My 3yr Old Won't Let Me Workout

Options
13»

Replies

• ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I with the others on here, you are the mom but I know thats easier said then done. Maybe a weird suggestion here but I know people that have done it. Do you know any kids that want to learn to be babysit but arent quite old enough to be left totally alone with your child? If so invite that child over to hang out with your daughter when you do your workout. Its good practice for the want to be babysitter, gets your daughter use to other people and give you some much needed YOU time.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So I have a 3 yr old girl who refuses to let me workout. I have tried including her - I even got her own little weights. Tried doing a dancing routine like Zumba ,etc. Its always the same she is into it for like 2 min and then stops and grabs onto my leg or is weaving in and out of my legs or needs something every 5 min. I have resorted to getting up at 5 am so I can work out in peace but find that this is leaving me with less sleep than I need and wears on me after awhile. Unfortunately waiting until she goes to bed doesn't work either as she refuses to go to bed without me and it ends up being a massive battle. I work fulltime and my husband is stay at home during the day and has a business at night so basically as soon as I'm off work he is working and I have the kids. Any suggestions?

Just say NO
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Looks like you only have two options... get up at 5 and find a way to stay energized throughout the day (or possibly going to bed earlier at night) or breaking the habit of going to bed with your daughter at night so you can take care of you at night and get that workout in.

ditto
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    does your gym have a child care center?

or are you working out at home?
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    does your gym have a child care center?

or are you working out at home?
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I generally only ever let my 2.5 yr old watch tv when I'm on the treadmill. So I play 1-2 episodes of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and he is thorougly engrossed and doesn't give me any trouble. Before I started doing that it was practically impossible to get my workout in until he was in bed (DH takes college classes in the evening so isn't available to help).
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just remember that different things are going to work during different seasons of your life. I've got 4 kids ranging in age from 9-2. Exercise is tough. There have been times in my life that getting up early worked and times that getting up early leaves me dead by 10 am. Ignore all of the people that tell you "Be the parent" I'm sure that you are doing everything you can to teach your children. What you don't want to teach her is that exercise feels like she's being punished. It sounds to me like she just wants to spend time with you after being apart. Try the idea of a special toy or coloring book so she can be in the same room as you and keep your workouts short. If that won't work, then find movement that you can sneek in. When my daughter was 3, I would do jumping jacks while she went potty before I helped her wipe and wash her hands. I do squats while I dry my hair. My 3 youngest kids love to play horse race, where we get on our imaginary horses and walk laps around the kitchen island for 15 or 20 minutes. We spend the time imagining what colors our horses would be and what we would do if a dragon came after us. Find what works for you and remember that this time is precious. Soon she'll leave you alone and you'll miss this.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was three she'd do the same thing. I told her that when mommy is playing with her weights she needs to stay back because she might get stepped on. This worked fairly well. Then one day she ignored the rule when I wasn't paying attention and I clocked her with a dumbbell. I felt horrible, but she hasn't tried to cling to me when I'm working out with weights since.

Hmm. That sounds like I'm advocating hitting your child- Which I'm not. If you're doing dance and stuff, have her do it in her own little area, maybe?
  • paigelandrum
    Options
    If you join a gym they often have a child care center where you can drop your child of for 30 minutes to 3 hours! Check out ballytotalfitness.com for a gym near you!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing. Will dance around with me for a few minutes then grab my legs, etc making it impossible to work out. I end up going to the basement and my husband or mom has to stay upstairs with her. I tried doing it once when I was alone with her and put my foot down and told her stop it and she literally cried for the duration of my 40 minute "stress relieving" workout....I feel your pain.

You could try distracting her-maybe let her watch something on netflix on your iphone if you have one while you do your video?
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    you are the parent... she should be doing as told- just my opinion

Ah if it were only that simple....I don't think this poster has any children...Lol
  • altweimann
    altweimann Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone. My three year old son comes in after about 20 mins and says" No exercising mama. My exercise has increased over the last months and he has noticed. I agree with allot people are saying. No matter how much I get him set up , it's about him trying to get his way. I just keep telling him that he will be able to see and play with me in XX mins.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    One of the things that kicked me off for hardcore exercise and burn was someone saying "We mums put ourselves last.. we should make time for us."
    So now i make time for me. I have to make time for me!

I get up early, pre 5am.. and go to the gym (or workout in the lounge) I go out after dinner to the gym - or I wait until the kids are in bed and then I workout out in the lounge.. I can't let my kids rule me when my health is at stake.

Yes, I know stubborn, strong-willed etc.. but she's also old enough to reason with (on some level) I would be working on her getting to bed without you so you can work out after she's in bed, there's plenty of gentle ways to go about this if you google... and it will take time.

