Is it just me or is cottage cheese nasty

Options
This morning i call myself trying to be healthy so i go get this 100 calorie cottage with apple cinnamon in it and when i put it in my mouth my gosh i try three bite before i said i call it quits.I said i was going to buy the small ones before i make a decision to buy the bigger ones and everytime i tried it it was nasty so tell me am i just having a texture issue or is it just nasty

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally find it nasty... and my mother loves it.

If you can't eat it.. then don't! Try Greek Yogurt.. I find that a lot better then cottage cheese.
  • Wrappedinbacon
    Wrappedinbacon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese on my salad and with Doritos. I know the second one is a little weird but its good. I have never had it with anything sweet though.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's not you...I think it's nasty, too! I know some people like it, but I've never been able to develop a taste for it.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who dipped tortilla chips in Cottage Cheese. Delicious!

I like cottage cheese on my salad and with Doritos. I know the second one is a little weird but its good. I have never had it with anything sweet though.
  • jack_
    jack_ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Nasty. I don't care how good it is for me ... it's a pass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I like it with pineapple in it. I could eat it plain too. But there's definitely a difference in taste between 1%-2% and fat free. Don't like the fat free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I try to like it, but just can't bring myself to eat it! When I do eat it, it just reminds me of how much I hate it!!!
  • sororitythin
    Options
    Try plain cottage cheese with fruit and sugar! It's like dessert :)
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I can't hold a bite in my mouth. I find it to be pretty disgusting! Kudos to you for the 3 bites!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just had to reply to your topic. I agree! Cottage cheese is nasty! I'm not sure if it's the taste or texture or some combination of both but I simply can't stand it. Makes me gag. I seem to have better luck using fat free ricotta instead of cottage cheese, the texture is much smoother. Good luck! I'm sticking to the ricotta or greek yogurt as my "healthy" dairy foods.
  • JCulp19
    Options
    i love cottage cheese especially mixed with apple sauce yum
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It's gotta be you ... and the others who say it's nasty, cause I LOVE the stuff. Actually, I rarely buy it because I can eat a whole container in one setting.

I like it alone. I like it with fruit. I like it on top of salads. I just like the stuff!!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Nasty!!
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It really is an acquired taste. I was able to tolerate it by mixing with fruit (the best was pineapple). However greek yogurt is easier to stomach and is also high in protein and a good dairy source.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with cottage cheese, even the full fat variety is the sodium content. I usually eat 1.5 cups at a time which is over 1000mg of sodium. I can eat it straight but the best way I've had it is with frozen berries. Raspberries are my favorite, blueberries are my least favorite. Strawberries are good too. I usually go 1.5 cups to 1/2 bag of frozen berries and a packet of sugar alternative, truvia or something like that. Cinnamon is good in there as well.

If you're mixing it with just apples, you may want to try something like berries at first to adjust to the texture of cottage cheese. Also, I will note that full fat cottage cheese tastes much MUCH better than the low / non fat varieties.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I personally like lowfat cottage cheese by Knudsen if I eat it or Sprouts brand. I don't care for the ones with flavor as they are too sweet and since it is processed sugar it is just gross. .

I like to put olives and pistachios in mine with a bit of black pepper. Other than that I am a much bigger fan of greek yogurt. I put fresh fruit or frozen berries in it, or have it with just a spot of honey. . so good. .

To make it spicy. . I will go with some cayenne and chia seed. . Just my thoughts. . Good luck dearie!:flowerforyou:
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I love it! Never tried it with cinnamon and won't because that sounds yuck. I like it plain, or with fruit like peaches or pineapple. While I like the 2% fat best, I buy and eat the fat free.

But if you don't like it, just don't eat it! There are other ways to get your dairy.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is my favourite food.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You people are nuts O.O

I think I could LIVE on cottage cheese (Plain, and 4% ONLY). Maybe with a little fresh cracked pepper... :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Keep in mind, the brand of cottage cheese you buy makes a HUGE difference - its hard to believe they're the same food if you try different brands side by side. For some reason, the only good kind is Deans. :ohwell:
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is just GROSS! The most disgusting thing God ever made! Don't know how people eat that #&@*! LOL Did I mention it is just plain nasty?