Kitty advice, please

Options

Replies

• Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I work at two different veterinary clinics.

1 clinic will not even perform the surgery any more as the Doctor thinks it is not worth the pain and potential complications to the pet. The other clinic I work at still performs that procedure (which I have assisted in). If this caused the animal no pain or discomfort, why do we put a Fentanyl patch onto the cat before surgery to help control pain? Why are the legs bandaged so well and why do we require the cats stay with us in hospital for 3 days after the procedure? It is not a simple spay or neuter. The nail and first joint (bone) are taken right off.

We had a couple bring their 2 cats in for declaws. The cats were very uncomfortable in hospital and required additional pain medication on top of the pain patch that delivers narcotic through the skin. 4 days after going home, their one cat had the surgical site on each toe open up. He had to come back in, put back under anesthetic, and have them repaired. Fast forward 2 weeks, their other cat developed an infection in his feet from using the litter box after surgery. The owners regularly come in and say they shouldnt have done the surgery. Their cats wont even jump up and down off the couch due to pain.

Soft paws actually work. I would get your kitten used to playing with his feet and trimming his nails. Do that and the spray bottle route and that should work. If not, you can move to the soft paws.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    People who have declawed their cats say their cats didn't come home upset but I personally couldn't ever do it to my cat. Though at times he makes me really want too!!! I find with him though that if he has enough things through out the house to scratch he won't claw the furniture. I see when his box becomes dull he tries to claw my bed and than as soon as he gets a new box he stops clawing it again. I would try seeing if the cat is going to claw first. Keep a water bottle out and squirt the kitty if it goes near your furniture with claws. They learn quick that they will get wet. If you do get him stuff to scratch buy the catnip sprays and spray the stuff in front of your cat. The smell attracks them so they know that is theirs to claw.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    im a vet tech- please try sofy paws and scratching post etc before declawing- they actually extract the whole nail from the paw
    also since it is a kitten- start doing your own kitty pedicures at home - you can get the cat used to doing it and sometimes with cats less is more meaning you dont have to forcable hold them esp if you begin training them early
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends parents put double sided sticky tape on their furniture. It will annoy the **** out of your cat. Also a scratching post is great!
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    So... I have not read through any of the responses... just a disclaimer.

I have a kitty. He is indoor (he has to be... he is blind as a bat!!!) We considered De-clawing him because he accidentally put a claw through our bunnies ear... BUT ultimately we opted not to. I cannot speak to the morality or humanity of De-clawing, but... since the incident, we regularly clip his claws, and have had no issues if we keep up with this. Some cats may be more difficult to clip, but with ours, if you catch him mid nap, he barely notices. If you can keep up with the maintenance, and the kitty allows, this may be an option...
  • Kicktush
    Options
    You don't need to de-claw your cat as long as your a diligent with training when it is a kitten. We used soft paws to start off but every time they would reach to claw something they shouldn't we scooped them up, took them to a scratching post, and rubbed their paws on it with their claws pushed out. They got the message and we don't really have issues today. You do have to make sure you have adequate scratching posts available and that you regularly trim their nails.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    We also just got a new kitten in our house (four weeks in our home, 12 weeks old). It's the first non declawed cat we've had.

Things I have found: Provide scratching posts of adequate height in a central area where the cat can access it when ever he/she feels the urge. Encourage the use of this scratching post by playing near it and having the cat claw it in play to introduce them to it.

Make it clear that this is the only object that is to be clawed... and finally cut your cat's claws! I touch, squish, and generally won't leave my kittens feet alone every day so that the process of cutting his claws is simply a matter of holding still.

I'm no expert, but I can clip my kitten's claws without trouble and he uses his scratching post for his clawing. If he starts messing with something else, I reprimand him and find him something to play with. (it seems to have more to do with boredom than anything else, in this case). Good luck! Our previous cats seemed fine after their front claws were removed, but I do think it may cause them some level of distress. Either way, I do think leaving your cat with claws is a viable option and haven't had issue with it (yet).
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    do what you gotta do! I have a cat that we have had for 13 years..I was young and got her de-clawed! I live in the middle of BFE with all kinds of critters and randome dogs running around. plus my own two dogs. She gets out from time to time just because she is obnoxious and the kids leave the door open. She has gotten left out over night and never had any problem hissing and scaring the dogs off...even the neighbors dogs ar scared of her!
    She was not traumatized by her claw removal and STILL, after 13 years claws at the couch (even though she has no claws).

My sister uses those claw cover things with her cat and I think it is crazy...they fall off, the cat chews them off, he flicks them off and still climbs her curtains! I would traumatize my cat more by trying to hold her down and put those things on her every time one came off. My cat is a bit more moody then her cat. always has been...even BEFORE we got her declawed....that was why we got her de-clawed too....she was mean and scratched us all the time but we had already brought her home and did the responsible thing by keeping her so we had to make it work!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Piss and **** can be cleaned off a floor, replacing $10,000 curtains may not be so simple.

