what kind of accent do you have?

Options

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be pedantic about this but, YES, you have an accent!

"Accent" just means the pronunciation you use. So, unless you don't speak, you have an accent. (And I believe that there are even "accents" in signed languages in terms of there being variations in the "phonology" of the signs.)

http://linguistlist.org/ask-ling/accent.cfm
    An accent is a way of pronouncing a language. It is therefore impossible to speak without an accent.

Some people may think they do not have an accent. Or you may think that there are other people who do not have an accent. Everyone has an accent. The term 'accentless' is sometimes used (by non-linguists) about people who speak one of the high prestige 'reference' accents (such as 'General American' or, less commonly, 'RP'), which are associated with people from a fairly wide region and with people of high social class. But these are also accents.

Okay, carry on. :happy:
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm a joisey girl
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a Russian accent
    Oh yes I was surprised to see how people here in US like accents, and I get a lot of "I like your accent" and "where are you from "
    But to me my accent annoys me sometimes :-)
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I speak Texan
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    G'day I have an aussie accent :) aye
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    RP. English. Home Counties.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'm from California, but people constantly ask me if I'm from Brooklyn or New York. Guess it's all that attitude.....
    side note: Aussie accents....mmmmmm
  • amelie2011
    amelie2011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    French accent...People think I am Spanish but I am 100% Cambodian but I was born and raised in France. Some people get confused really confused lol
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas, but I don't think I have your typical Texas accent.

Aussie, Irish and Scottish accents = :heart:
  • catattack13
    Options
    I gotta tell ya, I got wicked excited when I saw this post. I'm from Massachusetts and I got the whole droppin-my-Rs-thing, and talkin' supah fast.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    New Yawk here.....grew up on Lawn Eyeland....my wife is from TX and she thinks my accent is funny

lol. I grew up on Lawn Eyeland. (Levittown) I moved to the Pacific Northwest at age 12 so my accent is gone. I guess my "accent" now is United States West coast (?)
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I should have a german one, but aparently, that is not very obvious, I have been *accused* of being polish, skandinavian, irish, south african and australian ... lol
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Pure BBC English with no regional lilt. Some would say a bit posh!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Born in New York, grew up in Atlanta - basically, my strong New York accent was neutralized by age 10 and somehow I've ended up with something very... Canadian? I say "bo" like in "both" like "bowth." Beyond that, I don't know.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I want to hear some of you talk!

Mines midwest with a slight southern drawl. I really try not to use it but when I get excited or drunk it happens. :laugh:
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Native Vermonter! What the heck does a Vermonter sound like? T's disappear! You might as well not have them..

Vermont = Vermaw
    Scott = Scaw
    Mittens = Mi'uns
    Yes = A'yuh
    Downtown = Downstree'
  • hollerzmichaela
    Options
    Southern:)
    It's not super strong unless I'm really mad or upset. At that point, I sound really country. :P
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Mines midwest with a slight southern drawl. I really try not to use it but when I get excited or drunk it happens. :laugh:

yes, it would be interesting, would it not? I wonder if we would understand each other lol
  • BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    Canadian when I speak english and Quebecois when I speak french

but I don't have a french accent when I speak english and I don't have an english accent when I speak french.

Very confusing... my dad is American and my mom is Canadian so I'm a French-Canadian/English-American.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

I know aye! Would be pretty awesome to hear some of these accents!

And yes I have a strong aussie ocker accent haha!