I struggle in the evenings

Options
My biggest struggle is in the evenings......does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise in the evenings so that takes up some of the time. I also eat in the evenings. I plan for it. I don't agree with the no eating after such and such a time.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Evenings are hardest for me too. Make sure to get whatever your weakness is out of the house (mine is ice cream) and after a while it gets easier. Not easy, just easier...
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing... I do soooo good all day long and then at night is when I blow it!!! :( So I feel ya pain!
  • mindspinmegs311
    mindspinmegs311 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been having that struggle too. I find that if I eat smaller meals throughout the day, and eat one in the evening, I'm less tempted to snack and binge before bed. I also try to sip on flavored or plain water when I get a craving for something sweet (that's what happens to me in the evenings) and that sometimes helps.
  • dakmom
    dakmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cravings in the evening, but have found that drinking an 8 oz. glass of milk really helps a lot. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    evenings are the worse. I just try to remind myself of what I have already accomplished during the day. Especially if i worked out, because you dont wanna cancel out all of the good work you did earlier. I try to keep my hands busy, do the dishes, clean, get a small hobby, read. If you keeps yours hands busy you wont have anything to eat with lol. Personally i often paint my nails because then you cant touch anything for awhile.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I make sure to have a snack worked into my day for the evening. Something I really enjoy. If I'm extra hungry I make sure to have something more filling for the evening. Like a cup of pumpkin mixed with sf butterscotch pudding mix, cinnamon and pumpkin spice with cool whip on top. Pomegranate takes awhile to eat. Popcorn can be satisfying. Make plain popcorn, use a oil spray on it and then put whatever spices you like on.

If you are staying away from foods at night, then herbal tea might help. Try to find something distracting to do that you will enjoy.

Night time is hard, that's for sure.
  • joannnolley
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill every night for 30 minutes between 8-10. This is normally the time when I want to snack but it takes away my craving. This is the only thing that has ever fixed this life long problem for me.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    Like other posters said, I do my exercising in the evening. Then I am not hungry and don't want to ruin my good work. Also, I close out my diary for the day. I know you can add afterwards, but mentally that lets me know that my eating is done for the day.
  • TonyaLBC
    TonyaLBC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The evening is when I struggle the most, as well.

I have finally found something that works for me: I MUST plan my meals out - at least a day in advance - in order to be successful. I plan the meals, enter them into my foo diary, so I'll know how many calories I have. In that plan, I include the food that I love - I don't cheat myself, but I must account for those higher calorie foods, so that I don't find myself, at the end of the day, wanting food, and having spent all of my daily calories.

In addition, I try to leave 100 - 200 calories left over, just in case - and I usually try to fill that up with fruit. Even if I have reached my daily limit, and just have to have something else, I satiate the something else with my favorite fruit.

And I can't keep those "binge" foods in the house - the foods that I love so much that I can't have just a little - I'll eat an entire bag of chips or cookies or drink a couple sodas - so those are banned from my house!

A little practice will help you determine what will work best for you.
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, i could have a perfect day with eating and burned 600 cals in cardio and then night comes and i could devour my whole kitchen. I really like the idea about working out at night i think i may try this :) also eating smaller meals through out the day has helped me also! Glad others can relate, its time to end this habit for me!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Evenings are hardest for me too. Even if I have a late dinner (say 8pm), by 10pm I'm hungry and I can't get to sleep hungry. That's when my biggest temptation snack calls - cheese sandwich!

My new trick (doesn't always work) is to have a big glass of water with a couple of spoons of benefiber in it at about 9pm - that fills me up nicely, hopefully until the cravings go away.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    are you struggling with sweets, snacks, just plain old boredom?

cause you can do what i do - buy hot atomic fire balls - three for 70 calories - eat those slowly and you might not even need another one afte rhte first one but you know you get three for that amount - your mouth will be too hot to want to eat anything else and youll kick your sweets craving

*says she as she's sucking on one right now*
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise in the evenings so that takes up some of the time. I also eat in the evenings. I plan for it. I don't agree with the no eating after such and such a time.

I agree with you, because i found a lot of experts say, calories in calories out. Now some say don't eat high fat food close to bedtime i don't know, i just eat my calories and see what the scale show.
  • fnlewis13
    fnlewis13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!! I "eat clean" for breakfast, lunch and most of the times dinner...but after dinner and bedtime....it's over! It's like a horrible addiction to snacks and unhealthy foods!
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just save enough cals for the evning - cause I can't resist temptation. :ohwell: But who am I to give advice? I haven't lost much so far...:tongue:
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I do it all...that should tell you how bad my habit is! I jog on the treadmill for 30 min. between 8-10pm, 3 times a week. I also try the tall glass of water trick. Most of the time I have to decide if I really need the snack OR if I THINK I need it.....most of the time I just want it.
    I grew up with ice cream as a bedtime snack....horrible habit and now I fight it like crazy. I keep lowfat frozen yogurt on hand and wait until I just can't stand it anymore and then I give in and have exactly one serving(1/2 cup). I usually "earn" the extra calories for this treat and I am desperatley trying to kick the habit...down to just a few nights a week. One thing I am working on is switching from frozen yogurt to the Greek yogurt with fruit or honey in them. I add one tbsp. of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips(these taste the best to me) to it. Gives you the perfect snack and it is loaded with protein, no fat...does have sugar but hey, I'm trying!

Forgot to add that I have tried eating more during the early part of the day and then just lean meat and veggies for dinner...seems like if I let myself eat the snack foods earlier in the day then I don't want them later AND I have plenty of time to exercise extra if needed!
    It just stinks to work hard all day and mess it up later in the evening but I don't believe in noteating the things you want to, just have to make it all balance out.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I struggle at night too- so I try to do things for myself- like take a bath, read a book, watch tv- BUT I brush my teeth at about 7 to try to prevent myself from eating. Now that its colder out- bubble baths have been a big thing for me- I try to take a bubble bath at about 8, watch tv and then go to bed around 10. I think its hard for me bc its when I have down time, and am maybe bored and start roaming for snacks.. Chewing gum, playing a silly putty - or crazy arons thinking putty- is a great way for ME to keep my hands busy- and I find if my hands are busy I dont nibble. But water is also a great fix.
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Same problem here!! I can do realy good all day and wreck it in the evening
  • tannerjared
    tannerjared Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I try drinking alot of water in the evenings. like 50 ounces. that seems to do the trick. also keeps you hydrated through the night when your body is healing. I sometimes take a protein shake if im feeling really hungry.