I give up. Gained 3 more pounds.

Options

Replies

• mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? If you are really staying in that calorie range, maybe there is an underlying problem.

there are plenty of reasons why you haven't lost weight that could be medically related especially regarding the thyroid - should consult your doctor
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    Don't give up! Look at the big picture: It's not only aesthetics, but your helth, which is important for you and your child.
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Honestly you need to take a good look at your diary. It is full of preservatives from packaged foods. Instead of Kraft slices which aren't even real cheese grab a bar of cheddar and be sure to weigh your portion. I looked at about a weeks worth and didn't see any fresh veggies or fruit or nuts. Eating clean food helps your body to run more efficiently. You can totally do this but you will have to make some hard changes...nobody said it was going to be easy:tongue:
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    As of this morning, I am within 5 pounds of the wieght I was at 9 months pregnant in 2007. I give up. No weight loss in a month. I started this at 173. This morning, I'm 177.8. Screw it. I'm getting a cheeseburger for lunch.

Before anyone decides to look at my diary and tell me that I need to exercise, I already know that. I'm extremely busy. "But you have to *make* the time". I know that, too. Again, I'm trying but I'm very busy. I'm not going to cut my sleep by an hour to exercise. I'm not a morning person. At night, I do homework, make dinner, give my girl a bath and get things ready for the next day. After tomorrow, I should be able to find some time because it's the last day of class for the semester. I work full time, school part time and single mom to a 4 yr old.

If you guys only knew how much I've changed my diet since I started this, you would understand my frustration. Going from eating anything and everything to 1100 - 1500 cals a day, I should've seen some results. Can I do better? Yes. But I've made big changes and haven't seen any results. I don't want criticism. I don't want anything but to vent about it. I give up.

First of all don't give up. Second...I work a full time job 1 hour from home, and I go to school 2 nights a week and take one on-line class. I am also a single mother of 2 girls. It's not easy. I get my *kitten* up at 445 every morning. I work out in my living room then i get my girls on the bus, then I drive an hour to work. I work my *kitten* off for 8 hours sometimes longer. I get to go to lunch some days some days not so much. I then get back in my car drive another hour home or to school whichever day it is. My girls have homework, I have homework, they need showers, and if it is one of my school nights I have to go by my moms to pick them up on my way home from school. So, what I am saying to you is quit whining. Make time for yourself even if it means getting up half hour early in the morning. Dont give up on yourself; what kind of example is that for you daughter.

Sorry if it is harsh, but I bust *kitten* to make it work and if I can do it with all the hell going on in my world so can you.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Not meaning to be a pain here but I have looked at some of your past posts and this is nothing new for you. You don't want to exercise even though you have access, you don't want to get up, but lay in bed and watch the news so if you don't want to go to the Dr. and find out if it's something else then maybe now's isn't the time.:grumble:
  • 08caseyk
    Options
    also if i might add, i have 3 children under the age of 3. i kept putting off my change of diet and excercise because i was too busy or too tired. I ballooned up to 278 lbs. i'm currently 231 from busting my *kitten*. have you looked up cleanmama.com? that helped me for when i can't fit in time to excercise at a gym or anything.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You know... this might be seen as anti-the purpose of MFP, but... perhaps you're right. Maybe you should give up for now. Maybe you should put the diet on hold for now. If your life is too stressful and busy and if you're not mentally ready to make the sacrifices you need to make to lose weight, then maybe it's okay to say "now is not the time".

I have tried a million times to lose weight and I was never successful- because I was just not mentally/emotionally prepared.

I tried again and I lost. I didn't really do anything different than I have before. I just stuck with the plan longer because I was in a better place in my life than I had been in the past.

It's okay (in my opinion) to say "not now".

Maybe now is the time you should focus on your education, on your child, on your life. Maybe the diet can wait. And you shouldn't feel like a lesser person because you put it off. You shouldn't feel like you 'failed'. Being honest with yourself about your current capabilities is a hugely good thing- and if you've got too much on your plate and the diet is a lower priority than school, work, kid, sleep... be honest about it and wait until you can make the diet a priority. The world won't end if you wait.
    I agree with the above. It is Okay to say now is not the right time for me.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just a quick tip, the first time I lost a bunch of weight I was working a lot and didn't have/make time to workout, and I hated exercising anyways. I did a lot of squats while making copies, leg lifts, lunges between clients etc. Just 10 here and there, which added up to A LOT at the end of the day. Maybe you could start doing stuff like that? A handful of pushups off your desk/counter/wall, a burst of jumping jacks or high knees?

