True or an excuse?

Options

Replies

• AmandaJoi25
    Options
    It costs more in my opinion. Buying fresh fruit and veg and organic meats is more than frozen or canned foods.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Healthy Dinner for 3:
    Flounder, steamed broccoli, baked potatoes - $12

Unhealthy Dinner for 3:
    Two Papa John's Pizzas - $28

It all depends on what you're eating either way. There's lots of expensive unhealthy dinners and lots of expensive healthy dinners. Sure, Mac & Cheese is cheap, but pub burgers with bacon, thousand island and mozzerella (how I miss our homemade MozzaBurgers!) definitely ain't cheap. Our healthy dinners have smaller portions of meat, or sometimes no meat at all, which cuts the costs. So some meals cost more now that we're eating healthy, some meals cost less.

Overall my grocery bill has stayed about the same, a tiny bit less (we're actually eating the produce now instead of pitching it after it wilts). However my dining out bill has been cut by half. We still go out to eat, just not as often and we're not getting as much food when we do eat out. We don't get appetizers or dessert, we drink water instead of soda, I split a plate with my 8 year old, etc. Husband and I take our own lunches now, which is way cheaper than going out.

For us it's been cheaper. I can see though for some people how it would not be cheaper.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I think it's an excuse because I myself used to use it.

I find planning every meal and only buying what you need means a shop is cheaper and you're not tempted by offers on junk food in the shop thinking you might need it.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It costs more in my opinion. Buying fresh fruit and veg and organic meats is more than frozen or canned foods.

Non organic meat is still healthy though. And canned/frozen veggies can be just as good as fresh :]
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Well so far I am spending a lot more money at the grocery store ever since starting this weightloss journey. I'm eating a lot more protein and veggies and a lot less carbs. I used to be a hardcore couponer and basically bought whatever I could get for free or super cheap - which meant lots of pasta, random treats, prepackaged meals, etc. Now fewer of the things that I stock up on have coupons to go with them so I find that I'm spending sometimes double what I spent before. It's a shock to the wallet but I still watch for free/cheap deals on the things that I use NOW, and stock up when I get the chance (pasta sauce, frozen/canned veggies, whole grain pasta, tortillas, etc). I'm just not able to get my grocery bill down quite like I used to since I look at a lot of the freebie deals now and think 'that would really not help me toward my goal'.

We are also eating a lot less fast food and takeout now though so that probably helps balance the overall food costs out a little bit.... Although when we DO get fast food for whatever reason, I don't just live off of the Dollar Menu anymore so my fast food is actually more expensive when we actually get it.... LOL
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    It's more expensive. I have tried the numbers it is terrible and I hate it but I am worth it.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Excuse. My family is on a budget of about $75/week for 5 of us. We eat healthy just fine but it takes work.

That's amazing! You should share some tips!

Yes...please do!! That's better than I can do!!! :)

I buy produce in season, stock up when I can and freeze. You would be surprised some things that freeze well. My kids just had cantaloupe frozen when it was Buy 1 get 2 Free. They see it like as much of as a treat as ice cream. Also use coupons matched to the weeks sales and again stock up when I can.

A lot is saved buying meat on sale, or marked down when close to sell by date. Meat is more of a side in my family which saves a lot of money there. I also stretch meats into multiple meals. A whole chicken will make 4-5 meals for us. I also bake a lot of things, and sometimes make our crackers, bread tortillas etc.

Like I said it takes work but can be done.

I am really happy that you can do this and well done for making all that effort. I myself have done that when I lived in Australia. What would you suggest however for someone like myself, who lives in a tiny London flat that barely has a freezer at all? And definitely wouldn't fit one. Surely that puts a cramp in those plans? Perhaps it isn't so easy for every person/family out there? I have friends that live in a flat the size of ours with a family of 4! I have plenty of money to buy healthy food. Just saying, I can see how that wouldn't work for a lot of people.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    And what exactly makes wheat the worst thing you can consume? That is a very bold statement.

If you are truly interested in how wheat affects your health, I suggest reading the book Wheat Belly.
    I do not consume wheat for reasons other than weight loss, which is mainly what this book is geared towards, but it is EXTREMELY informative on how it affects every system in your body.

You can check out their blog here: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

In a nutshell, a slice of bread has a higher glycemic load than a spoonful of sugar.
    When you eat wheat, it causes your blood sugar to sky rocket.
    60-120 minutes later, your blood sugar plummets.... then you eat more wheat, and the roller coaster starts again.
    Physiologically over time, this causes your A1C to become higher. A high A1C can lead to pre-diabetes and diabetes.

People who cease their consumption of wheat have been shown to not only lose weight, BUT REVERSE their diabetes (as well as a host of other unsavory health issues.)

There is A LOT of information on this out there, not just this book. I think this particular book is a good place to start.
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    It all depends on what you ate before and after.

Cheapest:
    Locally, I can buy 1 Little Caesars large pepperoni pizza for $5. It is enough food for 1 person for day (Over 2400 calories).

Realistically, when you go on a business trip with your co-workers, you aren't fixing your own food. You're eating out and probably getting some kind of fast food item. Do you take the $4 grilled chicken salad that has 300 calories, or a $1 McDouble that has 500 calories?

