Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you have to restrict to such an extent after the surgery amd exercose as well - why not just take the surgery out of the equation and talk to a doctor about going on a doctor-supervised low calorie diet. It will be less risky to your health and with fewer chances of long term complications. And you will feel amazing having done something so amazing on your own.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Instead of looking at the end result, take it in little increments, even 5 lbs. It won't seem as overwhelming if you break it up that way. Yes, having to lose weight the good old fashioned way can be overwhelming, but it will be soo much better for you in the long run.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and barely able to walk from room to room cause of severely bad knee's I finally had that AHA moment and decided I wanted to live... I knew from the beginning there was no way I was having weightloss surgery because if I couldn't fix what was broken in my head there was no way I was ever going to beat my addictions to food. I was staring at having to lose atleast 300 lbs. and couldn't even support my own weight so I started in Aquatic therapy til I had lost enough weight to get fitted with braces and was able to start doing more exercise outside of the pool. I worked with a dietician to change my eating habits and a therapist to work on my food addictions and depression and social phobias. 29 months later and losing on avg. 2 lbs. a week, I have lost 288 lbs. and have a pretty firm grasp on my addictions (am I cured? heck no) but it will be something i will have to continue to work on every single day. You have to get to the point in your life where you want to do this for yourself, that you say I am important and I want to live! I choose life!! and then get up every single day and do everything you possibly can each and everyday to be successful...... In the end it is your choice to do what you think is best for you but you have to understand there is no magic pill or easy way out. It is a lifestyle commitment, there is no other way......... Good Luck to you....
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and barely able to walk from room to room cause of severely bad knee's I finally had that AHA moment and decided I wanted to live... I knew from the beginning there was no way I was having weightloss surgery because if I couldn't fix what was broken in my head there was no way I was ever going to beat my addictions to food. I was staring at having to lose atleast 300 lbs. and couldn't even support my own weight so I started in Aquatic therapy til I had lost enough weight to get fitted with braces and was able to start doing more exercise outside of the pool. I worked with a dietician to change my eating habits and a therapist to work on my food addictions and depression and social phobias. 29 months later and losing on avg. 2 lbs. a week, I have lost 288 lbs. and have a pretty firm grasp on my addictions (am I cured? heck no) but it will be something i will have to continue to work on every single day. You have to get to the point in your life where you want to do this for yourself, that you say I am important and I want to live! I choose life!! and then get up every single day and do everything you possibly can each and everyday to be successful...... In the end it is your choice to do what you think is best for you but you have to understand there is no magic pill or easy way out. It is a lifestyle commitment, there is no other way......... Good Luck to you....

A big congrats to you for all the hard work you've done to get where you are. Everything you said is right on the money.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes the classes are for maintaining weight loss, and also an evaluation, psych evaluation, etc etc etc. All these things to make sure you are qualified.

I understand that I need to change my eating habits and fitness habits......but like I said, losing 100 pounds is overwhelming. It is like I need a jump start of some sorts to get me moving in the right direction. The reason I am considering it is because like I said my insurance covers it...and I just pay a very small percentage of it...so in the end I will not lose a whole lot of money if I gain it all back.

I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.

First of all it is not an easy way out. There is nothing easy about weight loss surgery. Yes there are many out there who gain the weight back but there are even more who do not and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Many people who lose the weight the non surgery way also gain the weight back. Yo-Yo dieting is very common, the more times you lose the weight and gain it back, the harder it is to lose again. Your comment about you will not lose a lot of money if you gain it all back shows that you are not ready for the surgery. The surgery isn't about money, it is about getting a tool to help you lose the weight. If you do not change your eating habits and make life long changes you will fail. In addition to making changes in your eating habits you have to make changes in the way you think about food. You have to be willing to give up a lot of foods. Some for life, depending on the surgery you have. Do your research and make sure you are prepared mentally. Right now you are not, And yes, I have had surgery and I would recommend it to most who ask if they are serious. .
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    my grandma go the lap band and gained everything back. she could hardly eat ANYTHING and was always worried about throwing up.

my husband's aunt had gastric bypass surgery. now she can't eat more then half a cup of food and has to choose to either eat or drink - not both at the same time or she will throw up.

my friend's grandpa had gastric bypass and they didn't do it right, he died 2 days later because all the food he was eating went straight out of his stomach into his body.