Also, I really love zig zagging my calories, that's helped keep me sane.

Editing to add: At that time I had NO clue about counting calories and didn't really learn anything.

I agree you don't have to exercise if you are busy and active and looking after a little one can be active. I would also suggest you cut bad carbs, white bread cakes biscuits and up your protein, chicken cottage cheese etc
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    If you arent mentally ready to make a change in your life (one that may take months or years to accomplish) that will affect you for your ENTIRE life, then maybe you need to take a break.

I have 4 kids under 5 1/2 years old....I work full time. I was a full time nursing student, working full time, and raising two kids. Sure, I hated mornings, but I got up and exercised anyway because I want to be healthy and live long enough to see my kids grow.

My kids arent going to miss the 30 minutes on the treadmill, they would miss it if I was 300 pounds and couldnt play on the floor with them anymore though.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Give up. It's your life. Come back if you want. We're not going anywhere.

You can end this any time you like. You don't have to do this.

Have a great holiday season. :smile:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration.

I did look through your diary. There are many days that you are over (not a horrible thing as long as it's not a daily thing), there are many days you only logged a partial day or didn't log at all for several days in a row. I also noticed you had logged 8 ounces of NY strip as 160 or so calories which is waaaayyy off.

I would say that you might want to take a good look at your diary and make sure you are being honest with yourself. Are you measuring and weighing your foods? Are you reading labels? Are you choosing the right food from the database, or the lowest calorie one?

You can make this work with limited exercise as long as you are being honest with yourself and logging every single thing you eat and the appropriate calories for the foods you are eating.

Good luck. I do totally get what you are going through. I had pretty much decided that I was destined to be fat and couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose weight and it all came down to ME and being accountable to myself.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    can u lose 15 mins of sleep? I feel you. I have a hard time with this too and also really hate the idea of getting up early to exercise.

This is what I do. Set your alarm 15 minutes early. 15 damn minutes. Set out your exercise clothes the night before (some ppl even sleep in them) now I have to walk the dogs & have a bottle of water- but other than that, I get a quick smoothie (I get pre bottled ones from aldi, 70 cals each) and do the 30 day shred. it's 20 minutes. so now you're only 5 minutes behind your regular schedule - I can live with that. AND your workout is out of the way.
    Any other exercise you get thru the day is EXTRA! Another great way to sneak in exercise is jogging the stairs. If you have stairs in your house, jog those suckers. Instead of 'consolidating' trips to save steps, run 'em again. You can find correct form & stuff on the internet. Stand up straight, DON'T USE THE BANNISTER, don't drag your self up the steps. Use your glutes - NOT back muscles. You'll be amazed how easy it gets - use your strongest core muscles & LIFT yourself up the stairs. I kick stair butt (I live on the 3rd floor) and amaze my family & friends
    You can do this BUT YOU HAVE TO WANT IT. if you have kids, you can do 20 minutes. just bite the damn bullet
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options
    First let me say... glad you got to vent - we all need to do it sometimes!!

I'm here to say -- I'm a single mom of 3 kids -- 18, 13 and 10! I work full-time, I manage my sons competitve football team and his select baseball team! We have practice 4 nights a week - between 2 of my kids and games on weekends.

I am the POSTER child of not enough time in the day with all that I chose to take on. I have neglected in my work outs lately due to some stress in my life... but that is a choice I've made. I can't blame my lack of weight loss on "it just not working'! My youngest is having a major kidney surgery this week and I've chosen to focus on getting him through it and not be at the gym... but - most nights for me

It's get to practice - and run / walk the park while they are practicing (even in the cold) or it's get him a ride home so I can find a kick boxing class.

We hold our own destiny in our hands. Everything is a CHOICE! If we want something bad enough - we will find a way to get it. I hope you find what's going to work for you... and you don't give up. That little one needs a healthy mom to set a great example of who to be!
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You know... this might be seen as anti-the purpose of MFP, but... perhaps you're right. Maybe you should give up for now. Maybe you should put the diet on hold for now. If your life is too stressful and busy and if you're not mentally ready to make the sacrifices you need to make to lose weight, then maybe it's okay to say "now is not the time".

