Question for all of you major water drinkers...

Options
1235»

Replies

• jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a 20oz water bottle that I fill up at least 10 times a day (that's equal to 25 8 oz glasses) I usually drink 2 bottles when working out and then through the day I get thirsty a lot. I used to drink nothing but diet pepsi and I would drink a 12 pk a day, so I guess I'm just a very thirsty person. =)

*also as I just seen someone else write this, I drink room temperature water instead of cold water and I notice I drink a lot more water that way.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with water for a while. I now carry a 20 oz bottle and force myself to drink at least four a day. It was hard for a day or two, but now if I don't get my 100 oz, I feel dehydrated and thirsty. The only other thing I drink is 12 oz of coffee in the morning with milk. I feel much better with all the hydration going on!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I only drink water, and I drink a lot. I have a 32oz bpa free water bottle and I carry it with me everywhere. It has a straw in it and I find if I suck water out I tend to drink more (weird, I know). I drink at least 40oz with one workout (I workout first thing in the morning before work) then 1.5 or 2 bottles worth during the day and at least 1 bottles worth after work and before I go to bed.

Sounds like you are drinking enough though, so don't worry.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i have a gigantic brita pitcher beside me so i just automatically pour into my cup when it's almost empty. i go through about 4 pitchers a day if i'm just sitting at a table, so it's not very hard for me to go crazy with the water. people say you're good if your urine is almost clear, it means the toxins have been flushed out for the moment!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    personally i fill up a bottle of water from my 3 year olds juice when hes finished with it. its 64 ounces. i fill it up to the top and just drink a bunch usually through my zumba. just take some drinks throughout the day and itll be no problem.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the idea that we need just about a half-ounce of water per pound of body weight (1 ounce per kilo, but that gets messy, too)...

I carry my water with me, in 1 quart bottles. I take two with me to work, and then have the third in the evening at home.

Water is important.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    here is some help for anyone who wants expert advice on this matter
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
    answer the 8 questions to the best of your knowledge
  • tonybdavies
    Options
    I have water for my breakfast. Up to 32 oz / 1 litre. I can feel the water hydrating my body. It feels great. I'll postpone food intake until the water has hydrated me fully.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    In my household, everyone pretty much has their own favorite water bottle which is repeatedly filled throughout the day. Personally, I have this bottle that I'd recycled from some weird-yet-tasty Japanese veggie juice that I'd purchased during the summer. I'd always logged it in as 2 glasses for each bottle, but just the other day when I received a brand new measuring cup as a gift, I'd decided to test it to see if I were accurate.

I THOUGHT each bottle was worth 2 cups at most.. what I measured up was in fact.. 4 cups... almost 4 and 1/4th..Apparently I'd been taking in about 16 cups a day.. which sounds weird, but I get thirsty really quick---especially at night.As soon as I wake in the morning, I'd have a bottleful .. and then another at the gym.. maybe even one more, depending on how strenuous the workout is. Finally, there's one when I get home.. and depending on how late I go to bed, I'll have one more.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 Oz bottle. I try to drink 3 at work and then I may have a couple of glasses after work.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    Where I work, we cannot drink anything but water at our desks, which is nice. I grab 2 20 oz. cups of water in the morning. then have 8 oz with lunch, then 2 20 oz. cups after lunch, and 1-2 20 oz. cups in the afternoon. Then I have at least 16 oz more when I get home. (Total = 124-144 oz a day). The more I drink, the better I feel. I would go by that... how you feel. Sometimes on weekends, if I only have 8 8 oz glasses, I feel like junk. But if you feel good, go with it.
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    I am on a medication that makes my mouth perpetually dry, so I tend to drink a LOT of water anyway or else it feels like my tongue is gonna crack.

^^^this. I drink a minimum of 8-9 glasses of water. I don't count it by 8 ounces. Most of my glasses are 12-16 ounce glasses, when I drink a glass I count it as one water. In reality the 8-9 I usually log is most likely double that and I have to drink it. My medicine makes my mouth feel like the desert. Even as I sit here knowing I drank at the every least 10, 8 ounce cups of water...I feel thirsty. I could probably go drink another couple of cups.

It's more about what your body needs. I think I say this on here already...as long as your pee is clear and doesn't smell awful, you should be fine.
  • Just drink as much as you feel like and don't force yourself to drink so much and just remember that certain foods also contribute to your water intake.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    There's no need to be drinking more than 8 or 9 cups of water. Drink until you're hydrated, which you'll know by looking at your urine. If it's almost clear, you're good to go. Drinking too much water on a daily basis can be just as harmful as not drinking enough. It overworks your kidneys. Unless you're sweating a ton at the gym, there's no need to drink so much.