:huh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzQnbNvGrnBu5QbBR7iMM1F8hxpG0Nqs9facEl1QHfHU8DxMW4qgDWbbla

Really? How much do you think 3, 16 foot windows would cost. When the installer's needed a scafold to put them up. BOTTOM LINE- NOT OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!
  • debswebby
    Options
    The cat might be fine with the curtains. My two never climbed the curtains so you might be ok.

I have to say that up till now I've owned cats and have been fine with the torn and tattered carpets and furniture. The phrase "and that's why we can't have nice things" is often shouted in our house :laugh: Now I'm older, I really would like a nice home and nice fur free furniture. I will not be replacing the cat we have.

So I do understand you wanting to keep your house nice. Good luck with that. Sincerely :flowerforyou:
  • hillibee
    Options
    PLEASE DO NOT DECLAW HIM!!! It's cruel

I'm on my third indoor cat and have never had a problem with scratched furniture. I keep their claws clipped regularly using an ordinary nail clipper. If you train them from an early age, they are happy to let you do that. Just be careful only to clip the end not the quick. http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm gives very clear instructions.

Only my current cat has used a scratching post and is very good at it, but the others weren't. If you catch him scratching something he shouldn't, squirt some water at him using a small spray bottle - he'll soon learn.
  • gaby0324
    gaby0324 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi!! congrats on your new kitty!
    I have had cats all my life and currently own 5 fur balls! (4 indoors and 1 goes outside) and I never declawed them.
    My good friend is a vet tech and she told me that they dont recomment it at her clinic, they actually cut their finger tips off!!! and it is very painful for them. Actually last week a client insisted in doing the procedure on her kitty (very young, friendly and active cat) at her job and the kitty ended up crashing from the anesthesia, he was in critical condition and had permanent brain damage, he is now blind and deaf :(

Personally, I like to clip their nails myself with a cat clipper when they are sleeping and train them, but if you need you can use "sticky paws" on the furniture (very effective) or "soft paws". You can look for this products on amazon or ebay and find it very cheap...

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading through everyone's advice, just giving my own...forgive me! LOL

I have four cats, I do not believe in de-clawing, all of mine are indoor only. I trim their nails myself once a week. We also have several inexpensive cardboard scratching posts around the house. All of our furniture is fine. :bigsmile:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    www.softpaws.com The directions are on the site

we use these on all three of our maine coones. They are awesome just remember to clip their nails before putting them on. The only time I have issues is when I forget to replace them as they fall off.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading all the responses, but I am going to school to hopefully become a veterinarian. I have seen this procedure done once and I do not believe it is humane. Although the cat was under anesthesia, the veterinarian cut the claw which is an actual bone completely out. He said its rarely done any other way because they usually wind up growing back if you just clip them down. So instead they remove the entire claw. It is awful to watch, the one I did see there was a ton of blood and he said it wasn't as bad as he has seen. After the cat woke up later on it looked absolutely miserable. I can't imagine how much it must hurt.

Just from seeing the one operation, I would never do this to a cat. The unfortunate part is I will most likely be required to do it once in vet school. Hopefully if I land a job with the SPCA like I want it wont be a frequent operation....it breaks my heart.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    We do have 1 abandoned Cat who adopted us when she was around 6 or 7 who HATES getting her claws clipped. So much so that while I hold her wrapped in a towel, Hubz has a welding glove on because it's the only thing she can't bite through!

And your cat has to go through this every week or so? And this is better? Sounds extremely anxiety-producing to me.

Not that I need to justify this, however, since you decided to ASSUME the timeframe of the grooming: we trim them once every 3 months or so, as I said - when they turn into TALONS, or before we take them to the V-E-T (whispered so they don't hear that word!) for their annuals so they don't shred the poor doctors & techs there (the alternative is the vet sedates them, clips them & then they have to deal with flushing sedation out of their system!). She doesn't like it since SHE DIDN"T GROW UP WITH US - we adopted her, actually she adopted us, when she was 6 or 7 & that's when she was introduced to grooming - she's only 10 now & getting better each time (now she just hisses more than anything - so the moral here is you can teach an old cat new tricks :wink: ). The other 3 just don't care, they think it's extra-special love & treat time :wink:
    And seriously, don't tell me your parents never induced anxiety in you as you were growing up (eat all your veggies, do your homework, you got WHAT grade in school??!!)
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Water bottle + water= spray him/her when she claws!!! My cat used to claw the wood in our house, and now she doesnt!!! Declawing is awful.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well de-clawing works but if your indoor cat ever accidently got outside it would have no defense since it had no claws, and batting the nose of an animal that is trying to eat you with a paw containing no claws is pretty useless. So I recommend the spray water bottle and the scratching posts.
  • kathykoz
    kathykoz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes - please don't declaw - it is removal of an entire digit of the toe. There are side effects of removal.

Better option - in addition to keeping claws trimmed, get the inexpensive corrugated cardboard scratchers. Cats LOVE them. They won't claw furniture if they have something they like scratching on better. If you see it starting to scratch on something, place it on the cat scratcher. It will learn. Get several - one for each room that the cat likes to hang out - so there is always one near by.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Buy a scratching post, put double-sided tape on your furniture, and arm yourself with a spray bottle for a few months.