I agree! You don't have to give up as in the sense of binging on 6 cheeseburgers a day but take a break. I have been trying for 5.5 YEARS to lose 12 lbs! I can get down to within 7 lbs of my goal and then I stop losing, gain a few pounds back, lose them, repeat.. I have now replaced my weight goals with fitness goals and I have noticed that I am making better food choices too. I will actually think, "i need some protein" instead of looking for junk to snack on. At Thanksgiving I could ONLY eat half of a piece of chocolate cake....last year I would have eaten two just for dessert and then had two-three pieces a day until it was gone! I don't eat an entire chick fila sandwich anymore, just nuggets. I know that I am capable of losing the 12 lbs, it's hard and requires long term dedication that sometimes I don't have the will for.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat you are.... then I found an awesome dietician that new something was wrong based on my food diary and my exercise logs.... she took a RMR which was way low
    then it progressed to thyroid testing...
    TSH was normal... however my antibodies (which should be below 30) ARE 347 !!!!
    so we have started a low dosage of thyroid meds..... not an instant fix but in 1 mth I have now lost 6lbs!!! where it took me 3 mths to lose 4lbs - so it could def be your thyroid---- you should be able to lose weight without exercise if you calories are with in the right range..... yes exercise is very healthy for you and should be done but you should be able to lose some weight with diet alone... because it is Calories in vs Calories out..... based on my height and weight I was WAY over estimating what my body could burn off because of the Hashimoto's that I have beed diagnosed with my body cant even burn off 1200 calories without exercise.... so I dont go over 1200 even with exercise now... I do not eat back my exercise calories...

this isn't to say that everyone that cant lose weight has a thyroid issue but it could be an underlaying issue... wont hurt (except the blood draw) to have it looked at.... if you do make sure they do a FREE T3 and a FREE T4 test..... they will know what that is....

good luck and dont give up!!!
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I say.. give up, be fat, be unhealthy. This is hard work and if you aren't up to it, then just quit. There are so many on here with busy lives that struggle to fit in time to exercise and they do it. Why? Because they make it a priority, they suck it up when it gets tough and they keep on going. The easy way out is to just whine and give yourself excuses why you can't exercise and eat right. I know this sounds hard but what did you expect when you posted what you did?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to exercise at all to lose weight. Set your diary to a "doable" calorie intake like 1500 calories. Really stick to that intake and be very honest in your diary.

You should definitely see some sort of drop-maybe 1/2 lb a week. But it's still something! But you will notice that if you make better food choices (doesn't have to be 100% healthy), that they will keep you satisfied longer. Look at my diary for some ideas. If you aren't going to exercise and want to lose weight, don't go way over your calories like I do sometimes.

Being honest in your diary is key.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    Don't give up! Look at the big picture: It's not only aesthetics, but your helth, which is important for you and your child.

Very well said. This is process and there are going to be ups and downs. You have to remember the reason you started this journey in the first place, pick yourself up and keep going.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Quit sniveling, get to work and cease with all the excuses.
    With this kind of attitude, you'll die fat.

You are better than that.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I say.. give up, be fat, be unhealthy. This is hard work and if you aren't up to it, then just quit. There are so many on here with busy lives that struggle to fit in time to exercise and they do it. Why? Because they make it a priority, they suck it up when it gets tough and they keep on going. The easy way out is to just whine and give yourself excuses why you can't exercise and eat right. I know this sounds hard but what did you expect when you posted what you did?

I tell you what. I read all the responses to your post thus far and this one spoke to me. I have been a BIG whiner, an excuse maker and a procrastinator (about weight loss) for a trillion years. I would get frustrated at the drop of a hat. I would publicly and privately blame anything and everything as the reason my attempts were not successful. I even convinced myself that I was different than the rest of you. That I was doomed and the cards were somehow stacked against me and my metabolism and I would always be fat. The poster above hit the nail on the head...at least for what I need. If you are at all like me, you need too listen to the message that she is sending, albeit sarcastic, it is a damn good one.

Here's my take now. Only I can do this and only I can determine when the time to do this is right. Only I can mess up, only I can succeed. I am in control and I am responsible for lack of control. I can sleep all day and do nothing or I can sleep 23 hours and spend an hour trying to make my body/heart stronger and healthier. All of these choices are mine. The key word is choice.

By no means am I any type of success story yet. But I will be! With the tough love I get at this site, I am honest with myself and with my friends. You CAN do this!! All of us can and I bet that deep down you know that.

Each piece of advice you got as a response is valuable. Some of my best friends and supports on this site responded to you and I can assure you that they are responding out of pure good will to see you succeed. You need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, take a look in the mirror and as yourself if you are ready. It is either now or later.....just remember, later you could be that much heavier and it will be that much harder.

Best of luck and stay strong.
    :drinker: