CrossFit

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the guy in question admits to not having worked out in two years. its his own fault for going beyond his comfort zone in his FIRST session. the writer of the article is pretty biased in the article, using terms like "cult like." my PT, who does crossfit, put a HUGE emphasis on form for my deadlift high pulls.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I had to giggle when I came across this post about hot women with muscles. Yup, RachelSNO job turned it into a discussion about CROSS FIT:

Fri 12/16/11 12:59 PM
    Somebody posted that some of them are Crossfit women. Crossfit does promote that level of extremeness, so I would not be at all surprised

Those kind of photos are counterproductive, because a lot of women are already avoiding weight lifting because they don't want to look all muscled up like that. I take a weight lifting class at the YMCA. and most women lift in a moderate weight range that would not make them look like Amazon women.

AMAZON women?
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I hope to goodness SOMEONE gets a life next year! Jus' Say'n... :wink:

As for myself, my New Years' resolution is to become an Amazon woman!!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    You know I really wish you would quit bein so negative, to me I did something good. Guess what I didn't get hurt and I am still goin to do Crossfit now matter what articles you try to email me. It was an accomplishment for me, not you. You don't like Crossfit, we all get that, stop bashin those who do and want to share what they do and enjoy about it on this thread. That is the only reason, I started comin on here in the first place was to talk with other who do what I am doin, not to talk to someone who can't seem to get it in their head that people don't want to listen to you about all your negativity.
    You should be proud. I remember 3 years ago in boot camp I had horrible pain in my knees and feet. I was at the point where jumping at all-even on a curb was a frightening thought. Since then, the box jump has scared the hell out of me, as ridiculous as it sounds. That was 3 years ago of course.

And, oddly enough, it does help out in real life. What do you think helped me build up the strength in my legs to jump from the boat to the pier at work and tie the line? Sure it was physical exercise in general but that had a lot to do with it.

This troll on here is just a hater. Be proud of yourself, keep up the hard work, and continue to make progress. That's all that really matters, right? :)
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I say that if you are going to challenge yourself to conquer a fear, and you are going to take a risk to do it, make sure that it's something that's really worth the risk, and not just seeing how high of a box you can jump on to impress your coach or others in the Crossfit box.

Don't just do it because it is part of an exercise routine, or you are allowing others to set your goals for you. If I was in a boot camp class and the coach said to jump on and off a tall box, I would refuse. Not because I am afraid, but because I don't take silly, unnecessary risks on demand. Besides, there are many other ways to build strength.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    IT'S A FUNCTIONAL *$&%$*^%#*&$ MOVEMENT!!!!!
  • LisaCFSF
    Options
    OH CRAP! I just realized that I was in the military & did all kinds of CrossFit like activities including a crazy USAF obstacle course, I also took 10 years of TaeKwonDo and am a Sr. Second Degree Black Belt; played many years of softball; I hunt, fish, climb trees, swim, water ski, tube, etc; white water rafted the full Ocoee river 1996 Olympic course last May; biked 20 miles for Tour de Cure in May; have ran 4 5Ks in the last year; and OH YEAH, I CrossFit... Geez, I sure hope those were all FUNCTIONAL activities... LOL! Gotta laugh, there will be NO changing a closed mind! I hope everyone enjoys whatever activities, sports, events, and hobbies of their individual choosing and wish all my fellow athletes & fitness nuts a safe, healthy, & prosperous NEW YEAR!!!
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You know I really wish you would quit bein so negative, to me I did something good. Guess what I didn't get hurt and I am still goin to do Crossfit now matter what articles you try to email me. It was an accomplishment for me, not you. You don't like Crossfit, we all get that, stop bashin those who do and want to share what they do and enjoy about it on this thread. That is the only reason, I started comin on here in the first place was to talk with other who do what I am doin, not to talk to someone who can't seem to get it in their head that people don't want to listen to you about all your negativity.
    You should be proud. I remember 3 years ago in boot camp I had horrible pain in my knees and feet. I was at the point where jumping at all-even on a curb was a frightening thought. Since then, the box jump has scared the hell out of me, as ridiculous as it sounds. That was 3 years ago of course.

And, oddly enough, it does help out in real life. What do you think helped me build up the strength in my legs to jump from the boat to the pier at work and tie the line? Sure it was physical exercise in general but that had a lot to do with it.

This troll on here is just a hater. Be proud of yourself, keep up the hard work, and continue to make progress. That's all that really matters, right? :)

Thank you, and I am goin to continue doin and over comin a lot more fears that I may have. The next thing for me to concor is the hand stand...lol I am proud of what I have accomplished over the short time I have been workin out and look forward to more of those workouts. I did also have an incident that happend about 5 yrs ago that is why me and the box were havin our discition for a little bit. The box jump will be benifital for me to have in my life. So I am very happy that I am now over my fear. Thanks again.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    engineman2112 - you are my new hero.

