40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to take some time and wish you all a very merry Christmas! You all have been such an inspiration to me and I appreciate every single one of you!

Yesterday I spent the day with my daughter celebrating Christmas a little early sense both her and her dad have to work Christmas day. We had a lovely breakfast and opened up gifts then I went with her to finish up her last minute shopping.

Today I am going to my sister in laws house for Christmas eve dinner.

And tomorrow I am having a few family members over for dinner.

Busy... Busy.... Busy....
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas!

Welcome to all the new comers! Don't be shy, post something! lol

I was going to post yesterday after I did my cardio...but I never did the cardio, lol. So, decided I'll post today and do the cardio later. Maybe that will work...

The question is, 3 mile pavement run or 8 mile skate? Have a 5K race in a couple weeks, so should probably run. We'll see, but I'm determined to do one or the other today.

*alf: Glad you liked the book! I'm excited for you! The date went well for a first date. She has a motorcycle too, and we made a date to go riding in a couple weeks. We'll see what happens :)

*Robin: Most people don't see much, if any change, in the first 30 days P90X. By day 60 there is usually a noticeable difference. But the biggest change happens between Day 60 and Day 90. That's how it worked for me as well.

*sdereski: I'm thinking of getting some compression tights as well. It does get into the 40's sometimes in Jan & Feb. Hard to believe at the moment, with a high of 82F forecasted for today :D

*tron: Your poor son, all this happening during the holidays too! I had chicken pox in 2nd grade, started the first day of Christmas break and I was all better by the time school started again, lol. Talk about bad timing for a kid. Hope he is recovering well from the measles!
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    double post
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello and Merry Christmas 40+

Glad to have found this thread. Joined MFP in mid-December and have really enjoyed it. My goal weight is 125-130, I am currently 154. I do well with my cardio, running or EFX 5-6 times a week. Really need to add more strength training in my routine.

Hope everyone has a great day. I plan to try to get 10000 steps in on the EFX in a little bit.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone! I would love to join you. I am a 40 yr old single mother of 3, trying to get healthy. I overlooked myself for years, while focused on the kids. What a BIG mistake! Well, now the kids are older and needing me a lot less and I don't like what I have become. I want to lose weight, but most importantly, I want to be healthy.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY!!!!

Tron, have a great time with family!

Chris, 82 degrees nice!!! kinda cold here in SA but at least the sun came out and it stopped raining. Glad your date went well.

st1984, welcome!!! I was about that same weight when I started here back in 08. I am now between 124-128, probably a little more now. LOL Strength trng is very important especially at our age (I am 48) and of course eating clean as much as possible.

Stefanie, welcome!!! It is great that you are now focused on yourself! You can do it!!!!!! What is your plan? We can help!

Hugs!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas my friends!!!
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Pavement Run: 5K (3.11 miles) in 27m22s.
    Split times: 1st mile 8m53s, 2nd mile 9m0s, 3rd mile 8m26s, last 0.11 miles 1m3s
    Pretty happy with that :)
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My name is Kim and I am 48. I have decided to start on a journey to lose weight and become healthier.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My name is Kim and I am 48. I have decided to start on a journey to lose weight and become healthier.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Ray, I'm 42 and addicted to fitness !!! :wink:
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas!!!!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hello friends, and WELCOME, WELCOME to the newcomers! You have found the right thread if you are wanting inspiration - there are some amazing folks on here.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.:flowerforyou:

My goal was to do a min of 30min of exercise every day throughout the holidays and so far I've done at least that. After taking a week off from my p90X workouts, started back up today. Ouch - was a tough one. Felt good to be back at it again.

Chris - awesome run!!! Your last mile was your fastest - that is what you want to strive for in your race. Very good sir.:happy:
    Glad to hear the date was a success as well. You said this was a first date - guess things didn't work out with the other gal. Think I may have missed that. :tongue:

tron - hope all went well yesterday. Is your son feeling any better? Poor guy.

Alf - I would have never guessed you started at 154 when you first started MFP - guess there is still hope for me. :wink: That is where I hover, but would love to get to 140. Any thinner and I start to look sick. You're energy bounces off the computer screen - you must have always been "fit".:smile:

Was so tired coming into the holidays, but have been sleeping about 10 hrs/night the past few nights. I finally feel "normal" again. Guess I needed to catch up after burning the midnight oil the week before. I have one more day off to relax, then it's back to work for a short, quiet week. :happy:

Hope you are all enjoying some R&R as well. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello newcomers!!! Welcome!!! :drinker:

I couldnt wait until next week to start on the New rules of lifting for women program so I started this morning!!! It was a great workout. I just thought I could have pushed myself harder but I really dont like to overdo it especially starting up. Since I have never worked out with a partner I have always been very cautious about lifting very heavy weights. That might be getting in the way of seeing better results but then again I am not training for the Olympics. LOL :laugh: We will see what happens. As far as the diet component of the program I will fully start next week but have started reducing some of the overeating I have been doing lately. That is the toughest part for me. :noway:

:flowerforyou:
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Stefanie, welcome!!! It is great that you are now focused on yourself! You can do it!!!!!! What is your plan? We can help!

Hugs!!!! :flowerforyou:

I am eating healthier, more fresh fruits. I've always been good with veggies, but not so much w/ fruit. I am moving more, getting off the couch and away from the computer. I want to start running, but I am hesitant because I have a bad back and arthritis in my knee. Every exercise I try aggrivates something, but I am tired of making excuses. So I have started walking, to ease into it!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Wow so many newcomers!!! Welcome, welcome. We are in Hilton Head for the week. I made it through chirstmas without my Dad. I think I did pretty good.

I missed you guys;>

Going to run tomorrow in the street. Nice and flat here. Going to pace myself early in so I can have a good run. I may even hit the beach before I leave. It is 65 here and since I left 32degrees; this is very warm. My mom has the heat at 80 though...lol....Needless to say we are dying....

Ready to have a great year in 2012....

Hugs----Kim
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A little more about myself. I started taking my health seriously a few months ago pretty much for the first time since high school. I am 5'7" and in high school was an athletic 165. By the time I graduated college I was 185 and the pounds creeped on over the years. I got as high as 225 at times, but then would eat better for a while and usually hover around 210-215. I never got any regular exercise. I would go for a walk or hike once in a while and think I was doing ok. At my 40 year old physical my physician challenged me to start getting some regular exercise so I bought an exercise bike. I started using it regularly and after a few weeks decided to try running and joined a gym. Once I started running I also started tracking what I ate. At first I was just using a text file, but then found this site. I am running 3-4 days a week now and riding the stationary bike on the off days (save one day a week I am taking off entirely). I'm trying to start working in some strength training as well, but I've been much less consistent with that. I'm doing my first 5K on January 14th, and I ran 5 miles for the first time today. I'm down to 190 now, and my current goal is to get to 170 and see where things go from there.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ID40 welcome, and congrats on your transformation! It looks like you have become a new person in such a short period of time. It's amazing when it just clicks, and you realize how important exercise is. I still can't believe I didn't place importance on it just 2 years ago....never again!

Alf, that's great you are starting the new program! Keep us posted on how it is going. I have heard so much about that over the last few months and am intrigued.

Starting my P90x "Recovery Week" today---so it's all about stretching and yoga....not exactly thrilled about it, but I'm sure it's worthwhile, as the book says, to give the muscles a rest. I need to get my diet in line as well--unfortunately I wasn't so great w/holiday eating--but now that my calorie burn will be minimal this week, I have to be more on-the-ball about it.

Chris--thanks for noting the "norm" about most people not seeing much in Phase 1 of P90x...good to know! I haven't had the time to research anything on their website since starting. Again, I do love what I'm learning and the videos themselves, but just am a little frustrated that I'm not very strong yet to maximize that pull-ups and such, and it doesn't include as much cardio as I typically do, so do not feel like I'm exercising or burning as much as usual, even though I know what I'm doing is worthwhile...it'll just take time to see it.......

Well, hope everyone had a great holiday and is finding their way back to routine. take care! Robin.
  • alf1163
    Options
    HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Completed my second workout of NRL this morning. The first exercise was the deadlift. Not really sure if I am doing it right cause it is the deadlift that is like a squat and I am not using a barbell. I am used to the deadlift with the straight legs. Some of the exercise are done with barbells and I dont own one so I am using dumbbells instead. I am teaching Zumba tonight!! I am also at work right now and will also work tomorrow. Off on Fri!! From work that is, have tons of things to do in the house and Zumba related. So I guess never off completely... :grumble: :noway:

sdereski, oh yes!!!! I have always been very active, all my life. But I was one of those people who thought that as long as I exercise I can eat all that I want. Well, that might work when you are younger than 40 but after!!!!! :grumble: :noway: So slowly but surely the weight started creeping up on me until I realized I had to make some changes, mostly in my diet. Joining MFP also motivated me to try other things such as running half marathons, P90X, etc. I was in my best shape in 09 because of that but I might have also done too much because I also got injured and found out my hips are in pretty bad shape, cartilage damage, labral tear, etc. I also have arthritis in my knees, hips, most joints...but that comes with age and also years of being so physically active. But I dont let any of that stuff stop me from doing what I love. I just need to modify some exercises and do the best I can with what I got. I also know the importance of following a good diet of clean eating. Unfortunately it is not so easy for me to give up the Holiday eating so I truly feel and see that I have gained a few pounds which is not surprising to me. So, back on it again starting Sunday!!!!! I've actually started today... Great job on keeping up with your fitness goals during the Holidays!!!! :drinker: I know it can be tough!!

Stefanie, slowly is better!!! :drinker: And you dont have to run to get good results. You can increase intensity with a walking program. You can increase speed and also distance, one at a time, and make it a more challenging program. But work up to it slowly. Consistency is the key!!! :flowerforyou:

LadyPersia, have a great time in Hilton Head!!!! :flowerforyou:

Id40, good for you!!! You've done a terrific job!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I love running but cannot do it anymore. My hips are in pretty bad shape and dont want to aggravate the issue. In 09, I did several 5ks, 10ks, a 10 miler and 2 half marathons. I just loved racing. I miss it! :sad: 5ks are a great start if you want to pursue running longer distances. And if you can perhaps start lifting at least twice a week. They can be short workouts of no more than 30 mins. You will see amazing results especially since you are a man. Chris (hewhois) can attest more to that.

Robin, good to hear from you!!! :drinker: You can still do extra cardio while doing P90X, most people do it. Just make sure you are eating enough. I hear you regarding the pull ups. I completed the program and still cannot do one pull up. There will be some pull ups in this program I am doing now and I am determined to do at least 1!!!! LOL :laugh: :laugh: Well, my plan is to ask the trainers that work at the gym where I teach Zumba to help me with that goal. :happy: But that doesnt come until stage 6 or so and I just started stage 1.

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • richwhite007
    Options
    HELLO 42 year old father of 3 here ... A brief history - I was always very athletic and ran track and field in college, then life happened and started REALLY slacking (for a good 10 years (O_o)) ... for the past 3-4 years have really been getting back into shape & taking my fitness serious AND feel fantastic ! .... my primary cardio work comes from flights of stairs I run at our local university stadium (in the 280-320 flights a week range) .... this year (2012) I really want to spend as much time on my upper body to even things out !