Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options

Replies

• kraz4fun
    kraz4fun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also considered this surgery as my insurance would have paid for it as well. Ultimately after sitting through all of the informative classes and speaking with the surgeon I realized it was not a quick fix. It would be a long, painful and emotionally trying journey, just as "healthy" weight loss is. I decided that if I wanted to lose the weight bad enough to put myself through a major surgery, which risks are involved, WHY can't I be just as disciplined and do it the healthy way and influence my husband and kids to be healthy as well?? I didn't want to be the mom that couldn't eat at her kids functions or eat the breakfasts that they cook for me or popping pills all the time. I guess my decision was based mostly on how it would affect my family and my children. I wanted to teach them that hard work is rewarding. Please don't get me wrong, I completely agree that some people do NEED the surgery and I know it has saved a lot of lives, but it's definitely just as hard, if not harder than regular diet and exercise so please do not make this decision lightly. Best of luck in whatever you decide!!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.
    I've read lots of WL surgery experiences on here and it sounds like it is NOT the easy way out, just the opposite. It sounds painful and debilitating and no way would I suffer like that.

On the other hand, it works for many.

Whatever you choose, I wish you peace and happiness :flowerforyou:
  • TOgal
    TOgal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    beautiful post!!! Congrats on the weight loss, absolutely love your attitude and strength!
    It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind.

You know it's taken me a while to lose close to 120lbs, but I wouldn't trade the journey or the process for anything. During this time I've discovered how strong and capable I am, I've developed self confidence and have taken control of my life. I've leant alot about myself during this process and I love my healthy, fit, sexy life! I'm not going to credit any stupid surgery - I did this, ME! I am my greatest accomplishment!

Sure, you can have a medical procedure and completely alter the way you live your life for the rest of your days, or you can change your life yourself and gain so much pride and respect for yourself that way. So the pills made you put on weight, so what, you have the power to change your own life for the better.

Don't choose the knife. Do it slowly, live a health filled enjoyable life. I've done it, so can you.
  • TOgal
    TOgal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ...so in the end I will not lose a whole lot of money if I gain it all back.
    I feel if a person is already thinking to themselves, "if I gain it all back, I won't be out a whole lot of money" then that person most definitely is NOT ready for such a huge decision.

EXACTLY
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but....

I know three people in my family (my mom and two cousins) who has done the surgery.
    One of my cousins gained ALL her weight back (within 3 years), my other cousin stayed the same after losing but she is pregnant now and has gained 30 pounds and she is only 5 months pregnant and my mom has had 4 follow up surgeries because of infections, she almost died during the last surgery

I will never ever do that surgery, I don't care if it takes me 2 years to get this 100 pounds off me, but I will do it without all those complications, AND YOU CAN DO IT TOO.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would never recommend WLS for anyone who has less than 100 lbs to lose.

Here's the deal with Weight Loss Surgery - most people who get it gain the weight back within 5 years. Because WLS doesn't address the problem. It forces you to eat less, but doesn't get to the heart of the issues of why you are over weight nor does it teach you how to eat normally for the long run.

Wonderfully said. I work on a bariatric surgery floor, and we had to go to a new patient seminar to see what was being taught. Surgery is a tool, but doesn't fix your mind, and SO many of us gained weight because of our minds. In order for surgery to succeed, you have to be completely willing to change your mind and the way you act towards food.

For me, it was simple...do I want to give up NEVER eating a Thanksgiving meal again? Do I want to give up caffeine forever? Do I want to take away some of the joy I get from food, just to be smaller, when I could do it on my own? Definitely not. Not to mention that these surgeries can have massive negative side effects that can develop into problems later on.

If you want to do it, go through the classes every week for 6 months, but also really try the good old fashioned way. Use this site to count calories, exercise and eat healthy. I bet you'll see a BIG difference in those 6 months, if you really commit to it.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    A coworker has done lapband and is seeing great results-- with little pain from the surgery.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

You can do this on your own. If you were so obese that you were in danger of hurting yourself by exercising, then I would say go for it. Or in other words, if your weight was so high, that you were disabled by it. That is who this surgery is really meant for.

