People who are cooking New Year's Eve's dinner at home - Wha

Options

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    We're grazing on side dishes, lol. We've discovered that being three girls and no longer a larger family, we can't have everything we loved to make for Christmas Dinner and NYE, so we split all the fun stuff up between Christmas Eve & day and NYE and day. We'll have cottage cheese with pineapple, chilled shrimp, some kind of a cheesey thing (haven't decided which, yet), pickles, spinach dip......whatever my daughter says we haven't done yet and still have ingredients for!
  • Susan0816
    Susan0816 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For the past 15-20 years, we stay home, watch the ball drop with fondue for dinner and homemade bean dip for late night snack.
    Very Boring -- We do not drink when people will be drinking or on holidays.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Generally when we stay home I make finger foods and we graze through the night.....devilled eggs, sliced mozzarella w/ tomatos and roaster red peppers....still haven't decided what to do this evening.

And now I've added Sausage Balls to the menu, but before all that a nice big salad!! ;)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For the past 15-20 years, we stay home, watch the ball drop with fondue for dinner and homemade bean dip for late night snack.

Fondue is a fabulous idea!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Fondue is a fabulous idea!

And definitely not boring when you want to spend time with your family.....so no negativity!!!! ****insert razzzzzzzberry here
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Being from the south I plan on cooking a southern meal tweaked some so that the cals don't get too out of hand

Fresh collards and turnip greens cooked with a smoked turkey wing(seasoning), Purple hull peas cooked with a smoked turkey wing (seasoning) and cornbread... Not to forget the smoked turkey wings ;)
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Generally when we stay home I make finger foods and we graze through the night.....devilled eggs, sliced mozzarella w/ tomatos and roaster red peppers....still haven't decided what to do this evening.

And now I've added Sausage Balls to the menu, but before all that a nice big salad!! ;)

This has given me a great idea because we are big salad eaters but sometimes want to "graze" for the night and I hadn't thought on salad nights to also fix a lil finger food to go with it..

THANX!
  • naplidon96
    Options
    Finger Foods is whats on the table, but im eating Faux Pasta[Shiritaki Noodles] & some Calamari[not fried!] & some salad, no dressing, chicken wings and stuff like that. Not such a bad eating day considering all ive had so far was 400 calories!
  • antipanic
    Options
    I am serving twelve at home. I am making roast pork tenderloin http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemary-roasted-pork-tenderloin/
    and marinated salmon http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Wild-Salmon/Detail.aspx for the meat dishes.

For sides, I will do a mixed green salad, roasted brussels sprouts and oven baked potato medallions. Maybe a risotto too. I think I picked all these because they all had some lucky componet - fish, pork, greens, rice and for the potatoes, I am making them shaped like coins, so I count those as lucky food too!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm having marinated grilled pork chops, steamed broccoli and sweet potato fries. I'm not a cabbage person so I'm making some turkey chili for tomorrow so if I'm hungry later on I'll have a bowl of that for an evening snack.

The marinade I use is really simple; 2 parts olive oil, 2 parts vinegar, 1 part adobo seasoning (most of the time found with the hispanic foods). It's fantastic on grilled chicken and pork.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I want to come over if you are doing fondue! LOL

Today is actually hubby's birthday and he HATES fondue so we are doing homemade potato soup. Put it in the crock pot this morning and I will eat my 1 large serving for about 500 cals and he will be eating on it all night! ;) Enjoy and Happy New Year!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    YUMeverything sounds so good, have a great new years....we are just staying home watching a bunch of old movies with the kids and ordering papa murphys they have lite pizzas with thin crust and less cheese that is really good for a lot less calories. the kids dont like it as well but we will get one regular crust and one thin lite pizza......
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    We are grilling steaks, making a salad, some steamed green beans, baby red potatoes, and a fresh baked parker house roll. Champagne and chocolate for...dessert. *evil giggle* :blushing:

Happy New Year, everyone!
  • weaverfit
    Options
    im eating Faux Pasta[Shiritaki Noodles]

Thanks for listing this new food I've never heard of. I googled it and am going to try some. I'm hopelessly addicted to pasta and it will be nice to have a 0 calorie substitute.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    TACOS!!!! But I got that workout in. They have been earned. =]

5499814.png
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We're having homemade chicken fajitas...can't go too fancy with a 6 year old down with Mono.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    blackeyed peas and rice (hoppin' john)
    greens medley-collard, turnip, mustard, spinach
    cornbread
    apple pie

all from scratch
    all vegan
    soul-food veganized!!!!

nom nom nom---looking forward to eating!!! my crock pot is on FIRE!!!!!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Seared sea scallops
    roasted asparagus
    baked potato
    Sweet dessert wine
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hubby cooked: roast chicken, roast beef, roast potatoes, roast carrot/parsnip/butternut squash, peas, cabbage, spinach, brussel sprouts, cauliflower cheese, petit pois, yorkshire puddings and gravy.

We ate over 4 hrs ago and I am still stuffed!!:happy:
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We are having...Oven roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing and corn