Parent Bashing this week

Options

Replies

• madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a mobidly obese 15 year old son. I know he is fat, he knows he is fat, and he claims he is happy and comfortable in his own skin. I have tried to explain to him the health risks of being obese. He does not care. I don't buy a lot of snacks like chips and candy and cakes and cookies ( Notice they all start with "C") . I buy healthy snacks fruits veggies I allow popcorn. But when he sits down and eats a half of box of cereal at one time what am I to do? I can't be a food Nazi all the time. If I buy cheese, he will eat almost the entire package at once. It is a losing battle!!! I just wanted to share!

Merry Christmas!!!

He is at the age where he is like the rest of us: he'll conquor it when/if he's ready. All you can do is what you are doing - not supporting his bad habits and letting him know that you love him no matter what.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think what confuses me is the fact that the people debating with each other about other people children "poor" eating habits more than likely have had the same issue themselves once in their lives. And instead of being constructive about it, they are arguing. If they are arguing with people on an online forum, I can't imagine what other angry morals they are teaching their children. I'm not saying everyone as to act like a perfect little angel around kids, but at least calm the eff down so their kids aren't as obnoxious.

Lively debate =/= being angry :laugh: But I agree... we're all on here because we want to change some aspect of our lives regarding diet and exercise. Juding others for habits most of us have once had is silly and hypocritical.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    i hate it when people try and preach to me, it just makes me want to do the 'naughty' things all the more!!

I have 2 kids, both offered exactly the same food from the moment they were weaned, yet while my son will eat everything that is good for him and more besides, since hitting 2, my daughter will not let a vegetable pass her lips, and after trying to disguise them in various forms she started to refuse even more foods so it got to the point where I thought 'what the hell, if she'll eat it she can have it as I was so worried about her stomach shrinking and appetite reducing further from lack of food. She does eat a good amount of fruit , and is offered veg all the time, but short of holding her down and force feeding her, we can't get in in her unless its on a pizza so please don't judge me if you see us tucking into pizza hut!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    LOL this makes me laugh
    My kids eat pop tarts and fruit roll ups and lunchables and we made christmas cookies
    they also eat brocolli will eat all of my carrots and love corn and peas
    Balance is the key to all things and really whose people need to get a life.
    OH and BTW my kids are on the super skinny side for their age groups they play and run and OMG they eat candy and cookies. Im such a bad parent lol:drinker:

You and I can share a cell once I'm done making fudge with my kids and all the sugared pecans have been packaged up as gifts (well, except for OUR share!).

OP, I agree with you. There are certainly things I see and hear that make me bite my tongue (several from my own husband) but I don't judge anybody else or their kids looks. Now, behavior.....
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I think what confuses me is the fact that the people debating with each other about other people children "poor" eating habits more than likely have had the same issue themselves once in their lives. And instead of being constructive about it, they are arguing. If they are arguing with people on an online forum, I can't imagine what other angry morals they are teaching their children. I'm not saying everyone as to act like a perfect little angel around kids, but at least calm the eff down so their kids aren't as obnoxious.

Lively debate =/= being angry :laugh: But I agree... we're all on here because we want to change some aspect of our lives regarding diet and exercise. Juding others for habits most of us have once had is silly and hypocritical.

Exactly...it's like I'll call you fat but don't you dare call me fat!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    i hate it when people try and preach to me, it just makes me want to do the 'naughty' things all the more!!

I have 2 kids, both offered exactly the same food from the moment they were weaned, yet while my son will eat everything that is good for him and more besides, since hitting 2, my daughter will not let a vegetable pass her lips, and after trying to disguise them in various forms she started to refuse even more foods so it got to the point where I thought 'what the hell, if she'll eat it she can have it as I was so worried about her stomach shrinking and appetite reducing further from lack of food. She does eat a good amount of fruit , and is offered veg all the time, but short of holding her down and force feeding her, we can't get in in her unless its on a pizza so please don't judge me if you see us tucking into pizza hut!

