Is nothing sacred anymore?

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Also, am I missing something? I didn't see in the article about banning to story or about it presence in schools. I just read that a special ed teacher wrote an alternative that he invites parent to read as well as encourges them to discuss the issue with there children.
  • I think it's a great message. Prove your self worth by working hard and promoting your strengths. That's the real world. If you work hard, people will naturally want you and gravitate to you. If you sit on your butt like a lump and playing the roll of a bullied victim, no one is going to want to use you for things. Pick yourself up, and move forward!
    I agree with that thought.. I just diasagree that the story portrays that

What GorillaNJ Said
    What? he strikes out into the wilderness with a dentist elf, fights a giant snow monster thing.. discovers an island of toys that he comes back to rescue... AFTER going back, facing his fears and fighting that monster again- saving his father, mother, and POA from certain death. THEN he saves Christmas with his blinged out nose! Rudolf is a straight up PIMP.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    We are raising a country of pansys...this is the price we pay

The pussification of society I tell you!!

Absof***inglutely!! I can't stand it.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/rudolph-red-nosed-reindeer-bullied/story?id=15114491

Ok, so I do understand where they're coming from, I really do. I work in a school, I know how terrible bullying can be. But can't they leave my treasured childhood favorites alone!? Rudolph is one of my fave Christmas tv specials!! Lol
    Isn't Rudolph being bullied and then Favorited because he saved Christmas the reason he is a favorite among us all? I mean really, Rudolph is nice.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    I thought that was the whole point of the story! Yes, roudoulf got bullied, and pushed around. What did he do? Manned up and became the most bad *kitten* reindeer of them all!

That used to be the way to deal with bullies, was to believe in yourself and stand up for your self. Now they tell the kids to go to the teacher. I hate that.

I agree.

Agreed 100%...
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I thought that was the whole point of the story! Yes, roudoulf got bullied, and pushed around. What did he do? Manned up and became the most bad *kitten* reindeer of them all!

That used to be the way to deal with bullies, was to believe in yourself and stand up for your self. Now they tell the kids to go to the teacher. I hate that.

I don't know, I used to agree with you until my 5-year-old started getting bullied. A kid that young doesn't have the emotional skills to understand what it means to stand up for herself. Kids that age see things in black and white, right and wrong, no gray areas. My kid is a rule-follower, and she knows that it's against the rules to tattle, and it's also against the rules to hit or be mean to someone. For adults, we know there are exceptions to these rules, but for her 5-year-old brain, it means she's not allowed to tell the teacher or stand up for herself when someone knocks her down on the playground or calls her a baby because she's short. So yeah, I think it's important to teach kids to stand up for themselves, but when it starts this young, that's a hard lesson for them to understand.

I am sorry your daughter is being bullied... but isn't it best for her to learn how to deal with it now at 5... then use that lesson the rest of her life?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    My mom is a elementary school teacher and there are schoold in her district where kids can't RUN on the playground!!! Seriously? NO RUNNING?!?!?

Things like this are because people have become ridiculously litigious. Somehow people forgot that when kids run around and play, even with supervision, pure accidents can happen. They want someone ELSE to be responsible for everything.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member

Please, he does jack $h!t. He sits around and pouts until Santa says "wait, this could be useful". If he actually DID something, it would be a good story with a good lesson. Instead, it says you are worthless until someone tell you other wise.

What? he strikes out into the wilderness with a dentist elf, fights a giant snow monster thing.. discovers an island of toys that he comes back to rescue... AFTER going back, facing his fears and fighting that monster again- saving his father, mother, and POA from certain death. THEN he saves Christmas with his blinged out nose! Rudolf is a straight up PIMP.

Seriously, Rudolph is the shizznit
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,342 Member
    I read the article, and this comment below it was so good, I thought I would share it:

I'm 23 years old and grew up with these classics! I find it very hard to believe that Rudolph, Charlie Brown, and the Grinch are significant factors in any kind of Christmas special, whose main goal is to convey the true meaning of Christmas: Rudolph saves Christmas and helps the misfit toys find loving homes, Charlie Brown discovers the meaning of Christmas through a little insight from Linus who recites the Scripture regarding the birth of Jesus, and "the Grinch's small heart" is filled with the warmth of Chrismas joy and the true meaning of Christmas shines through him. He returns Christmas to Who-Ville and celebrates with the Whos. Charles ****ens' "Christmas Carol" is another film/novel whose main character, Ebenezer Scrooge, is the biggest bully of them all, yet he is redeemed by the joy of Christmas at the end of the novel. Why is this man spending so much time criticizing these films, when the end result conveys the redemptive power of love and family found during Christmas?Professor Giuliani, find something better to do with your time.

Hello!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member

I don't know, I used to agree with you until my 5-year-old started getting bullied. A kid that young doesn't have the emotional skills to understand what it means to stand up for herself. Kids that age see things in black and white, right and wrong, no gray areas. My kid is a rule-follower, and she knows that it's against the rules to tattle, and it's also against the rules to hit or be mean to someone. For adults, we know there are exceptions to these rules, but for her 5-year-old brain, it means she's not allowed to tell the teacher or stand up for herself when someone knocks her down on the playground or calls her a baby because she's short. So yeah, I think it's important to teach kids to stand up for themselves, but when it starts this young, that's a hard lesson for them to understand.

I am sorry your daughter is being bullied... but isn't it best for her to learn how to deal with it now at 5... then use that lesson the rest of her life?

Totally! But she's not learning how because she can't understand. If she were older, she would understand what we're telling her. But she's not able to because at this developmental stage, her thinking is very concrete and it's hard for her to see that it's ok to be mean to someone who's hurting you. It's not that we're not trying to teach her, it's that she's not understanding the message.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    My 3 year old niece decided, on her own, that she didn't like that movie, cos everyone was mean to Rudolph.

I love all the Rankin/Bass movies personally.

People need to get over it.
  • A 5 year old should not HAVE to protect herself from bullies yet :( Poor kiddo. At that age they literally do not have the cognitive understanding of how to handle that yet. They think in terms of rules and consequences and their self-esteem is just forming.

After reading the article though I realized they aren't even trying to take the darn cartoon off the air or anything - just one teacher felt like not showing it. I don't think that means anything bad about our country, just means a teacher didn't feel it was the right message. Just like I don't feel it's the right message for my kids but I wouldn't go out and try to have it banned.

I personally feel our job as parents is to protect and nurture our kids - the world will toughen them up, we don't need to.
  • ajbeans
    A 5 year old should not HAVE to protect herself from bullies yet :( Poor kiddo. At that age they literally do not have the cognitive understanding of how to handle that yet. They think in terms of rules and consequences and their self-esteem is just forming.

I personally feel our job as parents is to protect and nurture our kids - the world will toughen them up, we don't need to.

Thank you. You get it. :)

I'm not worried about my other child if he ever gets picked on, even though he's younger, but that's not because he understands any better -- it's just because he has an anger problem. :laugh: He'll hit anybody who's mean to him because that's his personality. My daughter is just not that kind of kid. She's always worried about the other person.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member

Totally! But she's not learning how because she can't understand. If she were older, she would understand what we're telling her. But she's not able to because at this developmental stage, her thinking is very concrete and it's hard for her to see that it's ok to be mean to someone who's hurting you. It's not that we're not trying to teach her, it's that she's not understanding the message.

How are these kids hurting her without an adult seeing it? 5 year olds aren't exactly as slick as they think they are.
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Oh my gosh.

That is ridiculous. I mean, yes, a lot of characters in children's tv are bullied... but that happens in real life. It's not ideal, but it's the way the world is.

The story of Rudolph is saying that everyone is different and special and has their own niche and talents... that's a GOOD lesson I think...

Wow... Why does everything have to be so politically correct?

Pussification of the United States.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    I think it's a great message. Prove your self worth by working hard and promoting your strengths. That's the real world. If you work hard, people will naturally want you and gravitate to you. If you sit on your butt like a lump and playing the roll of a bullied victim, no one is going to want to use you for things. Pick yourself up, and move forward!

What GorillaNJ Said
    You're talking about the movie. None of that is in the story book.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I think it's a great message. Prove your self worth by working hard and promoting your strengths. That's the real world. If you work hard, people will naturally want you and gravitate to you. If you sit on your butt like a lump and playing the roll of a bullied victim, no one is going to want to use you for things. Pick yourself up, and move forward!

What GorillaNJ Said
    You're talking about the movie. None of that is in the story book.

Reading is for losers! LOL
  • auryn2278
    auryn2278 Posts: 22 Member
    That is so true..i never noticed it as a kid, but we watched it the other day and Santa was pretty mean lol.... i was like WTF?? poor Rudolf!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    The main problem with trying to censor rudolph is it doesn't address the issue, it simply tried to hide it.

Bullying happens. We know that. Trying to ban rudolph is just trying to hide that bullying happens. It shouldn't be hidden, it should be talk about more and more to draw attention to it, not brushed under the carpet.

Rudolph doesn't advocate bullying. Kids are hardly going to look at Rudolph and think "Yeah, bullying's cool!". It says that bullies end up worse off.
  • ajbeans

How are these kids hurting her without an adult seeing it? 5 year olds aren't exactly as slick as they think they are.

It happens mostly on the playground. There are about 100 kids out there from kindergarten up to 3rd grade, and they typically have 2 monitors out there. It's just a lot of kids for 2 people to watch. Which is a problem in itself, but that's not going to be resolved anytime soon either.