The rudest thing anyone said to you about your weight?

Options

Replies

• JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    My grandma always gave me a hard time about my weight. There was one time she came up to see me in college with my parents. I lived on the 4th floor so she waited in the car so she didn't have to come up the stairs. I came out the door and she was in the car out on the road a decent ways away. She sees me come out and hollers "Oh my God you're huge!" Yeah...thanks...
  • SheriWerth
    SheriWerth Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend once who had pictures of models in bikinis on his wall. One day he said to me: why can't you look like that.?... I thought for a moment and said: Because if I looked like that I wouldn't be with you.. true story...
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options

This happened to me a couple weeks ago in the gym:

Me: {walking up to pretty girl sitting on a machine} hey how's it going
    Her: **** off
    Me: alright then.

Some people can be SO rude! It's no wonder men don't have the confidence to go up and say hi to a woman... Jeez.
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the "When are you due?" pregnancy question. Ironically I was pregnant but only 8 weeks so would not have been showing yet. I was out jogging after losing 50lbs and some punk kids yelled some really crappy stuff at me like "Look at the fat *kitten* jiggle." One of his friends said, "All of her jiggles. Not just her *kitten*." But I didn't stop jogging that route. They don't know me. Pardon my language but **** them.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    There are so many things...geesh. A guy asked me in a job interview if I had a genetic disorder that made me fat. I've also been asked numerous times about my thyroid - is something wrong with your thyroid that makes you that way? Of course I've been laughed at and teased by morons in public. And I was a youth pastor and a group of jerk students made fun of me on Facebook. I think the worst was being spit on. Also when I was 14 and lost 40 pounds, my uncle said, "Thank God you lost weight. Your face looked like it had been blown up like a balloon." Yay for the morons in this world....uhhhh....NOT.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There's been a few...

"You're lucky you have such large breasts... it covers your big belly."

"Suck your belly in. More. MORE."

I was nicknamed Stumpy as a kid. And cos of my height I was subjected to paediatrician appointments every 3 months from when I was 5 until 15, where I was told I was short and fat (when I wasn't really that fat. I was just chubby and have always had a "healthy weight" BMI)...

:(
  • Lostpounds2
    Options
    I once had a guy break up with me and say to me, "I had to get used to looking at your body," we had been together for a year. It was a real self esteem kick to me but took me another 7-8 years for me to kick start my weight down on here.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I went from having a work shirt that was half a size too small, to borrowing one from a friend that was about 6 sizes too big.

The first shirt, everybody commented saying it was too small. The second, everybody (not even the boss -- just normal workers) commented saying it was too big.

Really? I didn't know that! I also didn't know how much my clothing affected you!
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    " I like a girl with a bit of beef"
  • surfygirl78
    Options
    I was seeing a Psychiatrist and the first thing she said to me was you need to TAKE A STACK OF THAT WEIGHT OFF!! really I thought I was there as I suffer from extreme anxiety, the next visit she told me if I didn't loose weight I would be dead in 5yrs, i'm 33yrs old single Mum to a 10yr old boy, so you could imagine how this made me feel when one of my anxieties is fear of dying and dying young. Go figure!! Sometimes I think these professionals do more harm than good. Now i'm convinced i'm going to die, I am about 30kgs overweight. Do these people think we dont look in mirrors daily. xxoo
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, my dr put me on new arthritis medication, little did I know that I ended up being allergic to it, before I found this out though, I looked like I had really bad allergies. So, while I was at work, I looked faint, and about to pass out, and this thin co-worker of mine (who I like, so I'm going to excuse her misstep), worriedly looks at me and says, "Oh, it's your blood pressure, it's too high). My blood pressure is normal, it was NOT my blood pressure.

