Boycotting fast food for 2012 .... Who's in ???

Options

Replies

• megansoriano
    Options
    Bye bye McDonald sweet tea.... :(

ooo I know! I use to drink a large sweet tea or coke every day! Somehow McDonalds coke is always better then everyone else. The past year I have changed it to MAYBE one every couple months as a treat. I enjoy it more and I am not consuming seven hundred calories a day for only a liquid! Mostly I drink water and fresca but if I really have an itch for tea I make my own with loads of splenda :)

I am down for this, I've gave up fast food months and months ago but sometimes when I have no time I might stop off and get a Chick-fil-A. So this year, 'Ive decided to keep snacks in my purse or car for when I am on the go!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    I don't eat fried food now it's been 2 years since i ate fried food.For me it's cut down on sweets.

mmm like dark chocolate!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Subway *is* fast food!

I agree, I once ate there instead of eating my lunch at work. When I logged what I ate (I thought was pretty reasonable) it was close to 1000 calories (no condiments, was the meat and bread that got me!). So you really have to be aware when eating there. It is so delicious though!
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    You can eat fast food if your smart and plan. When McDonalds has eggmcmuffins on sale, I buy two without cheese. I give the muffins to coworkers, eat the egg and "ham". For 2 bucks I get a ton of protein, less than 300 calories, and almost no carbs. Throw in some yogurt on the side or a banana and thats a good kickstart.

Subway breakfast flatbreads.....I order the foot long with yellow egg. I load it up with enough veggies to feed an army of rabbits. I then ditch the whole flatbread----the egg is strong enough to use as a burrito or taco and hold all the toppings. Once again for less than 3 bucks, a good bit of protein and veggies....calories differ depending on how many tomatoes and such you get.

Subway roasted chicken pieces are 90 calories a piece. I will get a footlong with double meat and then toss the actual sub, just eating the chicken and usually onions and peppers. All that chicken only 360 calories and its a ton of protein. Its a really good power lunch.

KFC has a two piece thigh and leg here for 2.99. I get it grilled, give away the biscuit and side item....lots of protein for 3 bucks and only 250 calories.

I eat very little fast food overall. I pack my own lunches and cook 2x a week so I have regular supply of the right foods. But real life does intervene at times, and you have to adjust. The keys to fast food are not getting a combo meal, not getting a coke type beverage(tea included), and only eating there when you have to. And if you do have to get a combo meal, give the food to others you cant eat---I work with people that are like zombies to brains when free food of any kind is offered. I agree the best way is to skip fast food, but if you cant...eat smart.

As a closing most places now have grilled chicken sanwiches but they tend to be pricey all alone--the Wendys grilled chicken is huge, and also 6 bucks. Not worth it to me.

Be smart, not afraid.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Still letting myself get fried garbage at sit down places but convenience food is OUT! Excellent idea, I was shopping around for a decent new years resolution...
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    Be ready to throw the bread away on anything fast food you get----those buns on some of those things are huge. I toss the bread even at Subway....bread can be very bad if eaten in the quantities we usually eat them in.
  • zelsmt
    zelsmt Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm definitely in for that one. I have cut down in the past year from about 4-5 times a week to maybe once a week. I have lost 50 pounds in the last year and still have another 50 to go. One of my resolutions for 2012 is totally get away from fast food and if I do go it will be either Mr. Sub or Subway for a veggie sub.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    For me, my resolution is not to give up fast food...because realistically I do have to stop off every once in a while. My resolution is to force myself to make healthier and more nutritious choices. Goodbye to the burgers and fries that I love so much...and hello healthy grilled chicken sandwiches, and salads with grilled chicken and vinaigrette dressings! Chicken chicken chicken...LOL
  • EnjoyEverything
    EnjoyEverything Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to REDUCE my fast food intake. For me, I need a treat now and then. So my resolution this year is to limit one fast food intake to an ACCEPTABLE level. A Big Mac is not unhealthy. It's all in the calorie count.

So here goes. Pizza once every other week, and any fast food every other week. I will not be a slave to eating and the reality is, I love the taste.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    2012 is going to be the year of nothing deep fried. Convenience food will consist of Pita Pit, Subway, etc only.

