Anybody choose to NOT log any exercise?

Options
I find that when I exercise and track it I end up eating the extra calories it gives me. I set my goals as losing 1 pound per week because 2 pounds per week gave me a calorie goal that I did not feel was sustainable. But I actually do want to lose 2 pounds per week so I should avoid eating my exercise calories. I guess visually I feel better when I don't log my exercise. It allows me to really stick to what I'm supposed to eat in order to lose the 2 pounds per week. Anyone else feel the same way or have their own tricks for sticking to the goals?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    nope. mfp was set up for you to eat the calories you earn from exercise. i log it all so i can eat more and still lost my 2 lbs per week ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Like the previous poster, I'm happy to use MFP the way it was designed. I like adding in my exercise and seeing how my calories balance out.

But, if you've found a way that works for you, then go for it! The outcome is the same, in that you are eating more than the bare minimum of calories, it's just a different way of playing with the numbers.
  • psoshkin
    psoshkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I don't log n exercise because it always makes me want to eat more.....
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I log my hard jogs. I don't log random exercise, personal training sessions, or most walks. If I do, i eat too much.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I log planned exercise and walks (so walk to and from work and when I do the bar)

I don't log strength exercises or 'incedental' walks (like if I'm walking at the shops)

I can't afford the batteries for my HRM right now so I guesstimate a lot. I guesstimate very low.
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i dont.....i just dont because i am concerned about what if i am off on my calorie burning calculations?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP as set up. I eat between my BMR and TDEE to lose weight, and I don't log exercise or "eat back" the calories from exercise.

If I did it MFP's way, then I guess I would log it...but I don't trust HRMs or other ways to calculate it anyway, and I lose body fat and weight doing it the other way...so why change it? It's how people have lost weight for years and years before MFP was ever invented.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I usually try and do 15-30 minutes of yoga or pilates in the evening, but I don't normally log that. It's not really a significant enough amount of calories to make me feel it necessary. I also don't log calories from walking if I'm window shopping or something.

Usually I only log my cardio, and if I do weight training or pilates in place of weight training. Anything else is just bonus.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat back the calories that you burn. It adds it to your total for a reason. Eating back your exercise calories is the best way to be successful here, and not eating them back is a good way to fall victim to undereating if you have a low calorie goal.
  • kymdarnell
    Options
    i log my exercise because I love seeing how many cals i have burned and also for a 'just in case' - i can spoil myself cause if i do exercise my cals go up...i always try not to go over though.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat your exercise calories then don't track your exercises in MFP. Maybe use another app or a spreadsheet.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise but I am eating really close to maintenance on my non-exercise days (I think I'm within a hundred). I let my exercise create my deficit, and it's just easier to not see the # change. On days when I am super active I eat an additional 100-300 calories, depending on how hungry I am. I've been thinking about logging at the end of the day after finishing my diary just to see how I'm doing gauging the deficit, but so far haven't been bothered enough to do so.
  • lovefunmotion
    Options
    Yeah I don't log it either. I still eat my exercise calories, but I just don't feel like the burn they say is accurate. So I just adjusted my daily goal to add in the real amount I'm burning.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise calories and i eat them back as MFP has already calculated my deficit. I know my calories burn is accurate as i always use my HRM when i workout. It's working for me as you can see by my weight loss.
    Do what you feel comfortable with as everyone is different but most people start to eat back their calories when the weight loss starts to stall.
    Good luck.
  • dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know people who don't log their exercise calories, either they eat back too much, don't eat them at all or they are lazy. Lol I choose not to eat them as my body doesn't seem to need the extra fuel yet, and if I do eat them.. sadly I choose poorly. So I don't. I log it so when I go back and check out my progress I can see what I was doing, and why it did or didn't work. I generally lose the 2lbs per week when I don't eat them back. :happy: 6147579.png
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    nope. mfp was set up for you to eat the calories you earn from exercise. i log it all so i can eat more and still lost my 2 lbs per week ;)

Agreed!!! Of course if I'm not hungry I won't eat, but it's good to know you've got extra cals to work with!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I log calories exercise and I eat them. I'm a food lover and I really enjoy the extras!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
  • Ericgunner
    Options
    I log all my exercise calories but I hardly ever eat the extra calories. In my mind it defeats the object of all our hard work to exercise just to eat more food. As I am still in my weight loss mode, may be different when I maintaining my weight.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    oh! for me, i credit the "MFP way" as being the key to making me stick with the change/weight loss this time around. I've never made it much beyond a month of restriction/4-5lb loss before getting bored but logging exercise and eating back those cals both gave me a motivation to get out there most days and the flexibility to eat more/stuff i liked so i didn't feel deprived. 6 months and nearly to goal so something is working :)))

however, if you have a way that works for you and you are confident that you are fueling your body properly then go for it! i support all of the effort to get people to eat their exercise cals if they are on large deficits and without it are really not giving their bodies enough to operate on but it doesn't sound like you are one of those (promise you won't do that, right :) learning what works for you and how your body responds to the food and exercise you give it i think is the key to maintaining the loss long term.

and especially the answer that suggested that if you shouldn't use this site if you are not doing it the MFP way made me very sad. maybe he was just joking/ being sarcastic but it sounded very judgemental to me. i'd ignore him :)