The "Olivia Method" - the cool new way to set up your MFP go

Options

Replies

• Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Want to try this.....need to figure it out later.
  • december8teen
    Options
    Bumpity bump!
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • turnerjh
    Options
    I want to make sure I understand this and have a question. My BMR is 1247 and my maintenance calories according to MFP sedentary (sit at work most all the time) is 1560. If I burn more than 687, I need to eat back calories. I set my calorie goal to 1560 and make sure to eat at least 1247 each day.

Where I am getting confused is thinking about net calories and maybe this is just a difference in this method versus how MFP is set up. I think setting it up this way, I will likely very often be under 1200 net. For example, I did a short run today and burned 300 calories. If I eat 1300 calories today, my deficit will be 560 but my net calories will only be 1000.

I guess I am just concerned because ever since I have been on MFP, I keep reading to never let your net calories be under 1200 or else be hit with the dreaded starvation mode. Can anyone clarify this?
  • Kriszti29
    Options
    Bumpty-bump-bump....
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump,To read later.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ............and bump
  • princessjarvis
    Options
    Has Anyone tried this?? And did it work??
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I want to make sure I understand this and have a question. My BMR is 1247 and my maintenance calories according to MFP sedentary (sit at work most all the time) is 1560. If I burn more than 687, I need to eat back calories. I set my calorie goal to 1560 and make sure to eat at least 1247 each day.

Where I am getting confused is thinking about net calories and maybe this is just a difference in this method versus how MFP is set up. I think setting it up this way, I will likely very often be under 1200 net. For example, I did a short run today and burned 300 calories. If I eat 1300 calories today, my deficit will be 560 but my net calories will only be 1000.

I guess I am just concerned because ever since I have been on MFP, I keep reading to never let your net calories be under 1200 or else be hit with the dreaded starvation mode. Can anyone clarify this?

I *think* you are supposed to be okay because you are eating at least your BMR and you aren't letting your deficit be more than 1000 calories. Maybe someone else will speak up about this? Consider posting this question in the group "Olivia Method" so it isn't lost in this 448 post thread...
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. I thought the whole point was MFP calculated a deficit for you.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. I thought the whole point was MFP calculated a deficit for you.

Some people have difficulty losing weight when eating or even sticking to a plan that calls for eating less than their BMR. MFP often gives you a goal of less than your BMR, although never below 1200. Doing it this way also allows you to see your deficit, giving you more control over how much you will lose each week. Plus, if you eat more than your goal, you just see how it affects your deficit, not just a red number telling you you failed for the day...
  • peaceinside
    Options
    bump
  • cluvenit
    cluvenit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    BUMP ;-)
  • LizCanDoThis
    LizCanDoThis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump - need to re-read to completely understand but I think I'll give it a shot!
  • jaxsmummy
    Options
    bump-read it, changed it, still dont know if its accurate for me. As far as the past weeks go, I should have lost 2lbs a week since I started...but I havent. I think it may be all the muscle building I have been doing.
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    bump
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    gonna need to keep this!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Ok.... I reset my goals and am going to try this..... I'm still a little confused, but I followed the directions, so we'll see what happens!