Toning but no real results...?

Options

Replies

• VinVenture
    Options
    Like I said, your body is probably used to it. Switch it up! Try lifting heavy weights and let those muscles work. You'll keep burning calories throughout the day after lifting :D
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Yup, this is exactly what I am doing :) You must challenge your body, cardio is good, but you need more weight lifting not only Cardiovascular training as your body will get used to it or actually it is already stuck :)
    Like I said, your body is probably used to it. Switch it up! Try lifting heavy weights and let those muscles work. You'll keep burning calories throughout the day after lifting :D
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    How is your calorie intake looking? You wont lose unless it is spot on! Consistency is what ya need

Edit to add: I meant spot on as in calorie deficit not "clean" eating
  • mlrosa123
    mlrosa123 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
  • mlrosa123
    mlrosa123 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm really good about staying under. Today I had 722 left.
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    I can't add any more info than everyone else did, EXCEPT about the birth control.

Contrary to popular belief, BC does NOT cause noticeable weight gain. It does, however, cause a change in hormones, which cause some women to crave more sweets, which do cause weight gain! Get back on that birth control...it's not the cause of your plateau.
    Options
    722 under your goal for the day? Too much cardio and little food can cause problems described here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    Options
    Oh and sweets only cause weight gain when in a calorie surplus
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ^^I love Lyle Mcdonald.

Awesome.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

There's the problem. You're off by 722. You should aim to have 0 left. But over/under by 50-100 and you're good.
    Options
    Ooh she looks really good ^^ :]
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've been working out almost every day since April 2011... I started @ 216 and now I'm at a plateau range of 180-190.... I see my body looks more toned but I haven't lost any weight or inches since September. I want to say its due to a birth control that I began taking in sep and I've decided to quit ... Is this possible that it has caused me to stop losing weight!? I stopped 3 weeks ago but I'm still the same. Right now I'm at 190. I want to be at 150 by April.... Can you offer me advice? I started eating breakfast a month ago... And only ate fast food once in 3 weeks... I eat 2 egg whites and one egg for breakfast... For lunch I eat tuna sandwich or ham and cheese.... And the bad part is I eat dinner after 7 sometimes 8. I am nor perfect .., I still eat cookies sometimes lol ummm but I workout A LOT! Monday's: 1 hour Zumba + 1 hour cardio and weights at the gym Tuesday: 1 hour cardio at the gym and some weight Wednesday: same as Monday Thursday: body pump + 1 hour cardio Friday: cardio at gym 1 hr same sat and sun.... Everyday!!!!! Please help :)

Mlrosa123, first of all, I want to say congratulation on your loss. The food pyramid is the best way to eat. Portion control and moderation is the key. Don't deprive yourself of anything that you like to eat, just include the food into your daily calories. If you want a cookie, you can have one. Don't let food make you feel guilty.

I'm going to suggest you incorporate Tae Bo into your workout routine. You will start to see a difference, trust me. I always recommend Tae Bo and a lot of people don't like to see this recommendation. Tae Bo is a good workout . I was like you, for months I wasn't losing inches. I wasn't doing Tae Bo much. I was focus on other workouts. In October, I've decided to create a 30 Day Tae Bo program and in 27 days, I've lost 5 inches. I only measure three areas of my body and I've lost inches in all three areas. 5 inches may not be much to some people, but it's a big number to me. I'm not aiming to lose scale weight. I'm aiming to loss fat. Scale weight loss and Fat loss aren't the same thing.

I don't lift heavy. I never will. For me, heavy weights will not make a difference. I don't even have to lift heavy to get the results that I'm aiming for. I do strength train, but I rather do cardio strength than do solo strength training. Billy has a workout called Tae Bo Ripped Extreme, it's a workout for women. Billy is the only man that's in the workout. It's a cardio sculpt workout. I've used my 3 pound weight with this workout. I've also used my 3 pound weights with Billy's Boot Camp Cardio Sculpt. Some people think that a person can't get a workout using 3 pound weights, but I disagree big time. I see a difference in my arms. For cardio sculpt/cardio strength workouts, you don't have to use 20 pound weights. Within seconds, you will want to put down those 20 pounds weights.