I wish more people would realize this!
  • jessashcher
    Options
    100 lbs. is not that much to lose if you look at it in small increments, I have a sister in law who had the lap band surgery, that was about 5 years ago, she started at around 375 lbs and within a year she was down to 150 lbs. She was always sick, couldn't keep anything down, had to puree her food for a very long time, she now has seizures since the surgery and has to take medication for the rest of her life because of it, I have heard other horror stories about this procedure, and by the way she may have lost all that weight and her insurance covered most of it, but they would not cover surgery to have the excess skin removed, and she can't afford that, so now she is walking around with so much extra skin just hanging there and she looks sick all the time, constantly at the doctors, so before you decide to have this surgery because it's not going to cost you much you need to look at all the costs that come with it afterwards, like medications for the rest of your life if something goes wrong or the cost of having to have surgery to remove the extra flab that has nowhere to go after you lose all the weight. Some people on here say do what you think is best, but as for me and what I have seen and heard about this I say don't do it. you can lose it all on your own, be healthy and get tone at the same time and you won't incur those extra costs that you are not even thinking about.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Well, my thoughts on the subject are like this-you are going to have to learn how to eat properly and exercise with the band anyway, so why not really try again without the band? I don't think you give yourself enough credit. You are MUCH stronger than you think you are. Look at all the people on here who have lost over 100 lbs? My initial goal was 130 lbs to lose (260 to 130). Very overwhelming. But you can't look at that. You have to focus on one day at a time, even one hour at a time some days. All the effort you will put into the surgery takes work. Not to mention the risks. If you can put the effort into the classes, you can put that time into finding and trying new recipes and beginning a workout program. I'm not against surgery, I considered it for myself, but decided against it. You know what's best for you. Best of luck!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I truly thought about it -- and I have known some folks who have done it, mostly all have gained it back or look like hell with flabby skin and no muscle tone - I thought "If I can cut myself down to 1 oz. of food 5 times a day on my own, I can lose the weight without surgery so why would I put myself through that?"

The first few weeks after the surgery are horrendous and there is bandage changing and leakage and yuck! Take a deeper look into your weight gain. Write down your weight, as you remember it, through your weight gain and see how long it took to put it on. Take a deeper look inside of yourself. Many of us are in denial about the true cause of our weight gain. Depression and anxiety alone can aid in the weight gain, not just the meds.

If you decide to do it, I hope it works for you... but this is not a rollercoaster, this is your life. Treat your body right and it will thank you.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes the classes are for maintaining weight loss, and also an evaluation, psych evaluation, etc etc etc. All these things to make sure you are qualified.

I understand that I need to change my eating habits and fitness habits......but like I said, losing 100 pounds is overwhelming. It is like I need a jump start of some sorts to get me moving in the right direction. The reason I am considering it is because like I said my insurance covers it...and I just pay a very small percentage of it...so in the end I will not lose a whole lot of money if I gain it all back.

I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.

Think smaller and hopefully you'll be less overwhelmed. You're not losing 100 pounds in a day, a week, a month or maybe even a year. You can lose a pound or more a week, every week for a year and by this time next year you'll be 50 pounds lighter. But you're only thinking about losing that 1 pound a week.

You'll be exercise 3 times a week or more for the first month. Then at the start of the new year up that to 4 times a week, then 5, then 6. Go for walks. Run, skip, bounce, dance, laugh -- anything to get moving. Moving burns calories. Calories burned = weight loss with the right eating.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have one friend who had had great success with her Lap Band procedure. However, she was in a much different situation than you. She's has to be extremely careful with what and how much she eats. Like someone else here mentioned, 4 oz at at time is about it. That's about half a cup of many foods. And she really has to watch certain types of carbs; they can cause issues even at small quantities.

She has definitely had great success with losing the weight though. It's taken her about 4 years to lose about 180 pounds. She's trying to lose 20 more to reach her goal weight of 200. She's 5'3". So, even when she's at her goal, her BMI will be over 35. She's also quite physically active, which has helped tremendously. She does have some loose skin, but her insurance will cover a lift of everything below the belly button. So she's going to get that done when she's happy with her weight.

She's quite happy with her procedure. But just watching the struggles she faces, I'm glad that I don't have to endure them. I could not handle the thought of having the possibility of vomiting daily if I took one bite too many.

Whatever you decide is your journey to weight loss and better health, just make sure it's really the path you want to take. You'll be the one walking it daily. Make sure you have all the information you need, and don't let anyone rush you into any decisions.
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just think you can do this on your own. I started this journey at 270 pounds and have managed to get down to 211 so far (6 months) and there are people who have started at alot higher weights than that and have been successful without surgery. I understand what the "requirements" are, but you being 230 pounds and still young, I don't think that risking your life to get surgery is the right decision. Do you work? You would have to take off of work for months I assume and not be able to do much of anything during that time. This is a lifestyle change and unless you can go through the process of understanding what you are doing wrong to be overweight and are willing to make the sacrafices and decisions daily to lose the weight, in the long run you will be right back to where you started or worse. Just wanted to put my opinion out there.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My recommendation for this is to do it as a last resort.. My new job covers it too, but I wont do it unless I have to. I understand your curiousity because I have been there, done that.. Then I decided that no matter what it will be a nutrition adjustment in my life, and you still have to exercise.. The point being is there is no magic pill or surgery that is 100% full proof without any side affects. My Step-Cousin went through the lap band surgery about 4 or 5 years ago, she did lose quite a bit of weight, but I did recently see her and her place and she is still buying the junk food, and her weight is picking up. So she didn't learn a thing...she just wanted an easy way to lose the weight without doing all the hard work. I opted to do it the hard way because I feel that I will feel better about myself if I work my butt off for it instead of having some surgery to cut off (in a way) part of my stomach... Your stomach will naturally shrink and your appetite will decrease.. you will start to crave the healthy foods more than the bad foods.. You just have to give it time,... Work your butt off, and you will appreciate it so much more.. I wish you the best of luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Surgery can be a life saver for some very obese people, but unless it was life or death, I would not recommend it.

