WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies!

I too have read all the posts and enjoyed hearing how everyone plans to live the New Year! I have been thinking about my "resolutions" and after reading yours, I think that what I need most is to focus on being consistent too. I fall off track too easily...being away or having a houseful of family or guests...I revert back to old, not so great habits! When I am focused, I do well. I just need to come up with a better way to deal with travel and guests. I do not intend to give up either, so I am sure there is a way to do this! :huh: :huh:

I weighed myself this morning, after not weighing during the last 2-3 weeks when everyone was here. I am up a bit over 2 pounds. I am giving myself a couple of weeks to get rid of that and if not, I will change my ticker. I bought the 17 day diet book after reading that some of you had used it. I started that yesterday. I just need a "cleansing" couple of weeks, so plan to use this as my guide. Then will mix up my days as they suggest and see if this works for me. As long as I can have fruits and vegetables, I think I can handle it. This will help rid me of my sugar cravings that came back due to holiday "treats"!:grumble:

To the new ladies: EVERYone is welcome here...the more the merrier! Let us know more about yourselves!

Robin: Love the photo of your daughter and son-in-law and "new grand baby"...how fun and yes, she is beautiful! Remind me again when she is due? Our DIL is due the first of March with our second granddaughter. I can tell you, it is awesome to be a grandmother! I miss our little one this morning after having her for over 2 weeks!

Michelle: Yes, it is good to have those treats out of the house (or somewhere?!). I tossed everything not consumed before I drove the kids to the airport yesterday. I was afraid I would come home and finish them off!:embarassed:

Amanda; I too am pulling things out of my closet. I only wear a few things that I love and it's time to simplify. Wish that I could say that mine were as small as yours are!!! You've done so, so well!:flowerforyou:

Viv: Way to go getting out the door...moving is moving!

Jane: You are doing great and I love your attitude!

Barbie: Thanks again for getting us going for the new month and the new year! You are awesome and we appreciate you!!!

Mary: (mimi) So glad to see your face here and hope that all goes well with your Dad. I understand your struggle while away...it is mine as well. I am sure that we can figure out a way to handle it. I am "all or none" which is not good. You take care and let me know what you come up with that works!

We are in for our first frost or freeze of the winter tonight so I must go set up some covers for some of my tender plants...then off for a much needed fast walk/run!

Take care! Kackie:heart::heart: :heart:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning all,

welcome all newbies....:flowerforyou:

yesterday i made the quinoa, some black beans(i like to store them in single portion container)to freeze for my son and me(my son is a food plan, he eats 5-6 meals a day, mostly portein)...i must say the quinoa's texture is like a rice, so i liked it very much...i mixed in some black beans it was yummy...the quinoa will pick up the flavors of the foods you share it with...if there is any left today i will mix it up with some roasted veggies....well off to the gym :flowerforyou:

robin your daughter is beautiful, what a lovely belly, and yes you do see the family resemblance

have a lovely day all
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    BTW, in the last thread I asked Suzy what simple carbs were, as opposed to complex carbs...yes, I know it's a pretty ignorant question, but we have to learn somehow. :blushing: So in case she doesn't pick up my late post, can someone please fill me in?

Cheers,
    Kathie

Kathy, You already got a great answer on this thread about simple carbs. Just remember the higher the amount of fiber, the more complex carbohydrate the food contains. A good guide is the glycemic index which you can find online or You can google simple carbs.

You also asked what I restocked with. Well, here is what is in simple carb-free my pantry these days Hope this helps :flowerforyou:

VEGGIES: Almost any vegetable except white potatoes.I try to eat broccoli and/or spinach every day.
    FRUIT: Berries, cherries, apples, pears, plums.
    FATS: olive oil, nuts, nut butter, avocados, dark chocolate
    DAIRY: cheese, cream cheese, Fiber One Yogurt
    MEATS: Eggs, Chicken, Fish, Crisp Bacon (I eat lean red meat once a week)
    GRAINS: Whole grains only. Oatmeal, not the instant kind, Whole grain pastas and breads, Brown Rice
    SUGAR: Stevia,

NO SUGAR, WHITE FLOUR, CORN, CORNMEAL, FRUIT JUICE, MILK or FATS OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED ABOVE.