Not to dispute what you are saying, but misinformation runs rampant. He would not have been eating anything 2 days after a bypass. You don't get anything to eat for weeks. You don't even get anything to drink for about 24 hours after surgery once they do the leak test to make sure everything is leakproof. I'm not saying something didn't go wrong but it wasn't because of food he was eating.
    not trying to scare you out of it or tell you not to. i can't say what i would do, because i'm not in your position. all i know is that with all the terrible things i've heard about weight loss surgery... i don't think i'd consider it. in the end you are going to be doing the same things you are now. to me it's just not worth the risk.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to try it the hard way; those types of surgeries are extremely hard on your body. If only your cholesterol is high, I would suggest trying to fix your diet and see if any changes happen the natural route. Most people I've heard of having the band were miserable because they could only eat tiny amounts of food and if they overdid it would find themselves throwing up a lot. On here, I've witnessed 3-4 of my MFP buddies losing 40-50 lbs in a matter of a few months. It can be done. Sometimes it's easy to look for a 'cure all' method, but unfortunately these surgeries aren't guaranteed to keep your weight off.

Good luck with your decision.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was recently looking into gastric bypass surgery!! For about 9 months that all i researched and talked about. My insurance covers it and I met all the requirements except I could not provide them with a 5 year medical history and after an appeal letter they denied me twice! I decided I had to do it on my own and know I am completely grateful. I know a lot of people that have had the surgery and have done really well but I also have known one person to die from it and another to have her whole life changed for the bad because of it. In and out of the hospital, puking all the time, and very depressed!! I am glad I didn't get the surgery because I can lead a normal life. But for a lot of people it changes their life for the better!!! I would research research research!!! There is a site that is just like this one except mainly for weight loss surgery called obesityhelp.com and it is very helpful!!! The lap band has been called the "crap band" because it usually has a lot of problems and results in getting another surgery to take it out or get another wls! Its your choice just know what to expect and use it as a tool not a miracle!! Best of luck just make sure what ever you decide that it is your own decision!! I had so many different responses to wanting to get the surgery and most were negative so it can be really hard to make up your mind!

Also know that there are several other surgeries not just gastric bypass and lap band.

Yes, I had a family member die from gastric bypass...very scary!!! If you do chose to have one of these VERY dangerous surgery's, I highly suggest doing your research on your choice of doctor and how to take care of yourself, ect.. also IMO, you seem to just barely be meeting the requirements, you could prob. end up doing this all on your own. Anyways, no matter what you choose, it's your choice and best wishes and luck to you on your journey of getting healthy.
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have had a family memeber die as well :(
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    So, did the OP go for it or not?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I know several people who had weight loss surgery, and have been in so much misery for years that they regret doing it.

These articles outlines some of the more common problems with weight loss surgery:

Weight Loss Surgery Complications Forum
    http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/complications/

Complications of bariatric surgery
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/complications-of-bariatric-surgery

Gastrointestinal Complications of Obesity Surgery: Gastrointestinal Complications of Bariatric Surgery
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/471952_5

Bariatric Surgery Risks and Complications
    http://www.realize.com/bariatric-surgery-risks-complications.htm
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My advice to you, since you have to take a 6 month course any way, is: If you really really feel like this is what YOU should do.. then sign up for it- but give your self those 6 months [while you're taking the courses]. I mean REALLY work at losing weight the right and healthy way.. because it seems to me that you're wanting a "quick fix" or in your words a "jump start".. but losing weight isn't just about being skinny.. it's about life style changes, and during the changes, it's about coming to terms with your body, and where you're at as a person.. and I feel like doing it the right way, and working hard for what you want- makes you happy, and proud of your self- even if your out come, isn't exactly what you dreamed it would be...
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Only YOU can decide if this is for you or not. My best friend died from complications 5 years out after having gastric bypass. However, I have another friend that has lost over 100 pounds, is maintaining her loss, and has no health complications whatsoever. Her health has improved dramatically.

I would never judge a person that decides to have bariatric surgery, nor would I encourage you to do so. The people that say that this is the "easy" way out do not have a clue. This is a very difficult surgery and there is nothing easy about it.

Best wishes on whatever your decision is.
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would never recommend WLS for anyone who has less than 100 lbs to lose.

Here's the deal with Weight Loss Surgery - most people who get it gain the weight back within 5 years. Because WLS doesn't address the problem. It forces you to eat less, but doesn't get to the heart of the issues of why you are over weight nor does it teach you how to eat normally for the long run.

This is so true!

WRONG. Most people that have WLS, meaning the RNY or the Sleeve, 80% keep it off. Only 5 % of people that diet, keep it off. Anyone trying to lose large amounts of weight needs behavior modification. That should be the goal of any weightloss program.
    However WLS is just a tool. But to say most people gain their weight back is misinformation.
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Do what ever you want but I personally I lose total respect for anyone who has to cut them selves up just to stop over eating. Learn to make the changes you need. People can change and people can learn new healthy behaviors. It is pathetic and should only be considered as a life saving absolute last resort decision.

