Diet Soda??? Your thoughts?

Options
I currently drink one fountain drink of Diet Dr. Pepper per day. Is this really going to prevent me from losing weight? I know it's probably not the healthiest choice, but I rationalize that it's my "treat" for the day, and as long as I'm drinking plenty of water, it probably won't affect things that much. Am I totally off here? What have been people's experiences with diet soda? Did you have to give it up when you decided to lose weight? Thanks!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    <--- Drinks diet soda daily. :smile:

If you're someone who had adverse reactions to artificial sweeteners, you should avoid them, but for the rest of the us... enjoy. :drinker:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    No, it's not going to prevent you from losing weight. People will tell you that diet soda is high in sodium, but if you look at the back of the can, you can see that claim is simply false for most sodas. People will also tell you that asparatame, splenda, and other no-calorie artificial sweeteners are dangerous, that they cause insulin to spike, appetite to increase, cancer, er... <insert horror story of your choice here>. I've done my homework and I'm convinced that for every asparatame-is-the-boogyman 'scientific' research article, there's at least an equal portion (usually more) of quality research articles that say the artificial sweeteners are harmless, that they do not cause insulin levels to spike, that they do not increase appetite, that they do not promote weight gain, etc...

A lot of the anti-asparatame campaign is based on correlative data, as in America has become more obese as a nation and at the same time they've begun to drink more diet soda.

But correlation is not causation.

My point? If you like it, drink it. I like it. I find the 'sweet' helps me lay off other 'sweets' with calories in them.

I chew gum for the same reason.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I drink them often. Hasn't derailed me.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    If I'm not drinking water, I'm drinking diet Pepsi (which is a lot) and the weight is falling off me just fine.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised at the responses. :) I love soda. Thanks, everyone!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi twice a day. It's my "coffee" in the morning and my "dessert" in the evening.

In a little bit we'll start to hear from the "diet soda is poison crowd" and of course myself and others "in the know" will refute their EXAGGERATED claims with actual scientific studies and proof.

It's not of any nutritional value, but if it keeps you from binging on sugar filled foods and drinks, then I feel it's fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Be aware that the sodium listed on the label is per SERVING, not per bottle or can. A 12 oz can is usually 2 servings, so if you drink the whole can, the sodium is double what is listed on the can.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have never found it makes a difference -- tried dieting with diet soda and without -- no difference and it does give you a sense of something sweet so that you don't eat the real "sweet"!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Be aware that the sodium listed on the label is per SERVING, not per bottle or can. A 12 oz can is usually 2 servings, so if you drink the whole can, the sodium is double what is listed on the can.
    Untrue. A 12oz can of diet Pepsi is one serving. The serving has 35mg of sodium. You must be thinking of 24 to 32 ounce servings.

http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/infobyproduct.php?prod_type=1026&prod_size=20&brand_fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Diet+Pepsi

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I keep it out of my diet, but for me, it's more about "eating/drinking clean" rather than "weight loss". It depends on your own personal philosophy.

The best diet drink out there really is water.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

If you're talking about a 16oz bottle, maybe, but on most sodas now, one can is one serving. I've even noticed on larger bottles, the information is often listed on a "per container" basis. I'm looking at my 12oz Diet Pepsi can right now...
    Serving size: 1can
    Amount per serving:
    Sodium: 35mg

Which, by the way, is about the same amount of sodium as in three baby carrots. :smile:

On the other hand, my Gatorade bottle is 32 oz, with a serving size of 12 oz and 2.5 servings per container, with 160mg sodium per serving, or 400mg per bottle.

Edit: Niner beat me to it. I was going to take a photo of the can, but it was too hard to read.
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I once was one of those people that thought anything with artificial sweetener in it was bad for you until I did my own research and stopped listening to everyone else's opinions. I stopped drinking regular soda and now have about 2-3 diet sodas a day.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is my crack.

Aspartame is completely broken down by the body into chemicals that exist in natural foods. The body uses the chemicals in the exact same way regardless of the source.
  • anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    <<<<< LOVES diet mt. dew & I drink about 3 a day at least :)
  • lovekck
    lovekck Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Heck no! I drink a diet Dr. Pepper daily with my lunch and it actually helps to fill me up!

No one is taking my coffee or diet sodas away! Thats for sure!!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I too LOVE diet pepsi and drink it regularly.... it has not affected my results :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Regular Coca Cola (sparingly) IS the BESTEST!
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke and sometimes I drink a lot of it! It is also a "treat" for me.
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My own experience has been that if I drink a can of diet soda every day it definitely hampers my weight loss.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I drink water all day long at work and when I get home a diet soda is like my afterword treat. On the weekends I drink more and this has not effected my weight loss. I also drink diet green tea that is made with splenda.

But I have to use real sugar in my coffee. The one thing I cant give up...lol