My daughter (2.5) likes to exercise with me, and cuddle me, and run under my legs - I simply don't stop. It's hard to cuddle a moving mumma, and hard to weave between the legs when you get a (LIGHT) shove with the legs, you know?
  • vickicapone
    Options
    I'm brand new here and I'm shocked and disturbed at some of the responses to your question. Making a 3 year old "obey" you is a ridiculous suggestion. Forcing your child to go to bed without you deprives BOTH of you of cuddle time and, if you work, that might be the best time you have with her during the week.

My suggestion is to find a neighbor with a child who you can swap a half hour of babysitting with. You watch his/her kids(s) while they work out (or run errands, or whatever) and they return the favor. You could alternate days. Also consider incorporating her into your workout. Have her sit on your shoulders while you do push ups (do them on your knees). Give her a shoulder ride while you do squats, bench press her, do curls, leg extensions, etc... She just wants to be with you so let her.

IMO, the one thing you should never deprive your kids of is yourself. If it helps, my son is 5 now and he runs with me part of the way and then plays at the park (which I can see) while I run around the track. Also, the best workout I get during the week is the one I do at the playground. I do pull ups, burpees, squats, hanging leg lifts (abdominal).

My son's favorite exercise that he "helps" me with is when I lay flat on the floor. He stands at my head and I "hold on" to his ankles. I raise my legs and he pushes them back down to the floor. I lower my feet to within a couple of inches of the floor and raise them again for him to push back down. He laughs and feels like he's really helping (torturing) me... and he IS helping. The extra momentum of his push makes the exercise a bit more difficult AND his laugh makes ME laugh which is also good for those abdominal muscles, right?!

Involving them in the workout is the BEST way to show them love, teach them the importance of exercise, model good, healthy behavior. Scolding them, ignoring them, or whatever other process these people use to make them "obey" seems frustrating for both of you.

Good luck and feel free to write/email me if you want more suggestions on working out with her as she grows and gets older. I'm only 2 years ahead of you.

vicki
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    So I have a 3 yr old girl who refuses to let me workout. I have tried including her - I even got her own little weights. Tried doing a dancing routine like Zumba ,etc. Its always the same she is into it for like 2 min and then stops and grabs onto my leg or is weaving in and out of my legs or needs something every 5 min. I have resorted to getting up at 5 am so I can work out in peace but find that this is leaving me with less sleep than I need and wears on me after awhile. Unfortunately waiting until she goes to bed doesn't work either as she refuses to go to bed without me and it ends up being a massive battle. I work fulltime and my husband is stay at home during the day and has a business at night so basically as soon as I'm off work he is working and I have the kids. Any suggestions?

Ugh I hate these make your child obey replies. She's 3. If I try to workout when my kids are up, they try to climb all over me too. That's kids playing. Some of these comments are just making me cringe.

My situation is similar to yours. I work first shift and my husband works evenings and weekends. I work out after the kids go to bed. My son is also in a phase right now where he needs me to stay with him until he falls asleep. I wait until he's asleep, then I get up and go workout. I can't do it in the morning because it will wake up my kids in the morning, but it doesn't wake them up at night.
  • teresastrowz46
    teresastrowz46 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to balance it all...but you can do it. it sounds to me that your daughter just really wants some time with mommy. you're gone at work all day and she's with daddy. so when you get home, she's wants some time with you. give her half an hour of your attention...play dolls with her or do puzzles...just give her your full attention so she knows she's also important to you. Once she's had her time, make sure she knows that now it's your time to work out. invite her to join you, but if she decides not to, give her a few activites she can do independently. i also like the idea someone else had mentioned about having a special toy or activity she gets to do only during mommy's work out time. Hopefully once she gets her special mommy/daughter time she'll give you the time you need as well. and bedtime may be easier as well.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you are the parent... she should be doing as told- just my opinion

Ah if it were only that simple....I don't think this poster has any children...Lol

Or likely they have children with easy-going, "pleasing" personalities. Not every child can be shoved into a mold of their parents' making.
  • BuffyKicksButt
    Options
    Mine does the same thing. Will dance around with me for a few minutes then grab my legs, etc making it impossible to work out. I end up going to the basement and my husband or mom has to stay upstairs with her. I tried doing it once when I was alone with her and put my foot down and told her stop it and she literally cried for the duration of my 40 minute "stress relieving" workout....I feel your pain.

You could try distracting her-maybe let her watch something on netflix on your iphone if you have one while you do your video?

Thanks I was feeling a bit like a push over or something :)
  • mdelpha
    mdelpha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My son is 4. Yeah, I'm the parent and he should do what he's told but it's far harder to control the situation when you're trying to work out. I've resorted to getting up at 5am before he gets up in the morning. I do go to bed earlier these days but it's the only way I can fit in a workout.