Milk

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any of those-- I just don't see the need for milk of any kind.

There's no real "need" for any beverage other than water, really, but they're definitely a nice treat - not to mention, they hit the spot with some cookies :)

Eh, to each their own. I prefer cookies with tea or coffee, personally. :)
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I switched to skim for the calorie factor, and I made sure I found some that was fortified with Vitamins A and D. I still use 2% for cooking, that and my husband drinks 2%. I was drinking 1%, but I just made the drop down to skim so I could actually drink more milk to make sure I got enough calcium.

I love dairy products and I don't believe the idea that the body can subsist on water alone. While some people can't handle the dairy for whatever reason, this is one thing i won't sacrifice - there are too many benefits to eating items with calcium in them.
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Doubt there will ever be agreement on this topic! :tongue: To each his own.

Yeah Im kind of new to the whole posting a topic thing, I thought it was a pretty straight forward question. Didnt realize this has been such a hot topic in the past.

Anyway thank you everyone who stuck to the question and gave some good advice. Helped me out a bit and hopefully some others.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any of those-- I just don't see the need for milk of any kind.

There is no "need" for milk of any kind.

As to the original question, there is conflicting evidence and opinions, even among experts as to which is healthier - skim or whole. They both have their good and bad points.
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    my two cents. Around here it is very easy to find hormone and antibiotic free milk. All our grocery stores carry hormone free and organic, but even the small stores around here sell milk that says from cows not treated with hormones. That's all I'll buy. Now our family pediatrician has been telling me for years not to buy into the hype that we need milk for strong bones. He says it is all a marketing issue, the milk mustache campaign, milk is good food, milk builds strong bones etc. It is all for the dairy industry, the same way soy was pushed and added into everything. Because the farmers were growing more soy. Now, people are starting to get sick from eating too much soy. He said, if your kids like milk, fine, let them drink it but don't be fooled into thinking they need it. No animal once it is weaned ever needs to drink milk again, and you don't see cows and other milk weaned animals walking around with weak bones. He said if you eat healthy, other foods have plenty of calcium. On the other hand, my son's best friend's pediatrician told his mom to make sure he drinks 4 glasses of milk every day. These were two different sports physicals with two different physicians, lol. Friends son is a track runner, my son a wrestler. I know my pediatrician is tops in his field and knows his stuff. If you don't get enough sun every day, you need a vitamin D supplement to make sure your calcium is getting absorbed. Bottom line, milk isn't bad if your not lactose intolerant or cutting dairy, but the advertising industry would have you believe it is more necessary to your health than it actually is.
  • Annakersey7212
    Annakersey7212 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    as a vegan i totally agree! dairy is bad for you! :happy:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the absolute best would be raw milk straight from the cow. Then the cow is not pumped full of all sorts of hormones and crap and the milk doesn't have all the good stuff taken out and artificially added back into it. A friend of mine can't drink store bought milk because it makes her sick but she has no problem drinking fresh, whole milk.

Plus, milk fresh from a cow tastes so good. :)

As far as store bought goes, I only buy homo milk now since it works the best for my homemade yogurt so I end up using almost the whole jug for yogurt and drink the rest.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    From my understanding so far, when you talk about milk, you guys refer to fresh milk right?
    Anyone has any input/comment about powdered milk?

I am somewhat lactose intolerant but I get a bit sick of taking calcium pills. So recently, I added 1 tablespoon of full cream powdered milk into my diet.

How is that compared to fresh milk?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Neither is better. Whichever one fits within your macros for the day is better. That may change day by day.
  • murraycharlie
    Options
    i agree. i like the trader joe's organic cream on top milk. it's not homogenized, which makes it easier for people to digest. so, this brand may be better if you get bloating with milk. go by how you feel. i stopped drinking milk completely for a while and noticed no difference in my weight loss, mood, energy etc. i always drank skim milk. I now drink whole milk (organic, unhomogenzed) and am losing weight (also doing p90x, running, yoga etc.).

Some thoughts: stay away from dairy/milk from cows treated with RBGH, which can wreck havoc on your metabolism and other more dangerous side effects such as breast and colon cancer. http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/rbgh/
    Stick with organic or brands that say no RBGH, and you should be fine. Also, soy milk is estrogenic, which can negatively affect metabolism. So, best not to drink a lot of that.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    We don't need milk, but, really, if a consenting adult who doesn't have an intolerance to it wants to drink it, it's no one's business to stop them.

For me, anymore, it's non-fat or nothing, simply because I react badly to milk fats. I only ever drink it when I'm at a relative's house or I'm broke-ish and I want a latte (because they charge you extra for soy milk, which is stupid).

I do eat yogurt, though, because soy yogurt is ridiculously priced, it comes in tiny containers, and I don't currently have the time or resources to make my own. I only eat a couple spoonfuls at a time, so it doesn't noticeably affect my digestive system. I know there are other ways to get the good bacteria from yogurt, but, like I said, I'm poor and Greek yogurt is also a good source of protein, which I need, because the only meat I eat is fish, and I only have that during two meals a week.