You should consider the extra cost of skin removal that is nearly always necessary when you lose weight that fast. IMO, that saggy skin looks as bad (or worse) than fat. If you lose weight more slowly your skin will have more time to adjust.

If you are having a really hard time losing weight on your own, what makes you think you'll keep it off if you lose it with surgery?
  • Justice2012
    Justice2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone who has commented on this thread and taken the time to give me advice. My inbox is also flooded with messages from people who care and only want the best for me.

I appreciate everyone's answered..I really do. I read through them all and have a lot to think about. I promise to you all (and mostly to myself) that I will not rush into this, and will do my research on this. I would like to sign up for the classes at my hospital, but there is a small wait for that. So I have time to think this through. Plus I have 6 months of those classes which I can choose at the end that this is not for me.

Again, I thank you all for your thoughtful words and that you would even stop by this thread and give your opinion. I appreciate it very much. I guess I will kepp everyone posted as to what happens next :)
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My brother had weight loss surgery early this year. About the same time I started dieting so he wouldn't be going alone. I also knew that technically I qualified for surgery as well.

He went through the meetings, and still goes to a support group. He has lost 100 pounds since starting the process, and 80 since the surgery.

I have lost 50 hard fought pounds in the same length of time.

Having said that, I definitely don't wish we'd switched and I'd had the surgery. My reasoning for this is as follows:

I have really focused on eating right and healthy this time. I've made slow changes that yield lifelong results, These will be better for me in so many ways.

He has to constantly watch what he eats and second guess how sick he will get from the food.

The surgery recovery was ok, but you don't eat normally for a month before the surgery (protein shakes anyone?) and for the next 6 weeks afterwards. This is difficult, harder than any diet.

You must exercise, you're losing a ton of muscle with the fat due to how quickly your weight comes off.

You MUST stick to the diet to lose weight. It's so low calorie you may have depression, low blood sugar etc.

You MUST watch sugar intake for the rest of your life.

Eat wrong, and you'll end up in the bathroom with dire results.

With all that said, he is really glad he went through it, and with the results. You may be the same way..

But I'm willing to bet, given enough time, you could do the same. You don't gain weight overnight, don't expect to lose it that way either. Exercise, eat right, make good choices and it'll come off.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You must be prepared to change your diet/exercise habits FOREVER. No matter how successful the surgery is, you can undo all the good by eating badly and stretching out what's left of your stomach or by drinking too many calories. WLS is NOT a quick fix, and it does not give you a license to eat whatever you want.

I'd suggest, before you decide, that you commit to eating right and exercising for at least one year to make sure you can do the lifestyle change that's required. If you do that, you'll know that you can handle a permanent change. You may also find that you lose enough weight that you don't need the surgery.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would consider the options and go for what feels right. But I am a HUGE advocate for wls. I am 5'5" my highest weight was 304. I was miserable and depressed. I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in January of this year and have lost over 140 lbs and still losing. I am now 161 with a goal of 140. I do have to watch what I eat and exercise. Its a big change but I am not constantly hungry or worried about food. Yes when I eat too fast I throw up. Not every day or even evrry month. To the people who have said its the easy way out what is so wrong with that?????? Everyone wants a "miracle" when it comes to weight loss. There is effort involved but I know I have a great tool that if the scale even shows a slight gain I can go back to basics. Protein, veggies, then carbs and water water water. If you have lost weight doing it the "hard" way then u know all the effort you put into it so even if its just a tad bit "easier" for someone else to get sugery why is that so wrong? I am very healthy. My doctors are impressed. I have never had so much energy. Sometimes I think the naysayers are pissed b/c they worked so very hard to lose a fraction of what we have lost. Gaining it back is a possiblity but only if u are very lax and don't change anything. I have a cousin who is 500 lbs. She told me not to do it she had gotten down to 400 by doing it the hard way. Preached and preached the evils of wls. I am almost at goal and she gained her 100 back. She hates me for my success. Just research everything. And don't let the holier than thou fitness freaks on here discourage you!