I have the same issue with my two kids. One will eat anything and everything, one won't eat at all. You do what you gotta.
  • CharityEaton
    Options

Oh mu gosh...my daughter is the same way! As a toddler she ATE everything! Now she won't touch anything! She is old enough that we can now place the proper foods on her plate and if she refuses to eat she goes without.....usually she eats something but there have been a few times she has been stubborn enough to go without. She is mighty hungry in themorning and usually dissappointed to discover that it is oatmeal day not poptart day!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    LOL this makes me laugh
    My kids eat pop tarts and fruit roll ups and lunchables and we made christmas cookies
    they also eat brocolli will eat all of my carrots and love corn and peas
    Balance is the key to all things and really whose people need to get a life.
    OH and BTW my kids are on the super skinny side for their age groups they play and run and OMG they eat candy and cookies. Im such a bad parent lol:drinker:

You and I can share a cell once I'm done making fudge with my kids and all the sugared pecans have been packaged up as gifts (well, except for OUR share!).

OP, I agree with you. There are certainly things I see and hear that make me bite my tongue (several from my own husband) but I don't judge anybody else or their kids looks. Now, behavior.....

Behavior is an entirely different topic! I HAVE said somethingto someone elses kid in public before but only because they wre dirupting MY dinnr out with my family and distracting my kids! My kids have also said things to other kids while in public...just a simple, " I don't think you should do that." and they walked away from the other kids. With behavior you can see the entire situation from start to finish though and there is usually a direct cause and effect in play so I think you CAN say something in that instance. Don't get me wrong...my kids have been the naughty ones before too and I was so embarrassed that we left!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Oh believe me, with two boys with ADHD I have been embarrassed MANY times! Luckily, they have survived to teen hood and are actually pretty good kids (in front of other people at least)!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I was so idealistic before the kids actually arrived. They are 13 and 9, and wow am I humbled.

It was such a reality check when I realized I was watching my child eat cheerios off the airplane floor and was glad she was eating something. I think I brought those cheerios with us, but its sort of fuzzy (the memory, and probably the cheerios too). I really wanted to sock my neighbor who asked if I was making babyfood from scratch.

I think role modeling eating healthy food and exercising is a gift to give to kids. Wrestling candy out of their hands will probably create some issues. Honestly, I don't want more battles with my kids, I want fewer. But I do the grocery shopping, so what's in the house is up to me!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    So its offical I've put my sarcastic cap on.

These other posts dont stand a chance

mwhahahaha
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I feed my kids french fries.

Am I going to jail?

Noooooo

They'll flogg you and bash you on MFP first

But that's for a first offense. Just make sure you don't do it again or you will go to jail :)
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

That sounds like my kids exactly, my youngest will eat anything and everything but my oldest is extremely picky and both have always been fed the same things from birth and the one who is the pickiest and loves anything "junk" related is actually smaller than the one who eats any healthy food i place in front of her, after talking with her doctor he said let her eat what she wants, she is underweight(but tall) for her age and eventually she will start trying other foods.

Personally in my family i was over weight and my brother was way skinny he still has a hard time gaining weight and we grew up eating all the same foods, and to be honest he ate way more junk food than me so why was i fat and he was skinny? I can remember my mom always judging peoples size when i was younger(before i started gaining weight) because she was super skinny, and once i started gaining weight i always felt so bad about my self because i could just hear all the things my mom used to say about other people and i got to the point where i didn't even want to go out to eat with my family and i would refuse to eat at school because i felt like people were looking at me thinking " does she really need to be eating that, why is she eating that or i can't believe she is eating" now i am not blaming my mom i am sure she had no idea how the things she said about others affected the way i looked at myself but judging others without even knowing whats going on with them just makes people feel bad about themselves. I have no idea why i gained so much weight and my brother never did and he ate 3x as much as i did but it happened. My mom weighed 95lbs. when she met my dad(21yrs) and the most she ever weighed was 150 and that was when she gave birth and when she was about 34 she started having problems with her thyroid and gained so much weight all at once and she is 47 now and still struggles with trying to get the weight off and even with medication she still has hard time so you can't just judge someone by what you see at 1st there may be more to their story than you know.
  • irish205
    Options
    There are far more important parenting issues to be dealt with...my twelve year old son is very athletic, unfortunately he shows his eight year old sister very little respect. I haven't been able to get through to him that being responsible for your actions and respectful to other people are two key aspects of life. If I was forced to choose, I'd happily take a good-natured, chubby kid in trade.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found this:
    http://www.choicesmagazine.org/2004-3/obesity/2004-3-02.htm

