Cutting dairy from diet? Your thoughts...

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Quoting from someone who knows a lot more about nutrition than your dad:

"I love it when I hear folks say that human adults weren’t meant to consume milk, much less the milk derived from a different animal species. Are you kidding me? So who gets to decide which parts of the cow we should consume? Let me get this straight–we can eat the cow’s muscles, but not the milk that laid the foundation for the growth of those same muscles? Huh? The logic is just too rock-solid for me. Folks who carry the torch against milk consumption typically will have some degree of allergy or digestive intolerance to it, and they take the liberty to project their personal problems onto the world around them." ~Alan Aragon.

Many of us who are against drinking the cow's milk are also against eating her muscles. Just saying.

How is that at all relevant to the OP's question???
  • kegonzales
    Options
    I am anaphylactic to dairy so I have no animal based dairy products in my diet. It has no baring on my weight loss. However, the research that I have done points out that calcium plays a part in ridding you body of fat so keep that in mind if you are eliminating all dairy.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options

"I love it when I hear folks say that human adults weren’t meant to consume milk, much less the milk derived from a different animal species. Are you kidding me? So who gets to decide which parts of the cow we should consume? Let me get this straight–we can eat the cow’s muscles, but not the milk that laid the foundation for the growth of those same muscles? Huh? The logic is just too rock-solid for me. Folks who carry the torch against milk consumption typically will have some degree of allergy or digestive intolerance to it, and they take the liberty to project their personal problems onto the world around them." ~Alan Aragon.

Many of us who are against drinking the cow's milk are also against eating her muscles. Just saying.
    I don't believe people need any animal products: meat, milk, eggs in their diet at all. Just my opinion :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

How is that at all relevant to the OP's question???

You posted a quote that talks about how people choose not to drink dairy milk, but still choose to eat meat. I was simply addressing the quote.
  • plagirl227
    Options
    Quoting my dad here, "Milk is for baby cows. Humans are the only animal that continues to drink milk after being weaned."

Really RonSwanson66? Do you know my father??
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Quoting my dad here, "Milk is for baby cows. Humans are the only animal that continues to drink milk after being weaned."

I don't need to. Your quote was enough to demonstrate his level of knowledge.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I also recently became vegan after researching the effects of milk/dairy on the body and I definitely feel about 100x times better than I did when I ate dairy and meat. Dairy products also contain casein, a protein that breaks down into casomorphin, a naturally occurring opiate. This essentially causes us to be addicted to dairy (why I had cheese cravings hardcore for my first 3 weeks as a vegan). Cutting out dairy is not for everyone, but I can say from personal experience that I feel better and it has helped jump start my weight loss.

Know what else is an opiate? Poppy seeds.

No wonder lemon poppyseed muffins are SO ****ING YUMMY!
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Ignore Ron. I think he is just here to start a fight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Ignore Ron. I think he is just here to start a fight.

Discrediting bad information, day after day. It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    And then you get the munchies and buy more muffins ... it's a vicious cycle ... *sigh* ...
    I also recently became vegan after researching the effects of milk/dairy on the body and I definitely feel about 100x times better than I did when I ate dairy and meat. Dairy products also contain casein, a protein that breaks down into casomorphin, a naturally occurring opiate. This essentially causes us to be addicted to dairy (why I had cheese cravings hardcore for my first 3 weeks as a vegan). Cutting out dairy is not for everyone, but I can say from personal experience that I feel better and it has helped jump start my weight loss.

• kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options

While some people may think it's stupid to not drink milk, I think people are brainwashed into thinking they NEED milk. Not so much...

I listen to a Pharmacist/Nutritionist who has his own radio show and says the same exact thing.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My addiction is so strong, I have been known to hijack old ladies for their muffins. Who knows what would happen if I stopped casein cold turkey....!!!
    And then you get the munchies and buy more muffins ... it's a vicious cycle ... *sigh* ...

• SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I cut dairy just because of my allergies and since the only cheese I eat is feta and mozzarella and soy milk I am allergy free, so worth it. Every morning I could barely breath, everything stuffed up and now... nothing... I am happy and for those benefits I am going with out my loved Gouda, Brie and Parmesan. I found cheese made out of veggies and that tastes good and is nice for sandwiches.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Let's not even go there ... it gives me the chills ...
    My addiction is so strong, I have been known to hijack old ladies for their muffins. Who knows what would happen if I stopped casein cold turkey....!!!

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've cut back on my dairy intake but I'm not going to give it up. As a matter of fact, I'm not going to give anything up completely. That would pretty much guarantee that I set around thinking about whatever I was giving up all of the time.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh the muffin addictions are so much worse than the cheese! don't even get me started ;)
    Let's not even go there ... it gives me the chills ...

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    love almond milk....nom nom.
  • plagirl227
    Options

I see. And this Alan Aragon you quote is the all-knowing of nutrition. Someone who, when I do a quick search, I can't find any info about other than his own self-proclamations. Hmmm.

I honestly don't care. Drink milk. Don't drink milk. Makes me no never mind. I just find it interesting how people take another's opinion as gospel. Ultimately, that's all it is...an OPINION.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I reduced the amount that I eat simply because it is calorie dense and high in fat. But I won't ever completely exclude something from my diet. I do everything in moderation. I make healthy food choices but ultimately, I eat the way I plan on eating for the rest of my life. That means enjoying all the foods I love in their "regular" (not diet) form. If I have to have cheesecake/ice cream/nachos/pizza less often, so be it. But I'm not going to completely cut them out or opt for reduced calorie/sugar/fat versions.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have just added dairy BACK to my diet for the first time in 16 years...and I'm loving it. It has not impeded my weight loss in any way!