HOW DID YOU PICK YOUR WEIGHT GOAL?

Options

Replies

• BuckeyeBlubber
    Options
    I thought I wanted to land at 140, but I am not really sure. I used to run, and had strong legs no upper body strength. Then I did yoga and was tight all over but not muscular. Both scenarios I weighed around 128-133. I am 47 now, and 18 months ago got down to 140 due to extreme stress. I didn't look how much older my face looked at a lower weight, but I don't know if that was the stress showing either. So I am just concentrating on overall health, and for the first time building muscle all over (ending 2nd week of P90X today). It will be a new discovery to see where I end up, and where do I want to go from there. I weigh 159 now at 5'7".
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Picked a weight I thought I would look good at, found out I was way off, picked another weight, repeated several times.

this.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    it sounds like a nice number and I like having curves just not these curves. Also its only 30 lbs away~! I have until March to try to lose it all! Seems like an obtainable goal.

CW: 203.4 lbs
    HW: 221 lbs
    GW: 175 lbs

Now 175 is still considered "obeast" for my height but I figure as long as I maintain a healthy lifestyle the actual number isn't as important as how i feel physically, mentally and emotionally!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's not very scientific and actually maybe more esoteric and not for everybody to attempt.... but I 'meditated' on a number to be at and 116 floated into my mind. I am also 5'2" and I am at the healthy weight range, so I accepted this as my goal. I've been chasing this number on and off for 10 years but this time I am really close! I've changed my goal to 120 because I am 10 years older, but now that I am close to 120, I had to set it back at 116.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I used a formula.

I took my lowest score in golf, multiplied by 100, divided by 42, added 600, divided by 94, and subtracted 26.
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that I was comfortable at years ago and found relatively easy to maintain. Im 4'11" and my goal weight is 130 I will re evaluate this when I meet this weight.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I picked the last weight I thought I looked good at which was also my weight when I met my husband. I have to reach that weight to complete a deal with my husband. He'll quit smoking when I reach 130 lbs. He's cutting back in preparation. :-) I'll tweak, up or down, to get the look I'm going for--a flat tummy and thighs not touching when my heels are together.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Picked a weight I thought I would look good at, found out I was way off, picked another weight, repeated several times.

Same here, first it was 20 lbs lost but the mirror doesn't lie. Went to 30 lbs lost but still had excess weight I knew should go. Went to 40 lbs lost and had to buy all new pants and belts! ; ) I do need to still lose another 10 lbs to get solidly in my healthy BMI range.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I used a formula.

I took my lowest score in golf, multiplied by 100, divided by 42, added 600, divided by 94, and subtracted 26.

Do golf video game scores work too? This sounds much more reliable than BMI!
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's just the weight I was at once where I could put any clothes on and feel comfortable and look good. I miss being that weight!!
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a certain size and chose a weight that would put me around that size. I'm 5'10-ish and started this year at a 20W and now I wear a 16/18 in misses. Ultimate stop is a 12/14 in misses. Clothes are way cheaper. =]

Congrats on your progress and more good luck!

5499814.png
  • ilovemyhorse
    Options
    I'm 5'3 so my goal weight is 125. Seems like a good number
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've picked my goal weight by figuring out what my healthy body fat percentage should be.
  • chelseathinspired
    chelseathinspired Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are four years apart and we are the same height, and we also have the same body type. She is really healthy, fit, and skinny. I am using her as an estimate of what I want to achieve. Seeing as we are so similar.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    well i'm 5'6/ 5'7. My goal weight has changed some many times. Right now its 135lbs. I've set it a little lower but i'm sure i'll reach it soon.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    First I went to the BMI charts and chose a number on the lower end of the healthy range. Then I tried to remember when I looked my best. It was in that lower range of healthy. I am 5'8 1/2" tall and felt I should weigh 135. When I got to 135 I upped my calories to "maintain." Unfortunately, I continued to lose. Not at a fast pace but kind of gradually I dropped to 131. This was not good at all. I thought I would like to wear a size 4 jean. Not a great idea. A size 6 or even a size 8 is fine. I look curvier in a 6. A size 4 was not for me.

Now I am struggling to maintain my goal weight of 135-137. Sure, I can re-gain the 3 or 4 pounds in an unhealthy way, but this is not what I want to do. I want to regain the weight in a healthy way -- not going over my fat and/or sugar and/or sodium goals.

I have to concentrate just as diligently on reaching my calorie goals each day as anyone who is trying to lose. It takes just as much discipline, effort and concentration to reach your calorie goals to gain as to lose. But if I don't reach my goals on a consistent basis (again, always trying to stay under in fats/ sugars/ sodium), I will continue to drop pounds which I don't want to do.
  • threeforagirl
    Options
    I picked mine because it was at about the middle of my "healthy" BMI weight range, but we will see how I feel at the top of the range/what size I am there and figure out if that's still my goal :)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I was when I was strong and very active. It is apparently still too high from what the charts say but I'm not concerned about that.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I started at 129kg and set my goal to be 99kg (double digits). This is a number I can't forget :o) Below the 100kg (220lb) barrier.

I plan NEVER to go into triple digits again. Doc says I should be 90kg - he says I have big bones, but I think under all that fat was big muscles hehehe.

Next numbers barrier: below 100cm waist (40inch). This is the last part to move so time will heal.

Edit: By the weigh - obese all my adult life, oh to be a child again !
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just chose a number that was in the middle ish of my healthy BMI, lol Who knows if I'l actually stick to it, I'll see how I look and feel at that weight.