Can I get a "hell yeah" ?? :bigsmile:

Hell yeah! But almost no deep fried or fast food items have passed my lips for about 15 years EXCEPT McDonald's fries. Just couldn't give those up, but I have managed to avoid them since starting with MFP in July. Most of that stuff just seems gross now that I've been away from it for so long.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Subway *is* fast food!

not if you walk to it and from it on your lunch break and get a turkey with no condiments and loaded veggies on wheat.. no soda, chips are cookies... thats good enough for me
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding fast food since I started. I've been waiting on you guys. Let's do this the right way.

Hell Yeah!!!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I join! (But, Subway does NOT count as FF)
  • rider123
    Options
    Wish I could join you but it would be a lie. Over the years I have learned that if I deny myself the weight loss doesn't work. Not that I eat alot of fried food, just a bite here and there. Good luck to you though!!!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    With being vegetarian, grain free, dairy free, etc. I already avoid fast/convenience foods. In a pinch I will do Subway salad with dressing on the side or my own dressing. not a bad choice.

Pam
  • Mandypt
    Options
    Subway *is* fast food!

not if you walk to it and from it on your lunch break and get a turkey with no condiments and loaded veggies on wheat.. no soda, chips are cookies... thats good enough for me

or cookies.. none for me lol sorry i type faster than i think
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can't discourage you from your positive goals you're all making, but do consider what a poster said above about ordering better foods off the menu. Subway and Pita Pit is not all that much better than the other fast food places! Just like anywhere else--it depends on what you order and how often! When you restrict yourself from a food altogether, you are more likely to feel like a failure if you break your own expectation. If you haven't read how bad and processed subway is, go look into it. Turkey is the only sensible sandwich to get, but they don't even put on that much. You're still eating all carbs for the most part. The wheat bread is mostly white bread with dye. You are better off eating at Chipotle.

At Chipotle, either split a burrito bowl or have your own soft taco.
    In a burrito bowl I get:
    3 scoops beans (protein and fiber!)
    small scoop brown rice
    Peppers/Onions
    Mild Salsa
    Medium Salsa
    Corn Salsa
    Lettuce
    Little guacamole
    Little sour cream
    Little cheese

The last three ingredients aren't bad for you. They have good fats, just be sure they do only put on a little!

Ughh I hate to be negative here, I just want you guys to be aware! The only time I lost more than 10 pounds in my life, I was ADDING food to my diet, (healthy things) and didn't purposefully restrict anything! I've lost 40 pounds total in two years. Thats why I'm so passionate about this, but I recognize everyone has different bodies and mindsets.

Good luck, happy new year!
  • Mandypt
    Options
    If anyone has a Smoothie King by them... they don't count either.. just because it has a drive thru, people consider it fast food, but most are healthy
  • Mandypt
    Options
    I can't discourage you from your positive goals you're all making, but do consider what a poster said above about ordering better foods off the menu. Subway and Pita Pit is not all that much better than the other fast food places! Just like anywhere else--it depends on what you order and how often! When you restrict yourself from a food altogether, you are more likely to feel like a failure if you break your own expectation. If you haven't read how bad and processed subway is, go look into it. Turkey is the only sensible sandwich to get, but they don't even put on that much. You're still eating all carbs for the most part. The wheat bread is mostly white bread with dye. You are better off eating at Chipotle.

At Chipotle, either split a burrito bowl or have your own soft taco.
    In a burrito bowl I get:
    3 scoops beans (protein and fiber!)
    small scoop brown rice
    Peppers/Onions
    Mild Salsa
    Medium Salsa
    Corn Salsa
    Lettuce
    Little guacamole
    Little sour cream
    Little cheese

The last three ingredients aren't bad for you. They have good fats, just be sure they do only put on a little!

Ughh I hate to be negative here, I just want you guys to be aware! The only time I lost more than 10 pounds in my life, I was ADDING food to my diet, (healthy things) and didn't purposefully restrict anything! I've lost 40 pounds total in two years. Thats why I'm so passionate about this, but I recognize everyone has different bodies and mindsets.

Good luck, happy new year!

what is chipotle?
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fast food although I love McDonalds fries. About three years ago I cut down my fast food intake to maybe once a month (bc I have two little ones and I wanted them to see Fast Food as more of a special occassion kind of thing instead of a regular meal), now if I get any fast food, my stomach kills and it just reminds as to why I cut it out in the first place. Good luck to you all because it is tough!:wink: