Kitty advice, please

Options

Replies

• ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of the people posting. I would highly, HIGHLY recommend to stay away from the declawing route. It is so inhumane when there are other viable options out there. Having a pet isn't just about all of the fun and cute stuff that comes along with it. It's also taking responsibility for another life and ensuring that they're properly trained and cared for. You need to be able to have enough time to train your cat to not scratch on your furniture. Trust me, it's not impossible if you have the patience. This is why there are so many animals being undeservingly left in shelters- people don't care/have the time!! Please don't have your kitty declawed, and if you can't get over the *possibility* that the cat will scratch up your furniture, find him or her a loving home.
  • I trim both my cat and kittens nails. It can be done without much fuss if you are gentle. I end to wrap the bigger guy in a towel and cradle him while I do it. The kitten has no idea whats happening so she just purrs away. I reward their good behavior while I do this with a treat and they reward me by not clawing at the furniture. having scratcher pads helps too :)
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a cat and he is declawed, he is as happy if not more then when I got him with claws. But if you are looking for another way to get around doing that there is the scratching post and I've seen nail caps (not sure if thats the soft paws?) but they look like fake le-press-on nails for cats, it covers the nail and they sell them at Petsmart. Some Vets don't do declawing any longer but I suggest that if you don't want him/her to claw the furniture then do some googling about it.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Kitten Mittens... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBoBoeWi-Tg&feature=related

... I really hope someone else watches It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Loved that episode!! hahaha
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

There is nothing inhumane about it. Declawing isn't only for aesthetics. There are many other reasons to declaw a cat. Also, contrary to popular belief, declawing a cat is not comparable to removing a bone or fingernail from the human body. I don't understand how you are coming to this conclusion.

Well for one because it IS removing a bone/nail/last section of a digit. Perhaps you might want to actually research what you are saying before you comment. If you are working with a vet that says that they are just removing the claw they are lying to you to make you feel better about the procedure. Laser removal is NO DIFFERENT than a surgical declawing either, it just instantly cauterizes the blood vessels....the exact same removal of the tip of the digit is performed.

AGAIN, here is a link to a site written by a veterinarian that explains the procedure fully....and the horrbile complications that can occur, as well as physical and mential issues that can arise.

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

Here also is a list of countries that ban declawing, because they at least realize that it's worse for the animal than not:

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    Bosnia
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Norway
    Sweden
    Netherlands
    Northern Ireland
    Ireland
    Denmark
    Finland
    Slovenia
    Portugal
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Yugoslavia
    Malta
    Israel
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    My husband and I have had cats since before we met; the highest number we've had together is 4. Only one is declawed, the one I got when in university. I didn't know better: I was totally uneducated about what declawing really was. After finding out, I swore I'd never declaw a cat again. And I haven't. If you feel you must do it, ONLY do the front paws. If your cat were to get out accidentally (they are expert escape artists) it would need it's back claws to defend itself or climb a tree.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Thank god, I thought my humor was lost on everyone!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

Thank god, I thought my humor was lost on everyone!

this is one of my favorites!
  • Laura_emoore
    Options
    I personally have not tried soft paws, but what worked for me was a water bottle and providing a scratching post where they were aloud to scratch. Taking the time to train them is well worth it in the end for both kitty and owner. That way if the kitty gets loose outside, it has a chance to defend its self because they still have their claws.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have had cats since before we met; the highest number we've had together is 4. Only one is declawed, the one I got when in university. I didn't know better: I was totally uneducated about what declawing really was. After finding out, I swore I'd never declaw a cat again. And I haven't. If you feel you must do it, ONLY do the front paws. If your cat were to get out accidentally (they are expert escape artists) it would need it's back claws to defend itself or climb a tree.

If you have ever actually watched a cat defend itself or climb a tree you would realize they use their front claws to do both. They climb a tree and all limbs are using all claws to maintain their attachment to the tree and they absolutely use their front claws as defense. Go irritate a clawed cat and see where the 1st swipe at your comes from - the cat won't be kicking you.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i trim my cats claws and trained him with a spray bottle not to claw furniture
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am not for declawing and I would advise other alternatives such as soft paws, clipping it training.

That was so easy, an opinion without being insulting.

Since the OP asked for advice she seems to be open to alternatives to declawing. Attacking her and acting like school yard bullies is very adult of you. I love keyboard bravery...

She may not know the damage it causes, so she came her for help.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    My cats are front paw declawed. I would have much rather bought the nail tips (14.99) at petsmart but BF insisted on declaw
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My dad is a vet and we have had declawed cats as long as I can remember. #2. Do the front ones only. If your cat ever gets outside and has to fight, they use their back claws, not their front ones.

I have honestly NEVER seen a cat fight with it's back paws or in anyway lash out from the rear. I would love to see a video of this, if someone could provide it. I have had a lot of cats and they have done their share of swatting, especially at my dogs. But, never with their back paws. Then again, they were never declawed. I think this is garbage. Cats are like small lions. Has anyone ever seen a lion go after it's prey with it's back legs? Do they now kickbox zebras?

They use their back claws for DEFENSE not OFFENSE! My cat still does it when we're playing she'll roll over on her back and grab me with her front paws and go after my arm/toy/glove with her back claws. I have seen a fully declawed cat take on a dog and win before. Just because their claws are gone don't mean they are COMPLETELY helpless....Some cats will be. But the ones that learn to make do with what they have...can still function outside of a home. Not saying I would take my cat's back claws away since they don't harm furniture and she only rarely gets me with them when she jumps on me.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    My dad is a vet and we have had declawed cats as long as I can remember. #2. Do the front ones only. If your cat ever gets outside and has to fight, they use their back claws, not their front ones.

I have honestly NEVER seen a cat fight with it's back paws or in anyway lash out from the rear. I would love to see a video of this, if someone could provide it. I have had a lot of cats and they have done their share of swatting, especially at my dogs. But, never with their back paws. Then again, they were never declawed. I think this is garbage. Cats are like small lions. Has anyone ever seen a lion go after it's prey with it's back legs? Do they now kickbox zebras?

Ditto this - one of my previous male cats would constantly get into it (he was an outdoor kitty) and he used his front paws - I've witnessed it over and over... on birds, squirrels, other cats, etc. No front claws = your kitty is gonna get it's butt kicked if it ever gets out, and probably by a cat that still has claws.

Take a good look at 2 cats fighting: they hold each other with their front paws and kick and scratch with their back paws. I've seen our cats do this plenty of times.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I adopted my cat as an adult and softpaws DID NOT work. He just ripped them off every time I put them on. They would be off by the next morning all over the house ( I even used the clear ones..). I stopped trying after the second box. My cat is good and uses his scratching post but if he wants attention and I'm busy sometimes he'll scratch where he knows he's not supposed to just to get my attention. I almost de-clawed him recently as I bought a parrot and was worried about him attacking the bird, luckily he seems to ignore the bird.

There are ways that are less painful. See if you can find a vet that uses laser instead of blades. It is more expensive but if you really want it done I would suggest that route- a younger cat would bounce back in no time.

Most of the people who are holier than thou on here probably have no room to talk - unless they buy all their meat from local sources they investigate the living condition of the animals and their slaughter themselves... oh but cats are SO much cuter than cows, I forgot..
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options

If you have ever actually watched a cat defend itself or climb a tree you would realize they use their front claws to do both. They climb a tree and all limbs are using all claws to maintain their attachment to the tree and they absolutely use their front claws as defense. Go irritate a clawed cat and see where the 1st swipe at your comes from - the cat won't be kicking you.

Okay, so the vet who told me to only get the front claws done must be stupid then. So sorry. I've only owned cats for 13 years. I guess I've never seen one climb a tree or defend itself. Geez.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Poor Kitty, not only is he / she under the threat of losing their claws but is being forced to stay indoors as well.

I used to have a cat (he had a long life) and I always let him do what came naturally which unfortunately did include bringing home small (often dead) animals and eating my sofa. I took this as a small price to pay for 17 years companionship.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Most of the people who are holier than thou on here probably have no room to talk - unless they buy all their meat from local sources they investigate the living condition of the animals and their slaughter themselves... oh but cats are SO much cuter than cows, I forgot..

YES!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I declawed my cat. It was the price I paid to keep the cat. Or I suppose I should say, it's the price the cat paid so that I could keep her. The cat has not suffered any long-term ill effects that I can tell, and it has been tremendously convenient. But I still feel guilty about it.

I can't really advise you on what to do. With my next cat, I will probably try the soft-paw things. But I don't think its the most horrible thing ever to declaw your cat. It's certainly no more brutal than cutting their uterus + ovaries or testicles out.