diet soda or no diet soda

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda although I probably shouldn't.

It's good in that it saves you from drinking nearly 200 calories in a regular soda.

It's bad because you get addicted, well I do anyway.

Plus there's a lot of talk about artificial sweetener being really bad for you. I know the claims aren't backed by much but sometimes where there's smoke there's fire.
  • Ind3p3dent
    Ind3p3dent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought... Regular coke is my only vice. I can give up everything but I love my soda. I tried to drink diet sodas to curb the craving but I was concerned about the artificial sugar.
    I went to the store and bout tiny 90 calorie cans of the real stuff. As long as I drink water I find that it is easier to have the little can than to worry about the artificial sugar. I happily cut out other things so I can have my vice.
    Another solution could be to drink sparkling water. 0 calories, 0 sugar, and 0 sodium.

Good Luck :smile:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought... Regular coke is my only vice. I can give up everything but I love my soda. I tried to drink diet sodas to curb the craving but I was concerned about the artificial sugar.
    I went to the store and bout tiny 90 calorie cans of the real stuff. As long as I drink water I find that it is easier to have the little can than to worry about the artificial sugar. I happily cut out other things so I can have my vice.
    Another solution could be to drink sparkling water. 0 calories, 0 sugar, and 0 sodium.

Good Luck :smile:

Portion control innit? I love a nice ice cold coke with ice, lemon and a twist of lime in a tall, frosted glass. A 330ml can is more than enough.

If I want a sweet sparkling drink I generally have Bottle Green Elderflower Cordial mixed with San Pellegrino sparkling water. Tastes delicious and minimal calories. Low cal doesn't have to mean low taste...
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda in July 2010!!! I had a hard time drinking water, but after I quit drinking the diet soda I started craving water. I do have a non-fat iced mocha w/ one pump of chocolate....so I haven't given up everything, but so glad I gave up the soda!!! Do what is best for you!!!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda although I probably shouldn't.

It's good in that it saves you from drinking nearly 200 calories in a regular soda.

It's bad because you get addicted, well I do anyway.

Plus there's a lot of talk about artificial sweetener being really bad for you. I know the claims aren't backed by much but sometimes where there's smoke there's fire.

not always. andrew wakefield caused a firestorm of anti-vaccine woo with his autism / vaccine link nonsense. since then, his study has been thoroughly debunked.

saccharine and aspartame are some of the most tested substances on earth. the hysteria has not held up to scientific scrutiny.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Finally; we agree - lol
    It's a drug too- highly addictive, and I weaned down to green tea.
    The amount of caffeine here is not that great. I just don't like being addicted.

No harm though; let's not get too dogmatic about the good things of life.
    I know lots of people who love their coffee and tea and will bust someone's chops if it had to be taken away. So yes caffeine is addicting. I don't like coffee or tea. That's probably why I drink diet Pepsi a couple of times a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Study: Drinking diet soda actually causes weight gain, blood sugar spikes

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033110_diet_soda_weight_gain.html#ixzz1gMWBgUkr
    I should be really fat then. :yawn:

IDEA Fitness member
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet Coke any more, which used to be just about the ONLY thing I did drink. If I have a crave for soda I have a Sprite Zero. I allow myself 1 or 2 a week usually.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No need to get frustrated. Everyone is entitled to an opinion or post. Plus, I don't have time to read 11 pages of posts. I, personally, don't agree that diet sodas are the right way to go. I'm sure not everyone who disagreed with the study is an expert other than the fact that they like to drink diet sodas.
    Opinion is fine, but posting a "study" of correlation and stating it as the cause is false information. It's like saying mowing lawns is the cause of allergies. The flying grass may make more people sneeze, but it's not the actual cause.

IDEA Fitness member
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    No need to get frustrated. Everyone is entitled to an opinion or post. Plus, I don't have time to read 11 pages of posts. I, personally, don't agree that diet sodas are the right way to go. I'm sure not everyone who disagreed with the study is an expert other than the fact that they like to drink diet sodas.
    Opinion is fine, but posting a "study" of correlation and stating it as the cause is false information. It's like saying mowing lawns is the cause of allergies. The flying grass may make more people sneeze, but it's not the actual cause.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't agree that the study is giving false information. And, you can make correlation to anything and state it as fact if you try hard enough. The medical industry does it all the time in promoting prescription medication that isn't necessary.

However, by reading this thread, I would lean to the debate that diet sodas have an addictive affect. Which shows through all the hostility to others on here when told that it is bad for you. Heck, I could say cocaine isn't bad for you since I've lost weight on it. I'm only using this as a point. I don't really use drugs. Just saying that when trying to defend an addiction, people will use any means necessary to prove a point.

Also, there is a lot of money being made on diet sodas. So, you have to believe that the "industry" is going to do their best to debunk any study that may cause harm to their bottom line.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I a practical first Diet Soda REALLY INCREASE MY APPETITE... No way I can stay in my calorie range if I have one.

(On the other hand...
    I've heard many horrible things about the chemicals in diet soda striping nerves of their protective coating leading to chronic pain and Osteoporosis from them sapping phosphorus and calcium from your bones.

I'll admit, I haven't researched studies on this.
    I look at my Mom (who has guzzled diet soda for as long as I can remember.) and how she suffers with chronic pain and bone loss (to the point where she is crippled). And I can't help but wonder if the diet soda (since the early days of TAB) contributed to it. I look at what she goes through and think I'm just not that tough. If the soda has contributed to her many conditions and I cut it out now, maybe I can save myself some pain and suffering, If I'm wrong and it does NOT... you know what I'm not doing myself any harm by substituting things like water, tea, juice, and coffee)

I try to wean myself off it many times, I was not successful until I replaced it with coffee. (It's not the caffeine I object to it's the chemicals)
  • bordersmommy
    Options
    Diet soft drinks tend to have a lot of hidden sodium which can cause you to retain fluids. Also you have a constant (to a degree) sweet access so your pallet doesn't acclimate to a less sweet diet. I am guilty of drinking them myself but I am very conscious of drinking a lot of water to flush out extra sodium.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has aspartame in it. Aspartame breaks down in your body into formaldehyde (which is the stuff scientists use to preserve dead things).