Do whatever you want to do, but I believe that Tae Bo can help you. You can check out Billy's workouts on Collagevideo.com. I'm doing his PT 24/7 program right now and I'm loving it. Tae Bo is my number one workout. I will also recommend it to people. You can find Billy's workout at Walmart, Target, etc.

I like working out to men workouts. Workouts that's lead by men. If you are looking to do some strength workouts. You can try the following as well. You can check these workouts on collagevideo.com and youtube. You can find these workouts on Amazon.com for cheaper than collagevideo.com.

1. Abs Diet 2. Terry is so fun.

2. Men's Health 15 Minute Workout. Terry again

3. Men's Health Belly Off: The Body Weight Routine

4. Men's Health Belly Off: The Strength Training Routine

5. Supreme 90 Day is a good program as well. It's a muscle confusion program. You get 10 dvds for $19.99 or cheaper. I've seen the program at Bed Bath and Beyond for $9.99. You can find the program at Bed Bath and Beyond, Walgreens, Target, Academy, Walmart, The Dollar General Store, etc.

Whatever you choose to do, you can do this. Believe in yourself. Baby steps is the key.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Any type of cardio will suffice, it doesn't have to include Billy Blanks to work. Something as simple as the free Couch to 5k running program that can be found on the web easily via Google search worked for me, I started in July and completed it in October, I'm now able to run for about 40min. without a rest. It starts you off nice and slow, check it out if you enjoy running! Bottom line for exercise though....do what you ENJOY. :drinker:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

There's the problem. You're off by 722. You should aim to have 0 left. But over/under by 50-100 and you're good.
    This is a valid point as well.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've been working out almost every day since April 2011... I started @ 216 and now I'm at a plateau range of 180-190.... I see my body looks more toned but I haven't lost any weight or inches since September. I want to say its due to a birth control that I began taking in sep and I've decided to quit ... Is this possible that it has caused me to stop losing weight!? I stopped 3 weeks ago but I'm still the same. Right now I'm at 190. I want to be at 150 by April.... Can you offer me advice? I started eating breakfast a month ago... And only ate fast food once in 3 weeks... I eat 2 egg whites and one egg for breakfast... For lunch I eat tuna sandwich or ham and cheese.... And the bad part is I eat dinner after 7 sometimes 8. I am nor perfect .., I still eat cookies sometimes lol ummm but I workout A LOT! Monday's: 1 hour Zumba + 1 hour cardio and weights at the gym Tuesday: 1 hour cardio at the gym and some weight Wednesday: same as Monday Thursday: body pump + 1 hour cardio Friday: cardio at gym 1 hr same sat and sun.... Everyday!!!!! Please help :)

I am only responding to the birth control concern...

While I was taking birth control I did not gain any weight, however, losing weight was something of a struggle. In fact, I was doing P90X with extra cardio eating around 1500 calories a day and staying exactly the same for 2 months at the beginning of this year. I stopped taking the birth control in August this year for various reasons. Recently I entered the Holiday Burn the Fat Challenge on Tom Venuto's website. I still eat around 1500 calories daily, I still lift heavy 3 days a week, and I still do my cardio at the same frequency (going to gym, not P90X, but same amount of exercise). I have lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and already my "fat pants" no longer fit.

You might want to discuss options with your doctor, as I started seeing results only after changing this one thing...stopping the pill.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I bulk up really easily I have to be careful not to get too toned when i lose weight. I wonder if genetics plays a part??? my sister is like that too, she runs and goes to the gym, but has to be careful not to get her arms too muscular ! she can bulk up just from playing the guitar
  • chrissyKar
    Options
    Any type of cardio will suffice, it doesn't have to include Billy Blanks to work. Something as simple as the free Couch to 5k running program that can be found on the web easily via Google search worked for me, I started in July and completed it in October, I'm now able to run for about 40min. without a rest. It starts you off nice and slow, check it out if you enjoy running! Bottom line for exercise though....do what you ENJOY. :drinker:

good advice !!
  • chrissyKar
    Options

good advice !!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    ! she can bulk up just from playing the guitar

:indifferent:

Sorry I can't tell if you're joking or not. >.>