I have a few high protein staples for my go-to afternoon snacks or on the run breakfast: EAS AdvantEdge Protein Shakes, Ezekiel Bread and Oh Yeah Fudge Brownie Protein Bars

AS FOR MY GOALS:
    I fell off the stay active and eat healthy bandwagon big time and am just now getting back on track. My goal for January is to get my water intake and exercise back up to where it should be and stay within my calorie limits. I want to lose the 20 lbs I put back on by March so I need to lose at least 1 pound a week between now and then.

Also wondering WHY this thread hasn't turned int o a support group?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390510-support-groups-challenges-please-migrate-to-groups
  • srdrum
    srdrum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This will be my big year to turn 50!! I just joined MFP yesterday with hopes of losing 30 lbs and bigger hopes of dropping a few medications. I am looking forward to reading all of the encouraging posts.
  • zee1957
    zee1957 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    count me in, I don't have time to read all the thread but it's sound like a good group. I will read it later,.
    Have a great day Ladies!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

All the high spirits for the New Year is fantastic and lifting my spirits.

Today is my last day of Winter Break (I work at a University, so we are all off the week between Christmas and New Year's) . Tomorrow I go back to a new boss who does not appear to be the greatest person to work for, but I am keeping an open mind. I have to dress nicer and I have to be more punctual. After being able to dress in jeans and having flex time for 5 years, those two things alone are stressing me out.

Have a great day everyone and good luck with logging, exercise and good food choices today.

Jeannie
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh, the holidays are finally over. What a fun, fun time and so many delicious foods that were a little on the rich side and difficult to say "no" to. So I didn't bother too much with that, lol. I noticed I was able to put smaller portions on my plate and not feel cheated, though. Last night I was thinking gee, I didn't stuff myself at any holiday meal for a change. Oh, I ate plenty, don't get me wrong. Nibbling after dinner on mini-helpings, sampling while cooking, etc.

I took a couple of days off from logging foods over Christmas weekend, and managed to stay off the scale for a full 3 days afterwards. Much to my surprise my weight was right where I left off before the festivities. Well, just a little over, but only by a few ounces.

Now yesterday I set myself up for one of the biggest challenges I've had in the longest time -- I baked a couple of loaves of whole wheat bread. It smelled incredible, the aroma wafting through the house...but do you know that I didn't even slice a single piece when it came piping hot out of the oven?!?! Amazing. I leashed up my pup and took him out on a long walk instead. Hubby had a nice, warm slice with real butter while I was gone and told me all about how wonderful it was. I'm so glad he enjoyed it, I know exactly what it tastes like....it's a memory now neatly filed away in the "Hot Bread and Butter" category of days gone by.

Making butternut squash soup today with leftover baked squash from New Years Eve dinner. I'll enjoy a bowl of it for lunch with a slice of fresh bread. Which reminds me, since I'm planning on having bread for lunch, I won't be able to have it for breakfast. Of course the first thing I thought of when I got up this morning was a piece of it toasted for breakfast with an egg or almond butter. Just can't let myself get into a big bread habit. Pounds will reappear like nobody's business.

So I'll sit here another few minutes and decide where I want to include my solitary slice of bread, lol. Now or later, that is the question. Here I go planning my food day. Simply have to do it, otherwise I'm totally out of control.

Good day to all,
    jb
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome wickedcricket, grumpers, jb (conVERYgrats JB well done!), vypeters (WOW you HAVE com far!), uts52 (good luck!), lovetohikeMT (what brand stationary recumbent bike? Is it easier on the knees than an upright?), mrshiskey (who's the pooch?), DaleNich (Amen!), gianninarosa (I'm more than a litle over;>), kissybiz (feeling so much better after only 2 weeks of activity, you bet you're insipiring!), kckramp (is kinect Zumba really that much better than wii zumba?), shmogo (bad knees stink! Have you tried PT exercises? any supplements?), debteel, Lindsay and welcome back Laniv.