If you're drinking milk for the nutrients, you should definitely test out a few alternatives, like rice or soy milk. I prefer rice because it's not as heavy as soy. Actually, I prefer hemp milk, but it's the most expensive and it's really creamy, so I save it for treats. You could also take supplements, if that's your thing. I've started taking vitamin D in place of drinking milk, and I actually get all of my calcium from my diet.

If you're drinking it for the taste, then you're probably going to want to stick with real milk. Soy milk is pretty close in flavor, but it's still a bit...off. None of the rest taste like milk (sorry, guys, but they really don't).
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    We don't need milk, but, really, if a consenting adult who doesn't have an intolerance to it wants to drink it, it's no one's business to stop them.

The cows would be inclined to disagree ;)
    I do eat yogurt, though, because soy yogurt is ridiculously priced, it comes in tiny containers, and I don't currently have the time or resources to make my own. I only eat a couple spoonfuls at a time, so it doesn't noticeably affect my digestive system. I know there are other ways to get the good bacteria from yogurt, but, like I said, I'm poor and Greek yogurt is also a good source of protein, which I need, because the only meat I eat is fish, and I only have that during two meals a week.

Storebought non-dairy yogurt is hella overpriced, I'm with you there, but there are some great homemade soy yogurt recipes out there! Even if not for the dairy-free aspect, it's nice to be able to control what goes into your yogurt. I use the recipe here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/making-soy-yogurt.html
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Today's word in anthropomorphism. Can you say anthropomorphism? I bet you can.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Awww, aren't you a charmer?

Anthropomorphism aside, drinking milk being a "personal choice" assumes that the cows create milk for humans, or that humans have any right to the milk they create.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

LOL, you break me up. The anti milk sect will be out soon saying cows can't read.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Can you say anthropocentric?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

And I respect that opinion. I have no problem with people presenting their facts and opinions on the matter, but personally attacking someone because they don't share your ideals (like people do early and often on these forums) doesn't solve anything.

Storebought non-dairy yogurt is hella overpriced, I'm with you there, but there are some great homemade soy yogurt recipes out there! Even if not for the dairy-free aspect, it's nice to be able to control what goes into your yogurt. I use the recipe here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/making-soy-yogurt.html

Like I said, I don't currently have the time or resources for that. I have plenty of recipes for yogurt, but they all require that I own a yogurt maker or a thermos, neither of which I own and neither of which I can afford. I mean, I could buy one or the other, but having food now is slightly more important, to me.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Like I said, I don't currently have the time or resources for that. I have plenty of recipes for yogurt, but they all require that I own a yogurt maker or a thermos, neither of which I own and neither of which I can afford. I mean, I could buy one or the other, but having food now is slightly more important, to me.

How about an oven or a slow cooker or a heating pad?? I've been making yogurt for a few years now and have never used a thermos or a yogurt maker. I have filled jars with the yogurt milk and put into a preheated oven with the oven light on (oven turned off after it's warmed up) let sit overnight and ta da! Done! But then I moved and there was no oven light so I started putting it in a crock pot. Just take the crock pot thing out and wrap in a towel to keep warm. Let sit overnight and it's done in the morning. I have found recipes where you can put crock pot on low for so many hours and that works too but I've never tried it. This last time I made yogurt I had to wrap it in a heated blanket on high since the house is so cold here now that a towel wasn't keeping it warm enough but with the heated blanket it worked like a charm. :)

All you need is ANYTHING that can keep it warm enough (but not too warm) for long enough. I've heard of people putting the yogurt milk into jars and into a cooler with a heating pad before.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    cow's milk is for calves, drink water.

can the OP get a few answers to a strait forward question before this old debate begins

Thank you.:)
    here here!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options

How about an oven or a slow cooker or a heating pad?? I've been making yogurt for a few years now and have never used a thermos or a yogurt maker. I have filled jars with the yogurt milk and put into a preheated oven with the oven light on (oven turned off after it's warmed up) let sit overnight and ta da! Done! But then I moved and there was no oven light so I started putting it in a crock pot. Just take the crock pot thing out and wrap in a towel to keep warm. Let sit overnight and it's done in the morning. I have found recipes where you can put crock pot on low for so many hours and that works too but I've never tried it. This last time I made yogurt I had to wrap it in a heated blanket on high since the house is so cold here now that a towel wasn't keeping it warm enough but with the heated blanket it worked like a charm. :)

All you need is ANYTHING that can keep it warm enough (but not too warm) for long enough. I've heard of people putting the yogurt milk into jars and into a cooler with a heating pad before.
    I make mine weekly in our slow cooker, works like a charm and tastes amazing. We live next to a dairy farm so the kids get their milk each morning straight from the cow (the baby calfs don't seem to mind sharing by the way!!) it is still warm and they love it! Goats milk is also delicious but don't spill a drop anywhere because that stuff stinks to high heaven when it goes bad!