And posted it in the "parent bashing" thread because it made some good points about the actual causes of obesity in the world found through several peer reviewed studies which h are cited within the article. I was pretty upset by all the things being said in that post as well as others about parents and what they are doing with their kids. It seems like a large portion of people have a particular ax to grind and don't care much who they hurt while swinging it around. Some of the things said were just plain wrong and many people stated things as fact without showing proof of their statements and then proceeded to continue on to bashing the parents without any proof that the parents were at fault.
    Yes it takes a village but the implication in that statement, for those who have never lived in a small village, is that you don't get to judge other people without being very involved with their lives. Find out their problems and help them through brotherly love to work towards a solution. Not hit and run sniping on an internet forum. Instead of just acting like you care actually take some time to help be part of the solution and stop being so judgmental.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My picky daughter is also petite and very slim and will probably be like that most of her life as she seems to be taking after her daddy who, until he went on a health kick last year only had a bmi of 18 and weighed less than 126lbs!!! While I have never been technically overweight myself, I have had problems with medication causing an increased appetite and weight gain and it's only because I realised the problem early on I was lucky enough to nip it in the bud and try some different meds but to the outsider looking in they would have just thought I was greedy!!!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Agree with what you're saying but can't blame them for being judgemental...

children should not be fat let alone overweight... the occasional treat doesn't result in a kid being overweight, constant over indulging, and/or portion size does. FACT.

You are their guardian and should protect them from this... and be encouraging a healthy lifestyle.

There's a reason you make all the other big decisions for them like what clothes they wear, when they go to the docs, what they can and can't have for Christmas.

My parents did a fine job of this. I was never ONCE taken to macdonalds, yet never once was bothered by this. I was forced to eat ONCE every 2 weeks, smoked mackerel and I had a tantrum about it every single time, but they were doing it for my health and the rest of the time, the food was good scrummy home cooked stuff in child sized portions, like pasta, fish (fish fingers when little) and chips, sausages and mash, choc ice on a friday, chicken drumsticks and tuna sandwiches for travelling with a bag of crisps and a penguin or kitkat bar in exchange for fruit peelings/apple core. We had diet coke and pop and stuff too. Never deprived, everything controlled but also we were taken out a lot on weekends for long walks. You;re not there to be a childs friend or favourite person, you're there to nurture and look after them and keep them safe, and with that, healthy. So I do get waht these childless commentors are on about from a human perspective.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the odd treat, but when I see babies with chocolate milk and pop in their bottles and little kids that are so over weight that they can't run and play it makes me FURIOUS. Parents who continuously either over-feed their kids or feed them garbage day in and day out are committing child abuse. There should be a system in place to provide these parents with nutritional councilling and ensure that these kids are being followed by a doctor. This is not fair to the children who will face a lifetime of health problems and weight issues. If you are morbidly obese before you are old enough to buy your first cart of groceries, then I think it is fair to blame your parents.

I don't get how people can dismiss an obesity epidemic, where children will die at a younger age then their parents, where children are being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and high cholestrol. This isn't about a Friday night treat out at a fast food joint, this is about ruining the health of the future generation. We should be mad, we should judge, we should DO something about it (this does not mean yelling at parents in McD's).

For the record, I am a mom. As parents we have made a very conscious effort about what we give our daughter to eat and drink. This does not mean that she never gets junk food, but it does mean that she does not get a daily diet of "Kid" food. People need to learn to feed their kids whole healthy foods and not fall into the trap of jarred baby food, chicken fingers, hot dogs, french fries, kraft dinner, juice, "fruit" snacks, granola bars, sugar cereal, pudding and pizza. And don't say "That is all my kid will eat". Well then stop buying it and stop serving it and they'll learn to eat Real food.
  • taramaureen
    Options

children should not be fat let alone overweight... the occasional treat doesn't result in a kid being overweight, constant over indulging, and/or portion size does. FACT.

Well, crap, my daughter's "fat". Has been since she was 3 months old. Damn that breastmilk.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

If i knew how to post pictures on here I would My daughter was 11lbs at birth.

talk about chubby.

She had rolls going all the up and down her body.

And now at 4 she is deff not SKINNY. But she is healthy. Runs around, eats Healthy, etc etc

So because she is not skinny does that make her fat?? She often gets mistaken for being older because she is so tall.

Should I be Shunned because my daughter isnt what YOU think is perfect??

Because at the age of 4 she weighs 42lbs(I only know this because she and I weigh ourselves together)

Hurry someone call the police!!!!!