For the non-meat eaters...

Options

Replies

• SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Also I think some people are vegetarian simply because they dislike the taste or texture of meat.

^^^^^^^^^That would be me....used to eat meat but gradually went off it. No ethical reason & I certainly ain't gonna preach.......just went off the taste.....bacon or a roast still smells mouthwatering tho! And I eat fish.....so, strictly speaking, I'm a pescatarian.

Sue :smile: x
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Vegan here!

A lot of people who choose not to eat meat, but still include dairy and eggs, might do it for a variety of reasons - they don't wish to fund unnecessary killing/suffering, environmental, or health reasons. If you want to get technical, you don't directly slaughter an animal to get an egg or a glass of milk.

However, a lot of vegetarians are simply uneducated about the realities of the egg and dairy industries, like how supporting the dairy industry is linked to supporting the veal industry, and the sometimes horrific living conditions of egg-laying hens, even those labeled "free range". Sometimes, the knowledge of these things is enough to get vegetarians to become vegan, but not all abstain from meat for animal welfare-related reasons. Also, they may not have found good vegan substitutes for eggs and cheese yet :)
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't get this whole "why is it okay?" ._. Like we have to ask for permission to eat certain things.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian

I dont like the idea of eating things that have made choices, moved around, have faces, mums and dads etc

Eggs, milk, cheese etc dont fall into that category but i never try and convince anyone to be veggie and i dont expect to have to justify my reasons

In most thing we are all different (wouldnt it be a sad place if everyone were the same)

I live with a meat eating husband and older child however my youngest has been veggie for a number of years now

I carried 2 children not eating meat or fish quite sucessfully and appear to be healthy enough (been veggie for 40 odd years)

Thanks

Diane
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't mind killing an animal for food. I am fine with the last ten minutes of that animal's life being horrible.

My issue with eating meat is the way that the animals are treated before they are killed. Their entire life in the factory farming industry is horrific, and should not be tolerated by anyone who calls themselves civilized (in my opinion). I feel that there is a lot of ignorance about factory farming, and a lot of people CHOOSE not to know.

I have recently found a store that sells meat from locally raised free range animals. I bought a couple of things, and after I do some more research, I hope to go back to eating meat a bit more regularly.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You know what a vegetarian that eats fish or eggs is called??? A liar.

Seriously though, I am not a vegan because I am wearing a leather belt, leather shoes, and have a leather wallet in my pocket. I also eat honey.

That being said, I don't eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy or oil. The last one there, oil, is infinitely harder to avoid than any of the others.

Anybody else here shooting for a total serum blood cholesterol level under 150???

6921816.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You know what a vegetarian that eats fish or eggs is called??? A liar.

lolol I just call them a picky omnivore.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Anybody else here shooting for a total serum blood cholesterol level under 150???
    Mine is under 150 - it tested at 136 last blood test I had.

That's from a high of 260-something.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Some people are vegetarian for esthetic rather than ethical reasons. They aren't interested in putting pieces of a dead animal in their mouth. It's not so strange -- look at the way humans look down on scavenger animals like vultures or hyenas. But when was the last time you killed your own meat?
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    But when was the last time you killed your own meat?

That would be this past Tuesday when I shot a deer!!!! Lots of lean meat in my future.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Raeyn! Were you shooting for a really low cholesterol or did it just happen?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Dropping the cholesterol is a happy side effect of being vegan... drinking lots of water helps with that, too.

It isn't why I went vegan, but I am glad that I had gotten a blood test before I did.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    That would be this past Tuesday when I shot a deer!!!!

This makes me sad :(
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Sorry to sadden you (being sincere not sarcastic). But since I am a meat eater, it is a great way to fill my freezer full of lean protein for less than $1.
  • nukie19
    Options
    If someone asks me, I generally say either that I'm a pescatarian or a vegetarian, although my eating habits are a little all over the place. Its just easier to have a 'box" to fit into than to explain to people exactly what I do and don't like to eat. For example, I'd love to give up fish, but since I don't eat cheese, I have a really hard time finding food when I go out to eat. (Never been a cheese eater, I just think its gross). And after watching Forks Over Knives, I've been really trying to cut down on any overt consumption of dairy (ie, ice cream or yogurt kinds of food), but I haven't completely cut it out - if you start really reading your nutrition labels, you will find dairy in tons of stuff that you never would have guessed.

And I changed my diet for my health, since I'm an ultramarathoner that eats healthy but I had high cholesterol until I changed to no meat except fish. So, calling me a liar is just a simple answer to the complex problem of finding food when other people feel the need to feed me. Just like its simpler to say I'm a vegetarian. :P
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    While I don't see the joy that some people do in hunting, I believe that it is a lot more ethical than buying factory farmed meat from the big stores.

IMO....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you can eat your boogers and that doesn't make you a cannibal....
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sadden you (being sincere not sarcastic). But since I am a meat eater, it is a great way to fill my freezer full of lean protein for less than $1.
    Well done, man. :drinker:
  • ErinRade
    Options
    I am a long time strict vegetarian. It depends on why people choose not to eat meat, there are so many reasons: environment, health, inhumane treatment of animals, etc. I always find it interesting that people who eat meat are more concerned and critical with how i eat than i am myself. I have never really enjoyed explaining to people why, unless they are truly open to my opinion: i have found very few people who are. They always have some argument. My advice (if you really want to know why we do what we do) is to watch some of these documentaries: Forks Over Knives; Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Food Matters, Food Inc........ There are also many books you can read, but i think most people would rather watch a less time consuming film.

For me personally i choose to eat the way i do for many reasons! these videos will help you understand them if you take the time to check them out :) They do not lecture, they just show you how being healthy can and will change your life!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    While I don't see the joy that some people do in hunting, I believe that it is a lot more ethical than buying factory farmed meat from the big stores.

The major cause of death of deer around here is semitrailers. Short of reintroducing lions and wolves and letting them chase down deer (when they can't find any housepets in backyards), there's not much you can do in populated areas for natural population control.