Any trick to drink 8 cups of water per day?

Options
123457»

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Tea can make up cups of water only if kept under 3 cups as otherwise it will not hydrate you and have the oppisite affects.

Try actually reading some of this thread rather than spouting long-debunked myths...sigh...

I drink no neat water, and have around 10-12 cups of tea a day. By your words, i should be dead.
  • TheLazyNative
    Options
    a cup before breakfast, a cup after breakfast. repeat with every meal and you're on you way.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sharing this:

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. In 37% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
    Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
    Drinking adequate water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. It can also significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
    Article by Jim Carey - Raw Food Coach
    The very first statistic is false, and the rest aren't much better. Also, a "mere 2% drop" is actually a HUGE drop. 2% of your fluid is almost a gallon of water (which for most people to lose that much, would be not drinking or eating anything for 48 hours.) It's a scare mongering article, nothing more.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

And please tell me, why don't you wait until you are thirsty to drink? Please explain it to me. The body has hundreds of thirst sensors that sense both a drop in fluid levels or an increase in electrolyte concentration on a cellular level, and immediately report this change to the brain, which sends out the thirst signal for you to drink fluids and restore the balance. It's a highly evolved system that's worked for millions of years, why is it suddenly not good enough?

Because then bottled water companies wouldn't make a profit.
  • Tbirdgal_Stef
    Tbirdgal_Stef Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In real terms it should read 8 cups of liquid. Any more than 2 litres of liquid a day can be harmful. That includes tea, coffee and drinks like coca cola/lemonade. Other than coffee/tea I only drink water. I add a squeeze of lime or lemon (e.g. Berri 99% lemon juice) to the water....makes it tasty.
    How is it harmful? I drink over a gallon of water almost every day. More if I'm doing something strenuous outside in the heat. I've been doing it for years.

I "over" drank water not to long ago and ended up with leg cramping, much like dehydration. The over water consumpsion diluted my Potassium. I wasn't spreading my water out enough over a day, was usually chugging to much at one time. Now I make sure to start in the morning and continue slowly throughout the day. I agree that too much at to close of intervals can cause troubles. I have a hard enough time drinking any water at all. LOL
  • Wavdeep
    Options
    I find it impossible to remember to drink throughout the day and don't really like water (yes, I know) so tend to force myself to neck a pint at breakfast and another just before going to bed.
  • tigersword
    Options

And please tell me, why don't you wait until you are thirsty to drink? Please explain it to me. The body has hundreds of thirst sensors that sense both a drop in fluid levels or an increase in electrolyte concentration on a cellular level, and immediately report this change to the brain, which sends out the thirst signal for you to drink fluids and restore the balance. It's a highly evolved system that's worked for millions of years, why is it suddenly not good enough?

Because then bottled water companies wouldn't make a profit.

YAY, someone understands my point! :drinker: <-- NOT water. :laugh:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the way people think on this site. When people ask about food, the common answer tends to be "listen to your body, only eat if you are hungry," etc. Yet, when the topic comes to drinking, it's "DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, FORCE WATER DOWN YOUR THROAT CONSTANTLY!"

It really is kind of mind boggling, especially since the thirst response is a lot more reliable than the hunger response, since thirst doesn't rely on specific hormonal responses and eating patterns like hunger does.

So I guess Physical trainers really know nothing or my text book I am reading as I am in school to certify right now as a trainer. . . .

You don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water, and the water your body needs is based on body weight and activity level. Obviously a sedentary individual or someone who just does light workout is not going to need as much water as someone who is an athlete, but by no means do caffeinated beverages, full of chemicals, count as water. These things are on the contrary not only harder for your body to process, but they are diaretics as well. Your body needs an adequate amount of water for your internal organs to function. The body is made up of approxiamately 70% water, so if you chose not to drink enough you are only hurting yourself, it allows your body to function at an optimal level flushing toxins, fat, etc.

As for all these internet references, if one wants to find something to support an arguement, no matter how far fetched or ridiuculous, it can be found, but how reliable those sources are, are another story. So my advice, if you want to know about how much WATER TO CONSUME. . . go talk to a Physical trainer, or nutritionist. . . Please please, don't trust just throwing that question out into a room full of people and hoping to get the right answer. .

The best of luck to everyone here in their health and fitness journey.

Again, caffeinated beverages do not dehydrate you because they are diuretics. And if you disagree, show me a peer reviewed study that says they do, as far as I know, one doesn't exist, because the studies I've read show that caffeinated beverages hydrate as well as water. And WATER is a diuretic, so stop tossing the word diuretic around like it's something bad.

:yawn: YAWN. . . . I do believe I have grown bored listening to you play KNOW-IT-ALL in this thread. . . If you were a certified Physical Trainer or a licensed Dietitian I might be inclined to listen to more of this, but bottom line. . Sodas are garbage. . .They do not hydrate the body. They are laced with a mass amount of chemicals both the diet and the regular variety, and the regular soda is also loaded with sugar which metabolizes as fat in the body. . . If you love looking up studies and how things react in the body, you might want to look up aspartame. The best thing for the body is water or decaffeinated herbal teas. I don't have to go far to find how counterproductive these products are for fitness on any level. . no further than my school text book. Next thing you know you will tell me that alcohol counts as water too. . It also is deterimental to health and fitness programs.

So AGAIN. . my advice to people here is go talk to a certified or licensed professional. . DON'T take it from me. Perhaps you can go tell BOB & DOLVETT how fabulous sodas, coffee, teas and such are for health and fitness. I have trained before to box and kickbox before ever deciding to become a Physical Trainer so I know better.

* Now with that said you may return to your pedestal, and keep preaching to the masses.:noway:
  • tigersword
    Options
    Maybe you should go read some actual peer reviewed scientific journals, and you will see that most of what you just said doesn't hold up to scientific scrutiny. Sodas do indeed hydrate you, as they are over 90% water. Do you think the water magically disappears as you drink it or something?

Also caffeine as a diuretic only works in Tablet doses of 1000 mg. So that's 1000 mg of caffeine with no fluid with it. The average can of soda consists of an average of about 30 mg of caffeine diluted in 12 oz of water. If you can't understand the difference between those two scenarios, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Also, I've read all the scientific literature on aspartame, and yes, I've read all the ridiculous OMG ASPARTAME IS EVIL stuff as well, none of which actually has any scientific merit whatsoever. When was your text ook written by the way? Does it contain any research from the past 20 years? Most of them don't.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For me I just fill a 3 cup tall glass 3-5 times a day. It works with water bottles that are 24 ounces too. I have even seen some that have sliders to track your daily water. It takes a while to build it to a habit even if you actually LIKE water. Some people have to learn to love it first and that takes time.