people talking you out of dieting or acting funny about it

Options
13»

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I hear it all the time, you’re too petit, you’re already thin enough, live a little, eat a brownie once in awhile, bla bla bla! People don’t realize it’s somewhat verbally abusive. I get mad & fight back sometimes. Like when a coworker was saying, “I don’t like the way that diet stuff of yours, taste.” I retorted by saying, “Well, I think I can live with the taste & look like this (pointing at myself) or eating crap & looking like crap.” I finished if off with a bright cheesy smile. She never bothered me again.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    No, I have not encountered things like this, but I do feel very annoyed by those who cry for being "fat" and at the same time keep saying "oh I can't diet. Food is part of my life"...blah blah blah...
  • scorpiogirl100
    Options
    I didn't tell anybody that I was dieting...that way if I did slip up...then the only person that would know was me...it wasn't until after about 35 lbs people started noticing and yes some get a little weird about it...it's like they will say "what have you been doing" and I notice in the middle of saying "well I've been eating right and exercising" then I totally lose them in the conversation...it's like everybody is looking for an easy way to lose weight....Just tell your friends that it's YOUR body and you will do whatever the hell you want....good luck :wink:
  • fininski
    Options
    Theres this assumption that only overweight individuals need to lose weight. Its not like you should stop just because you are 1lb into your healthy weight! Thats not THE most healthy weight is it!
    The perception of these people too lazy to exercise (too harsh? i dont think so) is so so misguided.

Also very sad to see some people with unsupportive spouses :(
    I dont know what id do if my boyfriend didnt support what i was doing....I dont think it would go as well for a start!!!
  • tresschanda
    Options
    My mother is the worst.

Whenever I say that I'm buckling down on weight loss and exercising and eating healthy she shows up with four or five packets of chocolate cookies. Or chocolate bars. Or bottles of soft drink. Mostly stuff she doesn't even eat or like.

I'd like to think it's subconcious and not deliberate and when I ask why she does it she has weird reasons, such as: "Its for if you have friends coming over."

She needs to lose weight too and I think some part of her doesn't want me to be thinner than she is.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    yes! I stopped drinking soda a little over 8 months ago and I always get this *big ol gasp* whaaat??? lol I also decresed my intake of fried foods like fries... so if we go to inn n out with some friends. I order the burger protein style without fries... I get the weirdest looks.... but I'm doing this for ME... I know great rewards follow my hard work... =D

I stopped drinking soda too, even diet soda, and I get the same response all the time lol!