Options

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    standard North American with no regional accent
  • VinVenture
    Options
    I'm usually a standard Londoner, Oxford when discussing subjects or politics, abit off NA without region when I'm joking, goofing off or similar. A great advantage to second language, I can theoretically learn anything :D
  • rubyosburn
    rubyosburn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a southern accent, people love to here that in Las Vegas :laugh:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Scottish, but tbf I live here :L
    I'm starting to pick up a bit of a weird accent on some words from my flatmate though, she's norweigan/english and sounds american on some words...it's odd. And now I'm starting to sound american.

FML :L
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have no accent. I'm from Western Canada. We speak clearly here (no, really. I remember reading somewhere that we Westerners have the clearest speech in all of English speaking-dom - accent wise).

I love accents because they're different, unique and soothing (in the case of drawls). I'm used to people who speak like me so when I find someone who speaks differently it's fun!

When I get around my family I DO tend to pick up a bit of an accent but I would be hard-pressed to identify and/or name it. It's ... hillbilly I guess. Hahaha. but I only slip into that when I'm around family.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I want to hear some of you talk!

Mines midwest with a slight southern drawl. I really try not to use it but when I get excited or drunk it happens. :laugh:

I know aye! Would be pretty awesome to hear some of these accents!

And yes I have a strong aussie ocker accent haha!

i think you should make a Youtube video.. just saying.
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Little bit of Canadian, eh? LOL... we don't actually say that as much as the stereotype. :explode: It's mostly used in questions, like someone from the USA would say "huh?" That's all. Oh, except one thing...

As once SO FAMOUSLY stated in a Molson Canadian Beer Commercial..... :bigsmile:

"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and French, not "American". And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!" :tongue:
    AWESOME!! Eh! ;)
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My friends call me the Ecuadorian Valley Girl.

I was borned and raised in Ecuador, so I have an south american accent, but after living in So.Cal for a long time I aquired the beloved "like" "dude" "sweet" lingo in my vocabulary, so its pretty perfect that now that Iive in AZ I'm the Ecuadorian Valley Girl.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I'm English and from the South West of England. Those from the SW of England are sterotyped as having farmer style accents, but apparently I'm exceptionally posh, so who knows! :laugh:
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Aussie (pronounced Ozzie) or Ossie as the Americans say :)

Specifically Queensland-ish, apparently we pronounce our double o's a bit difference to the southerners like our Pool is Pewl, and theirs is Pull :glasses:
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Brooklyn NY accent, I moved out of the city into a more country setting but Its crazy the different terms let alone accent.
  • adsumodo
    Options
    I've gotta wicked good Mainah accent :smile:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Middle Tennesseean with a smooth Southern accent, not country. Weird thing though - my son Conner has been playing games on XBox Live with a group of English boys for nearly a year now (way too many hours!) - they've become good buddies. Between that and too much time watching British Top Gear, he now has a Southern accent but with a British cadence sometimes, especially when he's on the headset with the English boys. I find that fascinating. I probably need to get out more.
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    had a British accent till I was 20, now my accent is like a regular californian with some odd british Aussie or chinese slang words thrown in here and there
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have HELLA a Northern California accent. When I get angry, however, my Cali spanglish comes out.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have russian accent, people often think I am british/autralian/german, lately it's been more british than any other! Hated my first 2 years here cause thats all that people would ask me everywhere I went, I would get asked where I am from like 1-4 times a day. Once I say I am from Russia they either ask if it's cold there (what do you think? yeaaa, duh) or say something about communists, I have been asked if I am a communist a couple times. I didn't even know communism existed till I learned it in history when I moved to US. In Russia "communism" wasn't discussed, in fact I never heard the very word till I came here, the only thing you would ever hear there is old people talking about "hard" times referring to that time period.
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bristolian, from Bristol, England!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Wow, those are all really cool accents. Thanks to you all for sharing!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    stock standard aussie twang for me :)

Not as bad as North queenslanders though. They even sound rough to me haha.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    CANADIAN! :)

Although, I do enjoy speaking in a rather exaggerated British accent from time to time. Think... Monty Python :D