Your Thought On Age Difference?

Options

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Once you're of legal age (which in this country is 16) then it's fair game and whatever floats your boat - not sure why everyone seems to think they can judge.
    I'm 21 and if a 17 year old girl with sufficient maturity came along, I wouldn't put the brakes on it simply because she's 17. However, it's unlikely that would happen so other than a physical attraction, I can't really see what a 31/17 year old would have in common.

Also, for the idiots who say they'd pull a pistol on the guy, congratulations on your maturity.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Someone of legal age dating someone under 18 is completely not right in my opinion. But at 21 years old about to be 22 in a few weeks the age gap is not a huge problem for me now. But at 17/18 years old I was in no way considering dating someone in their 30s even let alone late 20s... Now at 21 going on 22 I wouldn't even date pass 35 years old max (and that's even pushing it!!!)
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Age gaps are fine, but not when one of them is underage or still in high school. That just seems disturbing. Once people reach their full maturity, I say date whoever you want. Age gaps over 15 years personally creep me out though. I'm 25 and I couldn't imagine dating a 40 year old. I'd probably stick around 28-35 for my age range. I think it really depends on who you ask.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and my husband is 42...we've been together for 9 years and married for 3 years :-))
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It depends, like other have said, if it's borderline child then yeah...no. But age is really just a number. My boyfriend is 28 and I'm 21, and everything is working out great. He's just at the right maturity level for me. haha
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I started dating my husband when I was 19 and he was 28 :) For us, it worked out great! Although, I will say, we had a very rough road for many years because I was still growing up and so was he.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have always dated way younger only because they think I am their age- so now I'm *trying* to date my own age - and frankly my own age don't hang where I hang (at rock shows) so I went online cause that's what peple do I guess and I just have nothing in common with any of them - help me am I twisted?
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I dated a 33 year old. Great guy, but the age difference broke us up because we only shared a few mutual friends and I was limited as to the things I could tag along to do.

Only time I dated someone older was when i was 18 and he was 33
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My husband is the oldest person that I have ever dated. He is 13 years older then I am (I'm 30, He's 43). It is not odd at all; HOWEVER, my step-daughter is 19 dating a 31 year old and I find that completely ludicrous. (Yes, I know that makes my hypocritical) My husband and I met in the military and were both very focused on working and the things in life that do not revlove around alcohol, clubs, drugs, and parties. I believe that a 30-something should be focused on a career and over the partying lifestyle that 18/19 year old live. What kind of life can a 30-something offer if he is out in the club acting like a teenager? I don't get it.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I had to read the 1st line like 3x LOL I thought he is dating his own second teenager :laugh:

Me too LOL Then I thought Uhm............. criminal? I dont know what the laws are there, but here thats illigal.................
  • Clairew27
    Options
    Ive been with someone 36 years older than me since I was 22 now im 27 and he is 64 nearly. Never thought I'd deal with the age difference but I dont feel it really. Know its going to end at some point though as I want kids and to get married, but for now we're both happy, dance together, eat together :o/ and play - its all good fun for now....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on the individuals and how they met. My brother was in his mid-20s when he started dating his ex-wife, who was 16. But they'd gotten to know each other gradually... she was the sister of his best friend's wife. It's not like he was sitting outside of schoolyards in an unmarked van with candy. :wink: They married when she was 19, and had a son a year later. The relationship didn't work out, and I'm sure her age had something to do with it because she thought she was missing out on something. But the age difference wasn't the problem. His second wife (I hate to say it like that... it sounds like there's going to be a third, fourth, etc... I think of her more as his TRUE wife) is a year younger than his first, and they've been married 11 years now.

On the other hand, there's guys who go for girls because they're young and impressionable, and young and impressionable girls who believe these guys like them for their "maturity." That's not always the case, but it's not always NOT the case, either.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Girls go for older guys up to a point - when you first start dating there's a HUGE maturity gap between 18 year old girls and boys. After 40, I think women tend to have a younger attitude than men of the same age, so it swings back the other way. Hence I used to date a few years older, married someone the same age in my mid-20s then post-divorce mostly dated younger.

My current squeeze (OK partner of three years) is six years younger than me :drinker:
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    My husband is almost 12 years older than me and we've been together since 1999! It was a bit weird when we first started going out when I was 19 and he was 31, but the gap soon closed. The weirdest thing back then was trying to mix our friends, but it hasn't been an issue in years.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I hope the teenagers he is dating are of legal age.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    statutory. that is all.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    double post - sorry
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    At 19, my boyfriend was 34. I have a friend who's 30 and her husband turns 60 this month. My neighbors when I was a kid were 12 years apart and had been married forever, with four kids.

It's funny that when I did it, it didn't feel weird. And I don't think it's weird when people I KNOW do it. But reading your post made me cringe.

Honestly, I think 17 is pushing it. In some states, it's the legal age of consent, but if it's not where you are, he's setting himself up for a jail term. I would hope that at the very least, these girls are out of high school. That makes it a little less creepy to me.
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    I had to read the 1st line like 3x LOL I thought he is dating his own second teenager :laugh:

thats awesome rofl!!!! thanks you just made my day.

have an amazing day everyone

Gerald
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Okay, So my daughters father who is 31 is now dating his second teenager. His first one was last year and she was 17 he was 30 at the time. Now at 31 he is dating an 18yr old. I have said nothing to him, but I find it a wee bit odd that a man of his age cant find someone his own age.

But on the same hand my cousin is 26 and dating a man who is 58.

Again I find this odd, but now curious....whats the youngest/oldest person you've dated and how did that work out?
    It's not odd.
    Teenage girls of legal age are hot. That's when you ladies look the best you'll ever look.
    At some point it becomes creepy though.

If a teen girl came on to me at age 47, my first reaction would be "what is wrong with this girl"?
    But age 31? No problem if he can draw them in.