Aspartame is also sweet which your body interprets as sugar. So your brain prepares itself for the instant energy it thinks it's going to receive. When it doesn't, it crashes and forces you to seek out other sweet foods which can cause you to binge.

I personally steer clear of diet soda. I don't really like soda but when I do decide to have a glass, it's a treat. Soda should be treated as an occasional thing, the same you would do with chocolate cake or some other treat.

As an alternative- you can drink sparkling water! It comes in various flavors and it has the word 'sparkling' in it which makes it sound pretty cool.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has aspartame in it. Aspartame breaks down in your body into formaldehyde (which is the stuff scientists use to preserve dead things).

Aspartame is also sweet which your body interprets as sugar. So your brain prepares itself for the instant energy it thinks it's going to receive. When it doesn't, it crashes and forces you to seek out other sweet foods which can cause you to binge.

I personally steer clear of diet soda. I don't really like soda but when I do decide to have a glass, it's a treat. Soda should be treated as an occasional thing, the same you would do with chocolate cake or some other treat.

As an alternative- you can drink sparkling water! It comes in various flavors and it has the word 'sparkling' in it which makes it sound pretty cool.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Diet soft drinks tend to have a lot of hidden sodium which can cause you to retain fluids. Also you have a constant (to a degree) sweet access so your pallet doesn't acclimate to a less sweet diet. I am guilty of drinking them myself but I am very conscious of drinking a lot of water to flush out extra sodium.

It's not really hidden, it's listed right there on the label. My 16.9 oz diet mt dew has 70 mg sodium. That's 3% RDA. Really not that bad. The bottle is actually labelled 'very low sodium'.

I'm not saying its good for me, I'm just saying it's not loaded with sodium. Might not be true of all brands.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You didn't read the thread, obviously. I posted this link once already, I'll post it again.

Here's a list of foods that naturally have formaldehyde in them, just for your information.

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsnew/whatsnew_fa/files/formaldehyde.pdf

Interesting, bananas, apples, and pears all have a lot more formaldehyde in them than soda. Can we please stop using the "formaldehyde scare tactic" now?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't agree that the study is giving false information. And, you can make correlation to anything and state it as fact if you try hard enough. The medical industry does it all the time in promoting prescription medication that isn't necessary.

However, by reading this thread, I would lean to the debate that diet sodas have an addictive affect. Which shows through all the hostility to others on here when told that it is bad for you. Heck, I could say cocaine isn't bad for you since I've lost weight on it. I'm only using this as a point. I don't really use drugs. Just saying that when trying to defend an addiction, people will use any means necessary to prove a point.

Also, there is a lot of money being made on diet sodas. So, you have to believe that the "industry" is going to do their best to debunk any study that may cause harm to their bottom line.

Talk about a straw man argument. So people that look at studies, and study the evidence, decide it's fine in moderation because there isn't a single study that actually shows diet sodas actually causing any health issues, and spend their time in this thread correcting misinformation are just junkies that are addicted to soda? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I drink diet soda because it helps with my weight loss. I gave it up for 2 months, and nothing changed. I didn't feel any different, I didn't lose any more weight, I just drank twice as much green tea. So now I still occasionally drink diet sodas, particularly when I go out to restaurants.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Talk about a straw man argument. So people that look at studies, and study the evidence, decide it's fine in moderation because there isn't a single study that actually shows diet sodas actually causing any health issues, and spend their time in this thread correcting misinformation are just junkies that are addicted to soda? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I drink diet soda because it helps with my weight loss. I gave it up for 2 months, and nothing changed. I didn't feel any different, I didn't lose any more weight, I just drank twice as much green tea. So now I still occasionally drink diet sodas, particularly when I go out to restaurants.

I love the misquotes in this thread. I didn't call anyone a "junkie". People are addicted to coffee and aren't junkies. I made a reference to the thinking that you need something in your life and make excuses as to why it isn't harming you.

I have a good friend who says he can't stop drinking diet sodas because when he does he gets headaches. He knows that isn't the best choice but would prefer to not have the headaches.

And, I've tried to be considerate of everyone in my debate and not be rude, but that seems to not be the case for everyone else. So, I will say this. You're thinking that diet soda is helping in your weight loss is ridiculous. I'm happy for you for accomplishing your goals, but it's not the diet soda.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So I want to hear your thoughts on diet drinks. I hear they are horrible for you and actually can cause you to gain weight. Yet, I don't smoke or anything and feel that I should be allowed a vice. I don't go overboard with them, maybe 3 or 4 a week, but if they are really sabotaging my efforts then I need to cut them out.

Harm from drinking Diet drinks is negligible. Besides artificial ingredients, etc. They do contain a certain amount of sodium, which of course affects water retention. For me when I drink diet soda, I tend to get and feel bloated from the carbonation. Besides that, I don't suffer from any side effects. Zero weight gain, zero thirst, etc.

If you drink it in moderation and balance it out with water throughout the day. I would not worry nor lose any sleep over this topic.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I won't debate that it's not addicting. I know it is for some and like I said I use it as my "sweet" craving crusher. However there are peer reviewed clinical studies that have nothing to do with the industry. Mayo Clinic and American Cancer society to name just 2. If they are "corrupted" then everything being told by anyone is probably a flat out lie?

IDEA Fitness member