30 day shred for 'obese' people

Options
So according to my BMI I am obese. I have about 75 pounds to lose, I'm not very active except for walking about half mile every day to and from the bus stop. I plan on doing walk away the pounds video daily up until January 1 when I start the 30 Day Shred. Any tips for obese, out of shape people doing the 30DS? I've had some encouraging comments from people on here but I feel like I need more to feel safe! I really want to lose weight and get in shape and I don't need any more excuses not to! THANKS :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just follow Anita, she's the blonde doing modified versions of the moves. :)
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I will be right there with you in January following Anita. ;-D
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The trick is to do what you can of each move one level at a time. And each time you do the video you can do a little more until you can do the whole level. Then move on to the next level when you feel your ready.
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I will be right there with you in January following Anita. ;-D

Yay!! The more the merrier!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have the 30DS and have not even looked at it because I did not think their was a modified version for me! I am glad I poked my head into this thread!!! I might have to start in January with you guys.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking into ordering 30DS. Found it pretty cheap on amazon....... I am in the Overweight Category now, BUT my lower back still has some pain after workouts..... so I am concerned for that reason. I will try it anyways and do modified versions if needed.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Level 2 Day 6 of 30 Day Shred. I'm in the overweight section, and I can say, it's a challenging workout. Specially now in level 2, I'm sweating my life!! BUT when I began level 1, after 5 days into it I could already see a change in my strenght and cardio, same thing happened two days ago on day 4 of level 2. I'm sure it will happen again in level 3 starting this Saturday. So you might find the workout hard at the begining of each level, but beleive me, you'll be so proud when you feel the changes.
    I started following the modified version most of the time, now I would say I do 70% the regular version and 30% fallowing Anita.

Here's some more encouragement...I lost 3.5 lbs and 7 inches in 10 days (level 1). Will weight in and mesure myself again after level 2, and then again after level 3.
  • phatgirl30
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty new to this so if you would please fill me in on Ms. Anita and this whole shred thing(giggle). I'd like to jump aboard so pleassssseeeee respond(smile)
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible! Don't let the word "obese" limit you, you can do it and if you need to only do half and you can work your way up as you feel ready. Me personally I did shred for about 2.5 months so you can do it!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I fully recommend doing your own stretching before you start the DVD. I am also obese (way bigger than you, OP), and got awful shin splints when doing 30DS due to lack of stretching.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 1 day 6 (my bmi straddles the obese/overweight line). I modify what I need to, but the important thing is to push yourself as hard as you can. It's only 20 minutes of actual work ;) I still can't do the jump ropes (no rope) after the jumping jacks, but I don't stop moving during that time. I'm mostly noticing results in my arms right now...super nice looking shoulders....but I have high hopes.
  • itsmechris
    Options
    poisongirl is right about stretching. When you are fat and out of shape, your body is not used to suddenly doing some exercises. I had to stop running twice this year when I pulled each calf at different times.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would add, make sure you do your squats correctly..that is, don't let your knees go forward so they're over your toes..try to push your heels down to keep your weight back more and a straight line from knees to ankles. Even if it means you don't go very deep into the squat, it will help prevent soreness/injury to your joints AND will make sure those squats work your glutes like they're supposed to.

I say this as someone who did squats incorrectly for a long time :)
  • runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I will be doing it in January too! Glad for the tip to follow Anita. :)
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty new to this so if you would please fill me in on Ms. Anita and this whole shred thing(giggle). I'd like to jump aboard so pleassssseeeee respond(smile)

On the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred workout video, there are three people doing the moves; Jillian, Anita and.. um.. the other girl whose name I can't remember. Anita does the modified version of each exercise, making them slightly easier and more doable for us newbies, those with injuries or people who are looking for a lower impact workout.

I haven't done the 30DS consistently but it's my go-to video when I can't get to the gym. It's definitely challenging, no matter whose moves you follow! Good luck to you all! :drinker:
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know i'm a dude and all but I downloaded it and gave it a try yesterday. OMG i only made it 13 minutes before i thew in the towel. I'll try to do the whole session tomorrow but I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I didn't have any issues doing any of the moves. I mainly followed the modified version though.

Don't wait on starting it until Jan. Start it now, you'll thank yourself later. If you keep putting off working out it will just take that much longer to achieve the goal you want.
  • lacf86
    lacf86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    30DS was one of the first things i did when i decided to start exercising and i've got to second the shin splints thing! going from practically no exercise to all that jumping was fairly...stupid, haha. Worth it though, just remember to rest and give yourself time to heal if you are sore. The best thing about the shred is that it's so satisfying knowing that it's just 20 minutes, so you know the end is coming any minute and that helps you push yourself =)

this is a very badly written post, but it's early(ish)...brain not working just yet...
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Think I will join you in January as well. I am still in the obese range. But first did it when i was 25kgs heavier. Yes it was hard and modify as much as you need too. If jumping gets too much change too jogging on the spot. Stick with it though and you will feel better for it. Do take rest days if needed and listen to your body.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm starting mine as soon as I get it in the mail, which hopefully will be tomorrow. Damn work getting in the way though. I may have to start Friday...... :tongue:
  • Lokisul
    Options
    Going to start the 30DS right after Christmas Dinner!! I am bricking it as I have a high BMI and its going to be one hell of a struggle! I have Fitness Evolved 2012, and when you do the Cardio stuff it really is a lot of work!

But my motivation is the amazing progress some of the people here on the forums have made on 30DS... I really want to see if I can join in!