, and they still sometimes sleep with her. Very weird IMO
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have never co-slept with my kids (they have when they are sick or have had a bad dream). I personally do not think it is a good idea (just my opinion, I'm not trying to bash anyone at all) but I guess my one question to those who have done or do this is: When do you and your husband or significant have grown up time? I can't imagine what it can do to a couple’s sex life to have a child or children in your bed every night.
    If you don't co-sleep and you're not planning on it, why do you care how and where other people do it? You're really opening a can of worms here.

I am purely curious as to how two married people have fun when a child is sleeping with them.

Just out of curiousity, are you trying to get someone to say that they have banged with the kids right there in the bed?

No and the thought of that is disgusting!!!

LOL, me too :)
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    my friend and her husband havent been "together in 4 years" they child has slept with them every night. aswell as another friend rolled onto her 4 day old baby and the baby suffocated and died.

i have two kids... never liked/agreed with co sleeping, but i like my space aswell as time with my husband, i dont think a marriage/relationship should suffer just beacuse theres a new baby.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My dh is from Japan where co-sleeping on futons on the floor is the norm. When I told him about SIDS he was totally shocked as it is unheard of in Japan. Then again, a Japanese mother is unlikely to drink or smoke and more likely to breastfeed too, so these may also affect the success of co-sleeping.

I HAVE fallen out of bed, having slept on a futon for 3 years, as did my husband, so I know such safety systems can go wrong, and I couldn't get my head around bed sharing fast enough with my first child, but I would like to try a bedside cot with our next child.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    wtf does smoking have to do with your kids sleeping with you? someone please explain this to me. Im confused
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My 4 yr old sleeps with me every night! He will till he wants his own space. After he goes to sleep there are other rooms in the house if we want to get busy.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    if you smoke and your kids sleep in your bed, the smell of the smoke can be contained in the mattress, on you and become a contributing factor to sids. and /or suffocation
  • boomboom011
    Options
    if you smoke and your kids sleep in your bed, the smell of the smoke can be contained in the mattress, on you and become a contributing factor to sids. and /or suffocation

is this smoking in the bed or just smoking in general?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I know you're not asking me, but smoking in the house in general is hazardous to a baby. The smoke will sink into ANY mattress, either the parents' bed or the crib mattress. But it will be on your clothes when you sleep, so that does add another layer of problems if you're co-sleeping.
  • boomboom011
    Options

I know you're not asking me, but smoking in the house in general is hazardous to a baby. The smoke will sink into ANY mattress, either the parents' bed or the crib mattress. But it will be on your clothes when you sleep, so that does add another layer of problems if you're co-sleeping.

i get that but im just wondering if this theory applies to all smokers or just the ones that smoke in the house. For example, a smoker smokes outside the house, showers completely before coming to bed. does this still apply? Forgive my ignorance, im just trying to understand.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'd bet Jerry Sandusky would love to weigh in on this subject..

OO burn!

jerkoff.gif
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Because there's no where else in the house to be "adults"?
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different.

I operate best with firm boundaries, schedules, and rules. I wasn't comfortable bringing the kids into our room, but I didn't want to get up all night during that newborn feeding frenzy phase. So I slept in the nursery, and the boys slept in their cribs.

Both of my kids were in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) after birth. They slept in their own beds there. I bought a baby monitor with a lack-of-motion detector, and I used that too. Then, I gradually worked my way out of their rooms after about 6-8 weeks of age.

I used a baby sling during the day, because I love being close to my kids. But I also love putting them to bed at night and having a little space. Worked for us.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have never co-slept with my kids (they have when they are sick or have had a bad dream). I personally do not think it is a good idea (just my opinion, I'm not trying to bash anyone at all) but I guess my one question to those who have done or do this is: When do you and your husband or significant have grown up time? I can't imagine what it can do to a couple’s sex life to have a child or children in your bed every night.

If you don't co-sleep and you're not planning on it, why do you care how and where other people do it? You're really opening a can of worms here.

What she said!?!? I'm not sure why anyone would wonder about this if it has no bearing on his or her life.

M
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    f you don't co-sleep and you're not planning on it, why do you care how and where other people do it? You're really opening a can of worms here.
    What she said!?!? I'm not sure why anyone would wonder about this if it has no bearing on his or her life.

I wonder about things all the time that I don't personally do. She was curious, so she asked. We may have educated many people out there who are thinking of doing it, so the "can of worms" may all be worthwhile.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    lol @ married people having a sex life

lol @ married people WITH small KIDS having a sex life...

sorry, i don't like to share my bed with my kids, and it has nothing to do with sex, more to do with being kicked, poked, strangled, squashed, pushed out, blankets taken off me....
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options

I wonder about things all the time that I don't personally do. She was curious, so she asked. We may have educated many people out there who are thinking of doing it, so the "can of worms" may all be worthwhile.
    [/quote]

Very true!
    M