Here is to striving to look like an "Amazon" in 2012. I have Cross Fit friends and they look FABULOUS! None of them are injured. They don't workout until their hands bleed. They don't vomit doing Cross Fit or wear Mr. Pukey T-shirts.

P.S. I want one of those T-shirts. Maybe RachelSNO job will send me hers since she obviously flunked out of Cross Fit. Hee! Hee! Happy New Year!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Nope, the box jump won't do a thing to improve your health. It's just another way to show off.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    RachelSNO.....have you actually attended any Crossfit Gyms? I was just wondering as this is the second time I know of youve posted this exact same response...I actually prefer to try something before I have any comments about it to anyone. You do state that the extreme nature of Crossfit has made you not even want to consider it, but I 'm sure alot of people on this site had the same reservations about P90x or Insanity or whatever other workouts are out there....
    Like I said , I prefer to make recommendations about something based on personal experience. Everyones entitled to their opinions, I just feel that opinions are better formed from experience.

I have nothing to say about Crossfit (I've heard the term but I've not looked into it) but I have to disagree with the premise that you have to have experienced something in order to have certain opinions about it. You don't have to have done crack to have an opinion about it. You can say it's bad but not that it's more fun than heroine. (Bad analogy but you get my point).

So true, this whole thread is beyond ignorant those in favor of Crossfit as bad as the person against it. There are no doubt bad Crossfit trainers/coaches as well as good. What I'm most suspicious of is the fact that you can go into it with no exercise physiology background and get "certified" in a weekend. Working with any fitness professional (or medical professional or anyone else giving you guidance and advice about your body) requires due diligence, do they have the training, expertise and intelligence to be overseeing your training? I'm sure there are competent Crossfit trainers and incompetent ones. Why do you all insist on talking in generalities about a program that is only as good as the individual dispensing and overseeing your program? There is no way ALL of you know ALL of the Crossfit owners and their particular level of training, education and competence.

Use your brains, rationality and critical thinking and not your emotional connection to a particular type of workout.

I've run a marathon and absolutely loved it (regardless of injuring myself in the process). However, I do no go around telling everyone it's the best or safest workout for them, under any and all circumstances....that would be ignorant.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    OH CRAP! I just realized that I was in the military & did all kinds of CrossFit like activities including a crazy USAF obstacle course, I also took 10 years of TaeKwonDo and am a Sr. Second Degree Black Belt; played many years of softball; I hunt, fish, climb trees, swim, water ski, tube, etc; white water rafted the full Ocoee river 1996 Olympic course last May; biked 20 miles for Tour de Cure in May; have ran 4 5Ks in the last year; and OH YEAH, I CrossFit... Geez, I sure hope those were all FUNCTIONAL activities... LOL! Gotta laugh, there will be NO changing a closed mind! I hope everyone enjoys whatever activities, sports, events, and hobbies of their individual choosing and wish all my fellow athletes & fitness nuts a safe, healthy, & prosperous NEW YEAR!!!

Right? We did all kinds of exercises in boot camp that you see in crossfit, and as I've said before it has helped me in real life. Although it seems to me that the thing that keeps posting isn't so much against crossfitt as they are against the box jump.

Somone at my last base died playing raquetball, maybe I should start giving reasons why raquetball is dangerous and should never be played.
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just discovered CrossFit today while watching ESPN at the gym. Definitely a future fitness goal of mine.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Nope, the box jump won't do a thing to improve your health. It's just another way to show off.

something wrong with showing off? lol don't hate if you have nothing worth showing... not saying you do or don't .. just sayn
  • LisaCFSF
    Options
    Hmmm... Wonder how she feels about handstands? :wink:
  • snkeller24
    Options

DO YOU REALIZE THE DANGERS OF BEING UPSIDE DOWN?!! YOU'RE ORGANS COULD SHIFT AROUND!! :laugh:
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Being reasonably fit is enough for most people. You don't have to do a bunch of crazy Crossfit stunts to be reasonably fit, you don't have to join Crossfit gyms or pay money to the Crossfit organizations or subject yourself to the demands of extreme Crossfit training to be reasonably fit.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have been reading the crossfit babble. I am neither for nor against it. What i am against is people on here bashing others for trying it. I am in the army. I have heard people say cf is very militaristic. I am not conceited ot narcissistic but my picture is current and i am around 9% body fat. If cf does that for people....then what is the problem?

And for those that say it is too extreme... then stay away. I like extreme. I want to be pushed. No offense but the pink weights do not cut it for me. That is the difference between someone who wants to lose a couple of pounds and an athlete. To each their own.

I was just admiring how far you have come my friend, you look FANTASTIC!

Thanks missfit. You look great too. You always have. Keep up the great work.
  • LisaCFSF
    Options

DO YOU REALIZE THE DANGERS OF BEING UPSIDE DOWN?!! YOU'RE ORGANS COULD SHIFT AROUND!! :laugh:

OMG!!! I guess I'm screwed now!!! :tongue: