Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Like drama much? You wanted to start a *kitten* storm on the boards today, didn't you?

Google and WebMD would have been better than MFP - where you will get blasted for saying such things like any mention of WLS.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You really don't have that much to lose? Don't you want the learning experience?

Based on your height (and you carry the weight you are now very well) you could go for something like 120. So that's around 100 pound weight loss. Maybe you're just discouraged look at some success stories they really help.

It's something to be proud of when you lose weight, it would feel so much better to do it without.
    Weight loss isn't easy by any means for anyone it's on my mind every second of everyday.
  • goddessmother
    Options
    I am on the path to WLS myself. It is the right decision for me as I have injured my hip and need the weight off my joints so that I can walk again like I used to. I had lost 65 lbs on my own and was going to the gym 4x a week when I took a kick boxing class and ended up unable to walk more than a couple hundred feet without extreme pain. I am losing if not already lost all my muscle tone and have gained back 30 lbs.

The real truth is 95% of people who lose weight on their own gain most if not all of it back and then some. With WLS there are some who gain their weight back, but most stay within 10-20 lbs of the weight they finally get down to after surgery. The rest who don't stick with the program do gain back more weight, but most never gain it all back.

Good luck in your decision. I also have over 100lbs to lose(130 to be completely accurate). There are several of us on here going that route as the mfp food tracker is good to help us in before and after surgery food tracking.

Gretchen
  • relledge
    Options
    I would consider a lap band over gastric bypass....gastic bypass is permanent and a lap band can be adjusted. People that I know of who have had a gastric bypass have a lot of complications and it's a very strict diet not just eating healthly. Make sure you look at both options before you decide.
  • abazooday727
    Options
    I have seen with my own eyes horror from these surgeries...A friend of mine had it done a couple of years ago. She has had to go back and have many tumors taken off the "dead" part of her stomach. She is always in terrible pain from the surgery. Another friend of mine was having the sleeve done. 3 days later they admitted her into the hospital for dehydration and kidney failure. They had to go back in and perform the total gastric bypass on her. She almost died from organ failure even after the second surgery. She is still having problems keeping some things down. She is also still having muscle problems from being in the hospital so long..Her muscles atrophied. Please make sure you are ready for the consequences. Both friends do not look healthy. Like the other lady said, They are on suppements and their hair is thin and brittle...look drug out and tired all the time.
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would be surprised if you qualify, don't you have to have like a BMI of 45% or something, if you are only 235 I bet they would make you gain before you could qualify and I think that would be detrimental to the process. My starting weight is 50 lbs higher than yours and I am definitely going to try to do it the healthy way. I don't want anything cut up or sewn up or zipped up on my body besides my jeans!!!!!!!! LOL
  • frycase
    Options
    The BEST thing you can do is talk to your doctor. Just because someone has a good or bad experience with it doesn't mean you will have the same experience. You will encounter people who think it's the worst thing you can do, and people who will say it's the best thing they've ever done, and every stage inbetween. Talk to your doctor, and let them help you decide if this is the best choice for YOU.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    my grandma go the lap band and gained everything back. she could hardly eat ANYTHING and was always worried about throwing up.

my husband's aunt had gastric bypass surgery. now she can't eat more then half a cup of food and has to choose to either eat or drink - not both at the same time or she will throw up.

my friend's grandpa had gastric bypass and they didn't do it right, he died 2 days later because all the food he was eating went straight out of his stomach into his body.

not trying to scare you out of it or tell you not to. i can't say what i would do, because i'm not in your position. all i know is that with all the terrible things i've heard about weight loss surgery... i don't think i'd consider it. in the end you are going to be doing the same things you are now. to me it's just not worth the risk.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    These types of METHODS really should b a last resort. . I could understand if your health were at risk right now, but in all honesty with the amount that you have displayed on your ticker that you need to lose. . I would stick with diet and exercise. I know someone that had far more than that to lose and now has lost 110lbs. . My darling neice that made me aware of this site. . So please thoughtfully consider what you want to accomplish and talk to your physician. Good luck with your journey, whatever your choice.:bigsmile:
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are comming from, My starting weight was 480lbs. Its embarassing and humiliating to admit, so much so, I never told anyone about it, they knew i was fat, just not a bowling ball short of 500. Being completely honest has been the most difficult and most rewarding part of this journey. I have found more strength in me than I ever expected.