All the doctors I'd go to BEFORE I went to a rheumatologist would focus on my weight, once I got RA, and I see a rheumatologist regularly, she focuses on my arthritis, and we have discussed my weight, but it's not the first thing we talk about when I go for a check-up, so that's comforting.
  • StephLiechty12
    Options
    Childhood:

Kids on the bus would sing the jingle to the old Jenny Craig Commercials only they would sing "1-800-stephanie-needs-Jenny". Hurtful and humiliating.

High School and College, I was thin (NOT in a healthy way, either).

Now (size 14/188lbs):

My dad's disapproving looks.
    My niece being surprised I am able to teach each day because of the baby in my belly. My baby is 6 months old!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    When I was at my largest I do remember one kid coming up to me, pointing and going "MONSTER!" - that hurt my feelings. For some reason my sister and her friends thought it was particularly funny as well - I know just a kid but it still sucked. Another thing was after I had lost a stack of weight (about 176 pounds) I was walking down the street and a car drove past and I heard "fat scrag!" .. sucks even more when you've gone to the effort you have to lose weight and people still say stuff like that.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've also used the horrid things said to me as rocket fuel to get me to where I need to be.

^This. :flowerforyou:
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    I went to a psychiatrist about some severe depression I was having, and I told her I wanted a weight neutral drug if she was going to prescribe one because a drug that made me gain weight would just depress me more. She told me, "Then go get bariatric surgery, and you won't be depressed anymore." Seriously? >.<

Slightly similar thing. When I was younger I was quite heavy and I got a comment from my doctor at the time about my weight. It really sticks with you. It was quite rude.
  • Rwedeking05
    Options
    There was this one time, I was at my uncle's annual end of the summer bash, and that means the whole friggin community is invited. So, anywhoo... I was wearing a shirt that was made to be tight right below the bust, and loose fitting everywhere else. Well.. I stood up from the table to pour a few shots for an older guy, and a few other people, and myself.. lol... and he goes " oh hun.... you're not pregnant, are you?" I couldn't do much else, but laugh it off, and tell him no.

Or... When I was seeing a nutritionist for my diabetes, The lady asks me as we are talking about losing weight, "how much do you want to lose?" I say, "about 50 pounds." she laughs at me and says, " 50lbs is a bit too ambitious for you dear." This lady was a twig.. mind you.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1) My ex of two years was embarrassed of me. He didn't take me out places, he didn't tell people that we were dating (although we worked together, different shifts.) - he treated me like a booty call - and dumped me b/c he doesnt date "fat chicks"

2) In highschool I weighed 253lbs (5 years ago) I got down to 172lbs and I was talking to a girl and I made the remark "im glad I dont look like I did in highschool" and she said "you look the same to me" and I said "um, dont say that" and she said "well its true" (since then i've gotten up to 199lbs.)
  • jadeh218
    jadeh218 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've had a few.... got called a baby elephant by a total stranger. My uncle frequently has a 'joke' (um funny to who?) where he always asks if I like to cook, and then says well you certainly like to eat!

Another thing that has stayed with me... I went to an OB/GYN due to major period issues (ie I'd had my period constantly for 12 months +)... the first thing she said was oh you'd be so pretty if you weren't so fat. Then said the problems I was having was due to my weight so she wasn't going to do anything about it, as she'd just recommend that I lose weight, and once I get to a healthy BMI I shouldn't have problems anymore.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options

That reminds me of two women who were in a class I used to take at my former gym. They came up to me after class once and said "could you please stay in the back row during class. You block to much of the mirror and none of us want to look at you". I quit going to that gym. The one I am at now is so much nicer, the people more encouraging and it is not filled with a bunch of women who mostly want to strut around in their work out clothes and talking to guys.

That's the most awful thing that anyone could do to someone at the gym - what a couple of cows. That is so rude and mean spirited, I would have been mortified.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I went for a skin check....The doctor commented on my varicose veins and said that I was over weight.....WT??? Didn't he think I knew that plus I was there for a skin check. I haven't been back.....

Before I moved here the skin doctor I was seeing did not even make a comment about my weight.