Have you ever taken a picture and thought OMG!?

Options
OMG! i feel like crying! I just took pictures wearing a bright singlet for before and after pictures that i've decided to do so i can look back on and omg I didnt know i was that big big till i took the photos! I being basically hiding behind baggy clothes and never really took notice of how really big i was.

I also weighed my self now and im 70.1kg !! i also took picture of the scale too standing up~ What a wakeup CALL!!! :'(

Have you ever taken pictures of yourself and thought OMG what have i done?

I now honestly dont go out because i dont really feel good about myself, the way i look so i try to avoid going out with mates and stuff. has anyone ever felt that way too?

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! :sad: A picture someone took of me is a big reason that drove me here. And recently i had another totally floor me because I don't feel as fat as I actually look SO we just have to keep on pushing until the image in the mirror matches the image in the camera lens :flowerforyou:
  • 13Natty
    Options
    Yes it is always a photo that is my inspiration for weight loss. At least you have made the decision at 70kgs not 170kgs. At my height my top weight is 60kg before I start looking ugly. I usually see a photo at about 66kgs and freak out. Then slowly gain it again. At least this time I have found mfp. I believe it has given me the power to control my weight now. Good luck with your weight loss. Or lifestyle change. Just use the photo for motivation to put that bit more into exercising.
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Every single picture for the past 15 years, other then the few that were taking ONCE when I dropped 40+ pounds.
  • yep try being 95kg standing next to someone who is 60kg... lol I did not look great in that pic! =D But the photos are my motivation. I really want to see All that weight gone and have photos to look at to keep me motivated to never go there again =D Good luck xx
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, it started a few years ago when I saw pictures of myself with my super skinny sister, I was twice her size! But the one that really struck me was a picture with a group of friends where I was standing next to the person I would have said was the biggest girl in the group...I was the same size as her! Strangely enough even though I kept having to buy more clothes to fit my growing body, I didn't see myself as that big when I looked in the mirror. Shocking to to think about it now though!
  • Pattihoddy
    Options
    It has been said that we don't preceive ourselves accurately. Thin people think they are fat and vice versa. I think it takes seeing a picture to help us 'get it'. The next shocker will be after you have lost weight and people say Wow, you've lost a ton! and you are thinking 'What did I look like before?' Was I that bad?'
    although it is nice to have before and after pictures......I think most of us don't want to take the before picture picture because it's too much reality.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    TOTALLY know how you feel. I REFUSE most of the time to let anybody take pictures of me. And for some unknown reason, everyone knowing I'm uncomforatable with pictures makes them want to chase me with cameras. =/
    I can be somewhat comfortable (never happy really) with photos I take myself...if I have my shaper on, perfect makeup and hair, and good lighting and angles, lol. xD But I just try to remember, if there are such things as good angles then there are such things as bad angles and some of the REALLY bad pictures aren't necessarily how people see you in person. Just like how you look COMPLETELY different in the mirror than on camera. It really is true what they say about the camera adding visual pounds. So don't get too down about it. After all, that's what we're all here for to get healthy and be happy with who we are. You'll make it! =)
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to watch the video from my wedding. I worked so hard to look beautiful for that day and before seeing the pictures actually believed I did. Once I saw photos from the day I was so distraught by how heavy I looked, that I still can't bear to look at the video. So sad,although in my heart, remains one of the happiest days of my life.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    yeah this is the pic, that I look too for motivation, I probably look at it at least a few times a week when I get an urge to eat and I am not hungry

BeforePic1132011.jpg

Then when I want to realize how far I have come since January, I look at this one.

jaydown180front.jpg

I know some people look at old pictures as a negative, I look at them for motivation and Inspiration.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    Yes many times. When I was 240 pounds I didn't think I was fat until I saw vacation photos. I cried for days. Then I started losing weight. It took me years of trying different things to get where I am at. I am still not where I want to be - I have another 30 pounds to lose, but I can finally look at a picture of myself and not cry. You will get there. Don't let it stop you from enjoying life. Use those moments as motivation to remind you of why you are doing this! :) It does get better.
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    yeah this is the pic, that I look too for motivation, I probably look at it at least a few times a week when I get an urge to eat and I am not hungry

BeforePic1132011.jpg

Then when I want to realize how far I have come since January, I look at this one.

jaydown180front.jpg

I know some people look at old pictures as a negative, I look at them for motivation and Inspiration.

