Tattoo question

Options
jmruef
jmruef Posts: 824 Member
I've looked through past posts on this and haven't seen anything, so here goes:

Do y'all tip your tattoo artists? I'm planning my first tattoo and would really, REALLY hate to commit any breach in etiquette...

Replies

• Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I always do.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    absolutely I do!! usually about 20 - 25% depending on how long it took, my guy's a trooper and if he can go 5 hours without a break, I reward him!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Yes. I always have.
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    yes. tip accordingly to a job well done! and the price of the tattoo.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did...but I only have one tattoo, and I did it because I knew the artist personally and he gave me a discount cuz it was my birthday. I don't know if I would have tipped a stranger...I probably would. I guess. Not much help am I? lol
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I did, but I really liked my tattoo and wanted to show my appreciation. I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't loved it.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you plan on getting more I would! I usually give like $40 for 4 hours. I get a good deal though too! I go to the same guy each time too.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You must tip your tattoo artists, especially if they do not own the shop! I tip them based on how good they did and how much I love the tattoo. Maybe a good guideline to follow is around $10 per $100 you spend! Good luck on the tattoo.
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    ha, i've been inked 9 times and didn't know you should tip! oops!
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did too. I actually tipped around 40%. I felt bad for him because I was a wimp. I didn't cry, but the whole time I was making horrible faces and randomly going "owwww!" It was on my foot, what can I say? lol
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Always.. you should always, always, always tip your artist. For me, anything under $200 gets a $20 tip.. anything over is a $30-$40 tip depending on the hours it took to complete it. If it's something outrageous, like a 3+ session tattoo, I'll usually tip $50+
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would say tip, but it totally depends on your experience. I've been to some over priced artists and I tipped a little less.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    I have five tattoos, and l have always tipped. I had one that cost me 65 and I have him 85 for a job well done.. I go to the same guy he always cuts me a deal and I don't feel right so I tip heavy.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, always!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have 3 tattoos and I've tipped every artist. Usually it depends on how good of a job they did and how much the tattoo cost itself. I think it's just like any service you receive, it's just an extra way of saying "hey thanks, you did a great job".
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I always have. I have 3. I bought my tattoo guy lunch and gave him a tip with my last one...I loved it so much...:love:
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have always tipped mine. (I have 3) I treat it like I do a bill at a resturant and usually do between 20-25 percent. I did more on my last tattoo, but that was because I knew the artist personally, and she did an amazing job.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I always have!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Yes! I think I tipped about 20% on all 3 of mine.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Gotta say I never have. My friends mainly do mine though. The company that did my first two defo did not deserve the tip. I wasn't aware that you are supposed to tip them. Is that mainly an American thing?