CrossFit

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i went to a military college, so i think that this "do it or die trying" attitude isn't actually trying to promote anyone actually hurting or killing themselves. and i've puked after many a work out while at camp sunny merry time. its more of an attitude that drill instructors and some personal trainers use to get people motivated. so many people out there are afraid to leave their comfort zone, that they don't even try. they don't know how to push their limits. they stop themselves before they can even get to a limit.

inside of them their is the capacity to lift more, to run faster and further, to work out a little longer. but like i said, so many people never push themselves far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You can get people to push you to find your 2nd wind in many places other than Crossfit. And it's usually much less expensive.
  • engineman312
    Options
    You can get people to push you to find your 2nd wind in many places other than Crossfit. And it's usually much less expensive.

so it's the money that get you? you don't like having to pay to be yelled at? lol, cuz i did that for college. nothing like knowing that i paid for this DI to yell at me for the next four years.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

so it's the money that get you? you don't like having to pay to be yelled at? lol, cuz i did that for college. nothing like knowing that i paid for this DI to yell at me for the next four years.

^^ This...

My DS yelled for free... LOL
    It worked for me.
    Looking back... maybe I need to go back in.. I kind of miss that feeling of domestic violence meets personal trainer type of love.

Maybe I am just a masochist.
    :bigsmile:
  • snkeller24
    Options
    You don't have to pay to do crossfit ... yeah Rebook has come into the picture for the games as a sponsor and sell clothing/shoes/hats but that doesn't mean you have to purchase them. That'd be like saying I buy UA so right away I support University of Maryland ... except I'm a 'Heels' fan. You have to pay to go to the Y.

Yes if you want to join an affiliate, you pay a gym membership like you would do at the Y or Golds or Planet Fitness ... So they're all the same, a chain that has privately owned smaller gyms. I've never seen anything community related at Golds or LA Fitness when I belonged there. But since being at my box we've done 3 fundraisers for cancer and/or Wounded Warrior .... We don't have commercials or billboards, the sign on the outside of our box isn't super big or flashy. The advertisement is the people who belong, the word of mouth, the presence we have in the community running or supporting charities.

But this is getting old, because all you're doing is quoting the same thing over and over like a closed minded bigot. Go run on the treadmill and quit arguing with people in nonsensical circles.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is don't knock it until you try it...and at my box you have to pass a 2-4 week "basics" class based on your own abilities before you can participate in the actual WOD. Any box where you can just go in and do whatever you want is a bad box. People only get injured because they try more than they can handle. If you find a good trainer, you'll love it.

35 years old and in the best shape of my life, hands down, because of Crossfit.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    All I have to say is don't knock it until you try it...and at my box you have to pass a 2-4 week "basics" class based on your own abilities before you can participate in the actual WOD. Any box where you can just go in and do whatever you want is a bad box. People only get injured because they try more than they can handle. If you find a good trainer, you'll love it.

If you had a good personal trainer or a good class that was not Crossfit, I am sure you would be in just as good of shape as you are with Crossfit. Crossfit has no "magic system" It's just one system, and there are many others that would have given you equal or better results.

That's one reason I don't like Crossfit. So many people that do it are convinced by their coaches or the elite Crossfitters that it is so much better than anything else when that is not at all the case.

And from what I've heard, for every Crossfit gym that is run in a safe responsible way, there are many more where people are getting injured on a regular basis because of the "do it or die trying" mentality the coaches project.

No thanks, I don't want your Crossfit Kool Aid, even if you gave me a lifetime membership for free.
  • engineman312
    Options

If you had a good personal trainer or a good class that was not Crossfit, I am sure you would be in just as good of shape as you are with Crossfit. Crossfit has no "magic system" It's just one system, and there are many others that would have given you equal or better results.

That's one reason I don't like Crossfit. So many people that do it are convinced by their coaches or the elite Crossfitters that it is so much better than anything else when that is not at all the case.

And from what I've heard, for every Crossfit gym that is run in a safe responsible way, there are many more where people are getting injured on a regular basis because of the "do it or die trying" mentality the coaches project.

No thanks, I don't want your Crossfit Kool Aid, even if you gave me a lifetime membership for free.

this is no different then someone that says "you know what works? running/rowing/swimming/cycling. its the best exercise." people are talking about their experiences, and if the poster wants to say that she's in the best shape of her life due to crossfit, whats the big deal? so many people try so many different things, and it takes a while to find what works.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Because she is not in the best shape of her life due to Crossfit. It's because of her own effort and motivation! She could have taken that same effort and motivation to a personal trainer, boot camp class, or any number of other places and also been in the best shape of her life.

I do quite a few different things. I run, I life weights, I swim, I dance, and when there's snow on the ground, I snow shoe. But I don't give any one of those activities or the people that teach them credit for making me in the best shape of my life. I just decided that I wanted to be in better shape, and took that motivation to whatever activity I decided to get involved with.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I had just signed up for a free trial at our local Crossfit gym here. I really love lifting weights & to keep challenging my body.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Crossfit works for her, giving her the results she wanted ... there for she is in the best shape of her life because of crossfit. If i lived somewhere with sweet *kitten* slopes, I'd be in the best shape of my life because I'd spend it snowboarding.

So you're saying running works for you, crossfit works for her. No one is here bashing running, swimming, or lifting. You're lashing out at one method of exercise for no reason. People are adults, can make the choices, can do their research, and base their opinions on personal experience. Until you've completed the checklist your opinion doesn't hold a lot of credit. As the saying goes ...

Everything you've stated has been thanks to google or something you "heard"; not something you PERSONALLY know or experienced. I do not care for running, but I don't go talk a bunch of **** on the running boards, stating random facts or articles I found on google and yahoo. And I've personally run, a lot. I know the risks, injuries, preventive maintenance, equipment to use, and form to perfect. I also don't care for Ohio State football, but again, I'm not going to go out and bash them with out understanding or being apart of their program. Guess some people are just more open minded then others.