:happy: Joyce, jb, Nancy, Faye, Barbie, smwert, macmadame, Beverley, Jane, Viv, Kathie, read 'em all, but (BREATHE) trying to let go... (BREATHE):laugh:
    :noway: genealace after all you went through, I'd be nervous too. The treadmill wouldn't be hidden, it would be GONE! You're a brave gal!
    :love: Jeannie you DESERVE to make time for yourself. You are a wonderful gal!
    :huh: Rita recumbent bike? for outdoors or for spinning indoors?
    :heart: Harmony love your 2012 goals, may your only losses be pounds and inches.
    :brokenheart: Bea, my heart goes out to you, it is the final kindness and the hardest thing.
    :flowerforyou: Cathy from 226 to 153, what an accomplishment!
    :laugh: lisa love your fruit and champagne diet! Maybe some nuts for protein?
    :bigsmile: Sally Congrats! are you going to frame the blood work printout?
    :love: Mary love how positive you are!
    :huh: Michele what should I look for in a stationary recumbent bike?
    :smooched: Robin love the pic.
    :smile: Pam I'll try the quinoa soon, mixed with some of your yummy beans
    :tongue: kackie time to simplify, amen!
    :flowerforyou: Amanda conVERYgratulations!

Wanted to make goal of min 10,000 steps/day this month:noway: but that will have to wait for knee to improve:sad:. Joined the 1000 minutes challenge. Using it to make sure I get down on that mat EVERY day this month. Amanda's right it IS time to move, NOW!

Hugs to ALL,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, who WILL be size 10 one day
    January: mat work and let go a little every day.
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Back again - 2 days in a row. So far managing to stick with my resolutions! hee hee

Lindsay - I was brought up in Kent (Herne Bay) and can remember my excitement when I went to London without my parents for the first time.

I tracked everything yesterday and while I was over on everything, I also tracked everything. It is a start and the only thing that can happen is that it will get better.

I have to pull my boots on and go to clear some snow. It is nice and bright outside so I should go and earn some extra calories. I try not to eat them as I figure that they are what will burn off some of the fat.

Not sure what I'm doing for the rest of the day, except I have to go to my GF to check on her house. She was supposed to be coming home today, but her mum has a medical appt on Wednesday so she is staying there for a few extra days to take her mum.
  • beth535
    beth535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

Robin: Yes, the picture of your daughter is great. BUT, the picture of you is gorgeous! Were you a model? Just how long ago was that picture? I'm sure you're still beautiful!!

Welcome, again, newcomers!

Kathie: So glad to hear someone else say it took an hour to read the posts! It's a holiday here in the U.S. so I'm not working today. When I wake and feed the cats, my next move is to power up the laptop. On days off, I usually tell myself I'll get to my chores within an hour or so. Then, it's suddenly at least two hours later, like it is today! Perhaps I should set mini deadlines: only half an hour on the PC, then must do at least an hour of chores before going back to it, etc.

AHealthierSuz: A few weeks ago I also asked about why this thread hadn't turned into a group. Only a couple of "members" agreed. I exchanged some thoughts about it with Barbie, who created this thread. From my perspective, it would be more convenient to just click on "my groups." But then I realized that I can just click on "My Topics," click the link, go to the last entry of the current thread, then backwards until where I last read. Perhaps a few more keystrokes or mouse moves, but it accomplishes the same point. I guess my other thought was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." However, if you and others decide to try the "group" concept, I'd be interested.

Day 1 of the new year I did manage to log everything I ate, but I definitely wasn't under my calorie goal. As someone else said earlier, one day at a time, one step at a time. I'm thinking about having a specific goal for each day, something I would set the night before so I wouldn't have to think about it in the morning. Today it's going to be to finish the day under my calorie goal.