I researched surgeries and lap bands and all that. On the surface, its really cool and wonderful, but underneath, its dark dark world. Many people fail with this because they are weak willed to begin with and use this a physical control mechanism as opposed to using thier own mental control mechanism. The classes are meant to teach you how to eat right, and stay on track.

Here's the dope:

Do you know how to eat right? YES . Do you know how to exercise? YES. Then why would going to a class all of a sudden make a difference. More over, if you know what to do, then why do you need the surgery?

Here are your simple answers to your difficult questions:
    Do I need the surgery?
    No, You are dealing with depression on a level that we cannot comprehend. Surgery is a Physical fix to a mental problem

What do I do now?
    You write down, explore and find out whats causing your imbalance and learn to deal with it and accept it. This was the most difficult part of the journey for me. I had to write out everything about myself, what I hated and why I became this way. You claim meds. I call bull$%!t.

Get off your *kitten* and get it done. You need to come up with a plan that works for you. I would love to help with it if you would like

What happens if it doesn't work?
    Get up and try again.

I have a great love for you. I want you to do it and I believe truly believe you can do it yourself. Please stay strong.
  • okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and we get WL surgical patient that have problems such as malnourishment/dehydration (from not eating properly), sepsis (lowered immune system), skin rashes (loose skin), bowel problems (altered diet and digestion process), heart problems/failure/cardiac arrest (from jacked up electrolytes), and just about any other problem you can think of because of complications. It messes with every body system if it is not preformed properly and maintained properly. My experience for whatever it's worth. It's not a jump start by any means. It is a lifelong challange in itself.
  • deadstarsunburn
    Options
    I guess I still feel that the weight gain is not my fault......I blame it on the medications. So that is why I feel the surgery is for me. My story is a little different. I was taking very strong meds for a while to balance me out.

I would just like to add that I gained weight from the same kinds of medication...so it's possible to lose it.
    100 pounds is overwhelming but set mini goals. I have a total of 80.
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My brother had a gastric band fitted a few years ago and although he lost 100lbs or so, boy was he miserable! Eating became an impossibility and he was frequently sick and in pain. It used to take he 10 minutes to chew and swallow one prawn. Personally, I think you should try and lose weight by eating less and exercising more.
    By the way, my brother has now had his band loosened off and is so much happier.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi I don't know much about wls but I was 210lb when I started here in February so not much less than you are now and I have got down to 145lb through eating less and walking a bit more. I know I should have done more exercise but I didn't and still lost. I also still eat what I want just not in such big quantities.

All I'm trying to say is small changes make a big difference and that if I can do it anyone can. Surgery is a massive step and if that's the route you want to take then great but maybe just give calorie counting a go for a bit longer and see how you get on before making such a life changing decision.

Feel free to add me if you want any extra support! You can do this
  • deadstarsunburn
    Options
    Removed my comment I'm not going to try and argue
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later. I have to let my mom read this because she thinks getting gastric is an easy way out, to me it doesn't occur to her how major and risky it is.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't pay for it, someone does. Having surgery because your insurance pays for it seems like a misplaced priority. It's like going to the doctor for the sniffles because it only costs you a co-pay. Someone else pays the remaining money. Just a thought.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There are some requirements that must be met. For example......you have to be at LEAST 100 pounds over weight. Which I am since I am only 5'2 and weigh about 230. Your BMI has to be at least 40, and mine is 42. You also have to have some issues or problems to your health in order to be considered...well I have high cholesterol too. So I am a good candidate. For me to lose 100 pounds is a LOT! I feel so overwhelmed...that is why I am looking into this.

I have several friends and coworkers who had the surgery, 1 out of 5 has successfully kept the weight off for more than 2 years. The others have not only gained the weight back but more and had added health complications.

These there the things I considered when embarking on my 102 lb. weight loss journey. I was 100# overweight, BMI in excess of 40 and health problems related to my weight. Yes, losing weight is tough for me as I had the added complication of thyroid cancer. But losing weight is tough for lots of people otherwise I'd be the only one on MFP.