OMG.....how ignorant.

I applaud anyone that has the balls to change their lifestyle and get healthier. It doesn't matter if the person had surgery or not. The outcome is what matters.
  • tkieran
    tkieran Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with MissBettyBoop. One needs to have that epiphany, that moment when you decide to take control of your life, weight, and health, be it through surgical or nonsurgical means. Speaking from firsthand experience, bariatric surgery is not an easy way out. In fact, many of us make such a drastic decision because it is the last resort. I am almost 8yrs postop and still struggle with my weight. It is just now that I am learning that the surgery is a tool, much more so than a solution. It does not work alone: you need to know how to use it and learn (via dietician visits and support groups) a healthy way of eating FOR LIFE. Also daily exercise is as important as the eating. I wish I'd figured this out a few years sooner. Better late than never I say, so here's to the reinstatement of my weight loss "tool" :-)
  • Hyoderrn
    Hyoderrn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes the classes are for maintaining weight loss, and also an evaluation, psych evaluation, etc etc etc. All these things to make sure you are qualified.

I understand that I need to change my eating habits and fitness habits......but like I said, losing 100 pounds is overwhelming. It is like I need a jump start of some sorts to get me moving in the right direction. The reason I am considering it is because like I said my insurance covers it...and I just pay a very small percentage of it...so in the end I will not lose a whole lot of money if I gain it all back.

I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.

You do feel weak in the beginning, You must make small goals so you don't feel so discouraged. 100# is alot of weight to lose but it can be done "the hard way" You are strong you just need to find what suits you best :wink: I wish you luck no matter what you decide. I was 249 lbs and I am 5'4" It has been a very long journey to get where I am today, I weigh 195lbs, with a goal of 160 right now. It was very slow and difficult at first but it gets easier and you feel better and have such a great feeling of accomplishment! Anything worth doing is not usually easy but with the right mindset and tools you can accomplish your goals without the surgery. Pray about it before you make any decisions. Pray to make the right decision for you and pray for the willpower to succeed, pray for the patience to see your progress. Wishing you all the luck and praying for you! :happy:
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Did not read through all 6 pages of responses. I read an article a while back (can't remember where), it looked at patient's weight like 5 years out. They all lost a lot initially It was amazing how FEW kept it off. Also article talked about how the risks including fatalities are downplayed by the marketing.
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    your only 230, a 100 lbs isnt a lot of weight really if you look at the big picture, you have to prove you can loose weight without the surgery, which involves you having to lose like 25% of your body weight before hand, which would mean like 35 lbs, if you can push yourself to lose 35 lbs
    A.youll feel great.
    B. you will not be considered "super obese" anymore.
    I started at 238 three weeks ago, with hard work, and eating better I'm down to 222 I know its not easy for everyone, most people lose 1-2 lbs a week, but it CAN BE DONE.
    A friend of mine, and my insperation for my life change was 335 lbs, she never would have thought she could lose the weight without surgical intervention, and it dawned on her, watching biggest loser a little less than two years ago it CAN be done. She put down the cheese burger she was eating, and that was the moment her life changed, two years later, without a fitness trainer, or a gym membership, simply working out at home to jillian michales shes down 197 lbs. 22 lbs away from her goal weight. was it easy, no. its a LIFESTYLE change. But she did it, and so can I, and so can you, and so can EVERYONE.
    I had another friend who got lapband and lost 100 lbs in 7 months, she looks TERRIBLE, she was only 26 when she got it done, I dont know how old you are but at 26 her skin should still have elastisity- she may be lighter on the scale, but her belly skin hangs past her crotch, her boobs are down to her belly botton, you could paint the american flag on her arm flaps and people would start singing the national anthem. shes a great woman, beautiful on the inside, but her body is....its just terrible. I would rather be fat, super obese, dying, than have the hanging sagging wrinkled, often times infected from zipping her skin or pinching it, remains of what is left after that opperation. Where is friend A. who did it naturally has a abs I couldnt imagine her ever having in my wildest dreams at 34. consider your options, hopefully if you do look into this, and you decide to do it, upon losing that inital weight just to qualify, youll see it can be done and feel great. realistically at 5'2 even 180 lbs would make you look and feel stunning. GOOD LUCK
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 lbs twice and here I am working on the third time.
    I'm sorry to say that this surgery is no longer the answer.
    I'm not saying that nobody should get the surgery, just not most people.
    More then 50% of the people I know getting this surgery gain the weight back.

You can do this w/o the surgery. We are all here for you to take this journey together.