I'm going to go shave the calluses on my hand, want to help?
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I had just signed up for a free trial at our local Crossfit gym here. I really love lifting weights & to keep challenging my body.

Crossfit has a lot of unusual lifts most people don't do that can be very dangerous unless you have perfect form and a good spotter.

Just be careful and don't drink the Crossfit Kool Aid. They are just offering you the free sample to get you addicted!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I tried it; it wasn't for me. I don't dig the supercompetitive culture that surrounds it and the system calls for way more intensity than I care/need to expend to get where I want to be.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    I tried it; it wasn't for me. I don't dig the supercompetitive culture that surrounds it and the system calls for way more intensity than I care/need to expend to get where I want to be.

Glad you tried it and could form an honest opinion. Thank you!
  • snkeller24
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/552008-dangers-with-zumba/

oooh no!!! NOT ZUMBA!!

Is crossfit koolaid found in the same bottle of Power's Whiskey?
  • Health_Gal
    Options

That's how I feel about it too. When I hear enough negative things about something from people whose opinions I respect, I don't feel that I have to spend my time and money just to "prove" it doesn't work for me either.

The Crossfit culture is too super competitive and cultish for my liking too.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options

That's how I feel about it too. When I hear enough negative things about something from people whose opinions I respect, I don't feel that I have to spend my time and money just to "prove" it doesn't work for me either.

The Crossfit culture is too super competitive and cultish for my liking too.
    That's fine. It wasn't for you. End of story. I don't care for boxing either, but I don't see any point in spending my time and energy reciting quotes and internet sites to people who like boxing. For something that you don't care for, you sure have put a lot of energy into thinking and posting about it.

Side note -- what's up with the YMCA? The OP did not mention them at all, so why do we keep coming back to this particular organization? The fact that people on this site are participating in any variety of gyms/workouts/classes/etc. is fantastic! Let's lose some of the negativity around here, wow.

Edited to add: I am interested in hearing from other people who DO enjoy their Crossfit experiences. It's something I have looked into every now and then but have not yet seriously considered. Anyone else's thoughts?
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I thank you for your concern and I do in fact have excellent health insurance, thanks for caring! I also have an extensive background in physical therapy and I have an extremely knowledgeable (he has a degree in Exercise Science & Wellness) box owner/trainer who is adamant about proper technique & avoidance of injury. CrossFit also STRONGLY encourages modification & substitutions whenever necessary. Just because there are some negative examples/outcomes, doesn't mean that it applies to everyone. If you don't like or agree with it, just don't do it... Simple. Good luck with your endeavors in whatever sport or activity you so choose.

I've heard that there is a wide range of competencies between different CrossFit owners/trainers. Can you comment? I want to try it out but need to make sure I am working with a knowlegable trainer that can work with me so I get strong and not damaged. Any advice? I live in Georgia and there is a box within walking distance of my home.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    I've been crossfitting/WODing since July - I originally supplemented it with lifting and my half marathon training, but I pretty much switched completely to crossfitting 5-6 days a week.

A typical day at the box is spent warming up, stretching mobility (whole body and area specific to the work out or whatever is tight), then we do a skill (this can be before or after the WOD) sometimes it's the skill used in the WOD sometimes it's related. The WOD is gone over, exercises involved are explained, demonstrated, and the coach checks to make sure you're doing it correctly. 3.2.1...go. After the WOD you can take some time to work on other skills, stretch out, roll out, and clean up.

Almost all boxes require you to go through beginner classes, learning form, technique, and general understanding. It took me 8 classes to complete my skill check sheet.

Like anything you do, there are risks, but it's scalable. I have a bad shoulder from swimming, so some things for me are scaled back, either in movement or weight. If you like a sense of community, knowing the people you work out with, and sense of belonging you may enjoy crossfit.

I played sports, both on as a team and individual, I do best when I'm being "coached" and pushed to dig a little deeper.

Keep in mind your beginner classes will be a little different but you're still being coached and digging. Keep conscious of your form and movement because as you fatigue and get sloppy you open yourself up to being sore or getting injured, same as with lifting or any other activity.

As far as credentials, my coaches have gone through courses, achieved certifications, degrees, etc ... we have 4 full time coaches who know each of us personally. Most boxes have a website that has an outline of the coaching staff and what they bring to the table. Through CrossFit HQ they offer classes; my coaches also took courses through olympic lifting coaches.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I thank you for your concern and I do in fact have excellent health insurance, thanks for caring! I also have an extensive background in physical therapy and I have an extremely knowledgeable (he has a degree in Exercise Science & Wellness) box owner/trainer who is adamant about proper technique & avoidance of injury. CrossFit also STRONGLY encourages modification & substitutions whenever necessary. Just because there are some negative examples/outcomes, doesn't mean that it applies to everyone. If you don't like or agree with it, just don't do it... Simple. Good luck with your endeavors in whatever sport or activity you so choose.

I've heard that there is a wide range of competencies between different CrossFit owners/trainers. Can you comment? I want to try it out but need to make sure I am working with a knowlegable trainer that can work with me so I get strong and not damaged. Any advice? I live in Georgia and there is a box within walking distance of my home.

Have you checked out the local YMCAs? They usually have personal trainers at a much more reasonable rate than most places. Many also have boot camp classes when you would get a lot of variety of exercise routines at a reasonable price, not highway robbery like Crossfit. Wherever you decide to go, I would suggest you make sure that the trainer/coach is not only knowledgeable and knows their stuff, but is someone you feel you feel comfortable with as a person and can work well with.