For me, the surgery was not an option. Not because of the money or health but because I didn't want to be a 4 of the 5. I'm going to guess that statistically the success rate after 2 years with the lap band is lower.

I realize that may not work for everyone and I'm not placing judgement on anyone who has had the surgery. For me, the right choice was to do it the old fashioned way, eat less and exercise more. It's working as I'm losing weight at close to the same rate as what the lap band indicates. :flowerforyou:

Slainte
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. That has made it very difficult for me as well. It's not my fault that I have this condition, it's so bad that my thyroid is barely functioning and eventually I may even have to get it taken out, which will make it that much easier to gain, and that much harder to lose. The thyroid controls the metabolism, so mine runs very slowly. But it still runs. And I can still lose the weight when I work really hard. As for anti depressants, they can cause weight gain for several reasons, but they do not make it impossible to maintain or lose weight. Just harder. Whether it's medication, or a health condition, just because it wasn't our fault doesn't mean we can't be in control. I've been on anti depressants as well, I was on anti depressants all through out high school, into college, and I kept gaining and gaining, but even when I was on the meds, if I ate REALLY well, REALLY watched my calories, and made sure I exercised atleast an hour a day, or even half an hour if I really didn't have the time, even then, I'd STILL lose weight, with both things working against me. Seeing as how I have this condition, I have to work a lot harder to lose the same amount of weight as someone without this condition, but it's not impossible. It just takes more time and effort. It may take longer but that's okay. It's not about how fast I lose it. As long as I lose. The same goes for medication. It's harder, it makes it A LOT harder, but not impossible. Maybe someone else in your situation will lose 3 lbs a week, where you will only lose 1 lb a week doing the same exercise and diet, but you'll still lose. As a few other people mentioned, the surgery has some risky side affects, some of which can be permanent. You are in control, you just have to fight a little harder than most. Weight loss surgery only makes you lose weight because you're practically starving yourself. That is the sole reason for the weight loss. If you're not an emotional eater and you feel you're totally in control of your diet as you suggest, then you can restrict your calories without the weight loss surgery. Right? Because that's the ONLY reason the surgery makes you lose weight. If diet isn't a problem for you, as you suggest, then why would the surgery, which only affects your diet, make a difference?

I agree with you. I think accountabilty is important. I can`t blame having my babies and slow thyroid for getting fat. I put the food in my mouth and did not exercise. Even though you are on medication that makles you gain weight, it is the food you put in your body that makes you get fat. I had myself convinced that I didn`t eat alot.... and then MFP happened and I realized what the truth was. Also, on top of it if you don`t exercise and lead a sedentary lifestyle then you don`t burn enough calories. Once I started holding myself accountable, then the changes started to happen. I have spent a whole year losing weight and have lost 51lbs.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not remotely in that boat, but I wouldn't probably consider that sort of surgery unless I weighed about 500 pounds. I know slow weight loss can be really challenging - I have had about 40 pounds to lose and have lost about 17 (dropped 10 before I started here, so it only shows 7) - over SEVEN months, not 2, as I had sort of thought I might. From my personal experience - while I'm not battling with the additional physical hardships of more extreme overweight - I am GLAD it has taken me this long. I have focused hard on kicking my *kitten* as close to daily as possible (MFP has helped me IMMENSELY stay true to workout goals - I've been about 90% with it since joining), tracking my MEASUREMENTS, which shrink a lot faster than my weight, keeping almost every day and meal to a healthful plan of wholesome foods within a sensible calorie range that doesn't make me hungry, and how I feel - which is great. So my benefits are coming from the rewards I get every day from making these choices, and it's terrific to turn around and realize I've lost nearly 20 pounds - more in fat, and probably a couple pounds gained in muscle - and I'm committed to just carrying on as I am. I'll be adding a couple of hundred calories to my daily meals when I have reached my goal, generally, but mostly my life will carry on the same.

Since you had a situation with medication that you say has led to your current overweight condition, it should go without saying but I'd definitely encourage you to be listening to some advice from a doctor who hopefully has a whole-person, wellness-not-just-weight-loss approach, to help deal with whatever the biological repercussions are or have been from that treatment...?

All best and go steady out there - be strong and happy in the moment, get the professional advice, etc. etc. x