Fast, frozen food at home? Party pizzas are like $1.50 and 800 calories. Lean cuisine frozen meals? $2.00 for 300 calories if they are on sale.
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well if you are eating healthy it might be more on the pocket book when you go to the store, but if you eat unhealthy it is more in doctor visits, gym memberships, clothing, and so on. So really it is better to eat healthy even if it is expensive when you are at the store.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This is the ting though - healthy food does not have to be organic. It doesn't have to be steak and chicken breasts.
    Lean ground beef and chicken drumsticks (remove the skin) are just as good.
    Also, I think a lot of people put too much meat on their plates - about 120 g raw weight meat is an adequate serve for most people, not a half chicken breast at around 250-300g.
    Produce - fresh when in season, but actually eat it FFS. Of course it costs more if you just hiff it out. Be realistic and buy less of it, or actually eat what you've bought. A head of broccoli here, in season, 49c. out of season? $3.49 and 1/3 the size.
    If that's not possible, buy frozen - but don't buy fancy steamfresh gimmick frozen vegetables - buy bags of frozen peas or or cauliflower or beans or corn or whatever you fancy, and a microwave steamer bowl.
    Got a yard? Grow your own. things like squash and courgettes you really have to try super-hard to kill. Got a balcony in an apartment? You can still grow stuff like lettuces, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, beans in planter boxes and they look pretty : )
    bulk casseroles, spaghetti sauces meatloaf and so on out with lentils or other legumes, or grated vegetables.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My grocery bill tells me it is way more expensive. I still shell out the money for healthy stuff, but it seems really pricey.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you ate before and after.

Cheapest:
    Locally, I can buy 1 Little Caesars large pepperoni pizza for $5. It is enough food for 1 person for day (Over 2400 calories).

Realistically, when you go on a business trip with your co-workers, you aren't fixing your own food. You're eating out and probably getting some kind of fast food item. Do you take the $4 grilled chicken salad that has 300 calories, or a $1 McDouble that has 500 calories?

Fast, frozen food at home? Party pizzas are like $1.50 and 800 calories. Lean cuisine frozen meals? $2.00 for 300 calories if they are on sale.

Fast food at home? Can spread some peanut butter on some wholegrain bread and grab an apple out of the fridge faster than you can heat any frozen meal, and for cheaper. You can poach an egg in a cup in the microwave in 30 seconds.
  • mariewithers
    Options
    In the UK it is far more expensive to eat healthier than convenience foods. The government are aware of this yet do nothing about it. There was a proposal to junk food but it never happened.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think it's an excuse. If people are smart about it, it can definitely be cheaper to eat healthier and at home too. Boxed and frozen dinners are often expensive and last one meal. A bunch of different healthy ingredients can be cheaper and make a filling meal plus leftovers. Our grocery bill dropped when I started buying whole foods, cooking more from scratch, and we stopped eating out/ordering in.

One big thing that helps that most people do not bother to do is meal planning. I sit down every Sunday and plan out our meals for the entire week. My fiancee and his daughter both get to have a "pick night" where they choose what they want me to make, and then I pick out the rest of the week. I try to use recipes that are using the same ingredients or use up stuff we have in the pantry and then make out my grocery list. Eventually I want to be a "couponer" and try to save even more that way. There are some weeks I've gone to the store for just a handful of items and we've eaten big meals all week. I also stock up on healthy (non-perishable or frozen) items when they go on super-sale. It's do-able, you just have to plan and be smart about it instead of throwing a bunch of $1 frozen pizzas in the cart on a whim.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    In the UK it is far more expensive to eat healthier than convenience foods. The government are aware of this yet do nothing about it. There was a proposal to junk food but it never happened.
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." - Ronald Reagan
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Also, I think a lot of people put too much meat on their plates - about 120 g raw weight meat is an adequate serve for most people, not a half chicken breast at around 250-300g.
    Isn't that dependent on their macro/calories goals, which is largely outside the scope of this conversation?

Your suggestion is roughly, what... 4 oz? That's a typical service according to manufacturers. At ~20g protein per 4oz serving, I'd have to eat 10 of your meals per day to hit my protein mark (obviously that takes away protein from other sources, but I'm oversimplifying for the sake of this conversation). That ain't going to happen. So while you don't have to agree with me eating 8oz of chicken breast or a 12oz steak, for those of us with higher calorie/protein goals a traditional serving just doesn't cut it.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I think it's neither. It's a lack of education or time in many cases. My mom managed to feed 5 us well and healthy on a VERY tight budget. She also made her own tortillas, pinto beans, biscuits (from scratch not BisQuick), etc. We ate a lot of white flour but our foods didn't have a lot of chemicals and such added. We also lived in Northern California where product is cheap in season. The thing is she knew HOW to cook and how to shop, looking at more then just the price per jar of peanut butter but how much it cost per ounce. She also had my dad to help out. Not everyone was taught to cook or how to shop. I have multiple friends that can not cook because their parent didn't want to take the time to teach them and now they are a single parents with small children that work full time. It's easy to say "You're making an excuse" but some time the possible just isn't feasible because the knowledge isn't there.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    the idea that it is more expensive to eat healthily has always annoyed the hell out of me. Since when was a 1 kg bag of oatmeal expensive? or a bag of carrots? frozen veges? apples? chicken is dirt cheap in the UK anyway. eggs are cheap (the barn kind particularly if you have no conscience). Peanut butter? Bag of potatoes, dirt cheap. Baked beans. cheap.
    It is easier to eat cheap and healthy in my book then cheap and rubbish.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    For me, eating healthier is way more expensive! The lean cuts of meat, the fish (salmon, Talipia, etc) are much more. Fresh veggies, and fruits....yes, I pay more. But I don't care, because this is what i have to do. The BS foods are always on sale....you can go to fast foods and eat off the $1 menu....and if you go out to eat, the healthier foods are always more than the not so healthy.