I REALLY have a hard time making and keeping commitments to myself. I suppose it's part of that whole "not good enough" syndrome that plagues so many of us. I actually have a master's degree in counselor education, community counseling services, although I was only a practicing therapist for a couple of years. (Working in the financial services industry on an IT help desk is MUCH more lucrative! Besides, I still get to "counsel" unhappy customers!!) ANYWAY, the point of saying that is that I certainly "know" what it takes to be mentally, emotionally, and spiritually healthy. I'm very good at coaching and supporting others. Doing healthy things for myself? Definitely a work in progress. Yes, I have that great track record of being "sober" and "smober," as I said yesterday. AND, I had at least 70 days of consistency here on MFP before I got off track. SO, I know that I CAN be good to myself in ways that are healthy instead of simply self-indulgent. (shopping with a credit card to feel better is what I'd call self-indulgent!! LOL!!)

What about you ladies? What techniques do you use to get successful, positive results in your efforts to improve or maintain your health and fitness goals?

Catch you later!

Beth
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I must confess I didn't get on the treadmill yesterday, but I'm determined to do it. DBF and I went to the local museum so I wandered around there for about an hour and then went to the IMAX to watch a movie about a train going from Vancouver through the mountains and how they built the line. It was very good.

When I was in hospital, I got 1 slice of toast the day I went in - because I was having surgery the next day. When I hadn't had the surgery by 9:00 p.m. I asked if I could get something to eat, preferably something with some protein and veggies, but I only got 1 slice of tast - because I was having surgery the next day. The next day in late afternoon I asked if I could order dinner but was told that I couldn't have anything because I was still scheduled for surgery. I pointed out that if I didn't go for surgery then I would again have nothing. They said they'd look into it. When DBF arrived just before the end of visiting time, I told him what had happened and he said that there was a brown paperbag on the counter in the reception area with my name on it. At 9:00 when my surgery wasn't going to happen they brought me the bag. Inside was a sandwich with meat in it and it had been sitting on the counter for I don't know how long. I figured that if I got salmonella poisoning I was in the right place to be treated. I was first on the surgery list for the next day. Of course the 4 day delay has had a long term effect on the mobility of my shoulder - it isn't supposed to be out of place for that long!

So perhaps when I get in from shovelling some snow I'll go and look at the treadmill (no guarantee I'll get on it!)
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    So my great plan to get back on track didn't go so well yesterday as my best friend got back from her holiday and said "I'm inviting us over for dinner - order Chinese we are on our way". Chinese/Thai food not so good for the calorie counting! But it was nice to catch up with everyone. So....today is the first day of the new me. I even have my pedometer on me and I intend to walk for 30 mins at lunch.

Update on my dog - she started stumbling and falling over on Boxing Day. The vet is calling it Vestibular Disease and doesn't have any treatment for it. She said that we can wait and see if it gets better and if not it is just a matter of waiting to see how long she can go without being in pain. Right now she is still stumbling and falling, her vision hasn't been great for a year or so and now seems to be much worse - She can't do stairs, she can't do sidewalks, she can't see her food in her bowl but she will eat if I hand feed it to her. She's 16 and a rescue dog - when we first got her she was terrified of every noise and person who came near her - and she almost seems back to that now except for her "family". I don't think she really needs all of this trauma in her life now It's just really hard to make the final decision. I'm back at work for the first day since before Christmas so she is home alone with my boys - we'll see how she does today I guess.

Have a great day ladies.

Bea
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I was going to ask Robin if she was a model too! great pictures. I am down today. I get depressed every year in January. I gained 3 pounds since Friday! isn't that almost impossible. We ate in restaurants for 3 days soI am hoping it is sodium and water weight
    Tomorrow will tell. off to the dentist now.
    Smwert
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    just stopped by to answer a few questions.
    the pic was taken 16 years ago while I was a working actress in LA.
    My daughter is due the end of January.