OMG YOU LOOK REALLY GOOD! Congratulations on the WEIGHT LOSS! :) you doing a great job! Thanks for the idea. I think ill do that everytime i think im HUNGRY! :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    When I look in the mirror, I look fabulous, because I just got dressed, and I'm standing up, and there is nothing but a wall behind me.

When I look at a photo, I see my horrible posture and I get a sense of how big I really am, because I see my size in comparison to the chair I sit on, or the furniture behind me. If there are other people in the photo, it is really bad.

I am just glad I don't see photos of myself every day.

I also think about how good I used to look in photos. I saw some pics from 2004, and I was nothing but boobs. I was a healthy weight, and there was no part of me that looked fat other than the boobs that everyone seems to want to see anyway.

I'm getting back to that point and I'm more optimistic about it than I ever have been. However, I will be still sucking it in for the family Christmas photo this year.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    YUP!!!!!!!! That is how I started my weight loss journey after waiting literally 7 years to get motivated. I saw a picture of myself in August of 2011 and was like ahhh hell no..that can't be me!!! Since then I have lost 24-25 lbs and hope to lose another 50!!!
  • Smiler40
    Smiler40 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes

I lost 6 stone 2.5 years ago but unfortunately have put some of it back on due to a few personal problems in my life.

But now back and I have taken some pictures when I first started and now do weekly ones to compare - its another thing that keeps me going and the motivation to succeed
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Why are you so upset with yourself that you're willing to punish yourself over how much you weigh? This is how your body looks --for now. You're working to change it. Being horrified by your own image isn't going to make the weight come off faster. In fact, it might make it come of slower, depending on your frame of mind about losing. You're here now, making changes, and you are you --for always. Your friends love you no matter what you look like. You should give that a try too. Good luck.
  • xginanax
    Options
    Why are you so upset with yourself that you're willing to punish yourself over how much you weigh? This is how your body looks --for now. You're working to change it. Being horrified by your own image isn't going to make the weight come off faster. In fact, it might make it come of slower, depending on your frame of mind about losing. You're here now, making changes, and you are you --for always. Your friends love you no matter what you look like. You should give that a try too. Good luck.

Thanks hun! :) that was really sweet off you. but yeah you know i was just so shocked that i actually looked like that.. i guess its not the weight i have to work on bt my posture. its so bad. lol
  • xginanax
    Options
    YUP!!!!!!!! That is how I started my weight loss journey after waiting literally 7 years to get motivated. I saw a picture of myself in August of 2011 and was like ahhh hell no..that can't be me!!! Since then I have lost 24-25 lbs and hope to lose another 50!!!

woow congratulations! I be happy if i loose that much in 3 months :)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The mirror lies.
    We refuse to see what others see. It was a very candid picture somebody took that brought tears to my eyes.
    I was FAT

F---Fatal
    A---Awful
    T---Terrible

So, I attacked the problem and won. Now that I have reached the goal weight, having lost that dreaded 62 lbs, it's time to take everything to a whole new level. In my life I have known optimal fitness, and as I push age 50, I want to not only reach that level again but maintain such health all the rest of my life.
  • cassiopeia2713
    Options
    Absolutely! :sad: A picture someone took of me is a big reason that drove me here. And recently i had another totally floor me because I don't feel as fat as I actually look SO we just have to keep on pushing until the image in the mirror matches the image in the camera lens :flowerforyou:

Same here. I have lost some weight and I feel that I still look as big as when I started. My weight loss goal is not a huge amount of weight but I figured 10 lbs would be noticeable in photographs. Apparently not.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    In July, I took a pic with an obese friend of mine. When my stomach resembled hers, I realized it was time to come to terms with my being overweight also. That made me realize that I needed to do something then and there. FYI: MY friend is embarking on her own weight loss journey too.