^^^^^WTF?????

This is the most ridiculous advise I have EVER heard. Your body needs a minimum of 8 -8oz cups a day. Almost everybody is dehydrated. So you need to drink over 64oz of water a day until you are hydrated. You also need to drink water when working out to rehydrate from the water lost through sweat. Water is what makes everything work. You would have to seriously be chugging water to get too much as this poster suggests. I think other posters have suggested good ideas. I add Crystal Light if I'm struggling with water intake. Not the best solution, but at least I am drinking.

You are mistaken about everyone being dehydrated and NEEDING a minimum of 8 glasses a day. Please research this with a reputable source.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

The article you quoted states that the average male needs about 13 cups and women 9 cups. It did state that if eating a healthy diet, you could get up to 20% of your water from food, making that a little more than 10 cups for men and 7 cups for women. It also states that if certain conditions exist you may need more - such as your environment (altitude, temperature, humidity, etc.) as well as how much you exercise or if a medical condition exists.

While the previous poster shouldn't have said that EVERYone is dehydrated and needs 8 glasses of water per day, she isn't exactly mistaken.. most people DO need 8 glasses as exemplified by the article you quoted -- unless you are a woman with a healthy diet in the perfect environment that doesn't exercise, then 7.25 will work. :wink:

I like this website (http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm) where you can answer questions about your situation and it gives you your approximate recommended water intake. It usually tells me half my body weight in ounces not taking into consideration my fluid intake from foods, so that is generally what I aim for - sometimes it is more, sometimes less.
  • aNewMiniMe
    aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    To much water can be very bad for you too. Flushes out the needed sodium and vitamins. 6-10 glasses a day are plenty unless you are counting Vita-waters as clear water. They tend to replenish your vitamins a bit.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use a 32 oz bottle and I have to have my water ICE cold so I need the ice. By the time I'm down to the bottom there is no more ice left. I always just calculate it as 4 glasses (measuring 8 oz per "glass"). I know I am probably a little off since I use ice but I aim to drink 4-5 of the 32 oz bottle a day, so I know I'm getting what I need. Judge by your urine. You want it very light. If it's dark, drink more!
  • ehines91
    Options
    I'm with you on timing my drinks.

I fill a bottle up (23oz) and set my phone to go off every two hours (start at 11am -- end at 11pm) and make sure that the bottle is gone by the time the next alarm goes off.

I feel great throughout the day and yes, as you mentioned, it can be a tough act to start, but once you get going it is easy and you are hydrated! Plus, more water = less hunger cravings (at least I feel that way).

Great advice!

** Edit ** Sorry, this was supposed to quote "brittanywinel" on the first page... rookie mistake.
  • allyfry
    allyfry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time drinking just water. Even a couple of cups makes me feel odd- lightheaded, dizziness, ill stomach feeling, and way too much peeing. Talked to my doctor about it and she said that since I'm hypotensive I could be setting off my salt balance. I drink herbal tea during the winter that doesn't seem to have the same effect, but I also drink 8-12oz of gatorade a day, but never straight. I dilute the gatorade at least 1:3 so I'm getting salt and plenty of water but still have some flavor. Or add table salt, salt substitute, and a bit of honey to a glass of water. It ends up being about 100 calories extra a day but totally worth it for me.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    "Too much water" is generally referencing people who drink LARGE amounts of water in very SMALL amounts of time, not people drinking 16 cups over the course of the day...
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, I drink 3 cups of water with lemon/lime juice in it or 1 tbsp of Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar
    have some fruit, work out drink about 3 or 4 cups.
    After breakfast, I drink another 3 cups.
    Before lunch, 3 cups
    After, 3 cups
    Before dinner 1 or 2 cups
    after, maybe 1 cup... by then it doesn't really matter anymore lol
    I drink about 2-3 cups of tea throughout the day.

Sounds like a lot but I the only time I chug it is first thing in the morning before working out, and after working out. I chug, drive to the gym, then sip on water throughout the workout, chug the rest when I'm done. I have water at my side, ALWAYS.

I have a glass quart jar (used for canning)
    I fill it up to 24 oz with water at room temp (since it's cold out)
    in the summer I make sure it's chilled in the fridge. I don't put ice in it because it's so cold, but if you decide to use ice, fill your glass first then add the ice that way you know you're getting the right amount.
    When I'm not at home, I tote a gallon jug of water around.

Here's a neat video on how to make Essence water if you need some flavor in order to stay hydrated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xswlj6sr7I

After all this I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee (once or twice), and I'm STILL thirsty lol

I should also add that I cook with salt, put salty things on my food. Garlic salt and hot sauce are my two main high sodium ingredients. I use those daily.