I didn't gain too much on vacation. I will attribute it to the fact we were always walking. I lost all my weight before when I was walking between 9 and 12 miles a day. I need to get back to some serious walking again and I think I am beginning to feel motivated. have a wonderful day all.
  • reneecooperman
    reneecooperman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I'm just shy of 50, but you women are my kind of people! Thank you for opening this up to everyone. I made two pies this morning. I love to bake, but, it's crazy to be counting calories and baking at the same time. Fortunately, one pie turned out horrible. :happy:
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have read through most of this thread and said to myself...WOW, this is a place I need to be!! I started on my journey last December 28, 2010 very motivated and determined to get my weight down and improve my health. My daughter presented a challenge to me that if I could lose 30 pounds by the end of June 2011, she would take me to Las Vegas!! I met that goal on June 18th. Because it was the summer, and sooooo hot there, I told my daughter to put it off until cooler weather, and I was going to try for a jackpot of losing 60 pounds. The next four months (July-Oct) I only managed to lose 9 pounds, but was still happy because I was trending down. Then November came and I started slacking and not posting my calories, and not walking as much. Who am I kidding....I didn't walk. Then December, and I will admit, nothing was off limits. Weighed myself this morning, and am almost back to where I was in June. Today is a new day, and I am not going to have a pitty party. My goal is to be consistent in logging in to MFP, drink more water and walk at least five times a week. Thank you ladies for the inspiration!
  • Jesuslover59
    Options
    I AM 52, OFFICIALLY GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE, AND AM SO GLAD TO FIND MFP AND THIS THREAD!:heart: I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted growing up and was skinny. Then I took up running in my 20's and could still eat a lot and be slim. Then I got in car accidents and couldn't run. Then I got married and had 4 children. My weight kept creeping up, as I didn't lose all I gained. All of a sudden I weighed over 200 lbs! yikes! I have been in denial for a while, trying not to look at my reflection in store windows, etc., not buying a scale for home, thinking I could still exercise and eat all I wanted. It is so much harder to lose weight now that I am older. But, thanks to the easy tools and great support on here, it is easier. I go back to work tomorrow- part time- so that should help too. The hardest time for me is in the evenings. But I am learning to eat smaller portions and exercise and I can still eat some snacks at night. Also, I do eat a lot of whole grains and protein, so I am more full. And now that Christmas is over, I won't be making or getting all those sweets! Most importantly, I am a Christian and I know the Lord cares about what concerns me so this site is an answer to prayer. Well, thanks for letting me ramble and have a great day!:flowerforyou:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Hello everyone,

What fun I have reading your posts every morning. Tomorrow I go back to work, though, and I am going to have to revise my routine. I don't think my students, (or the principal of my school) will appreciate it if I am an hour or two late every day because I've been lingering over coffee with my on-line friends. On the other hand, if I wait until Saturday to catch-up I will loose the whole weekend. Such a dilemma. :ohwell:

Pam2, thank-you for explaining about "cardio as anti-depressant". I've been on antidepressants for about ten years so I'm well tuned into my mental state. Its very obvious that when I am physically active I am happier, it's a great motivator.

:happy: I noticed that a lot of people listed "drink more water" as a goal. Here's what works for me: a huge plastic drinking glass with a lid and a built in straw. It looks like the kind of thing you get a giant smoothy except it's not disposable. It follows me around the house, filled with water, water and lemon slices, water and lime slices, water and ice....you get the idea. The lid is essential for me because I tend to knock things over! The size is great because I am not always going back to the sink for more. I got one at my local bookstore and the next one at Winners, but I am sure they are all over the place.

Have fun, hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 days shy of 49, but I think I'll join in anyway!

My resolution is to battle carbs in their various forms. I am a major wuss about them, defend them for the energy factor, but cannot lose the lumpiness they are leaving behind on my tummy and hips. I just feel that it will help my FAT loss and help avoid MUSCLE loss, considering I'm doing both cardio and weight training.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 on 6 March 2012 and have been on a mission to be glamorous and healthy by then. I have also got some cousins and friends now signed up and am so determined! Just don't know how I join the group?