Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

which is harder for you - boredom eating or stress eating?

I've always had a problem with the emotional ties of eating, if I'm upset food will comfort me. Breaking that habit has been one of the most difficult things I have done, but I think I am halfway there.

What do you find is the more difficult link for you?

Replies

• jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    I am a bored eater, If I have nothing to do all eat something. Also I feel like I need to eat something while I watch T.V, or a movie. When I clearly dont!
  • Stress eating, specifically when I'm feeling anxious, is the big one for me. Food is calming and sedating.
  • Boredom. If I'm slow at work I will sit and snack all day. Same at home.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 277 Member
    Boredom.

I'm not living a high stress life, so stress eating would be quite rare for me these days.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    I tend to eat out of boredom more often than I do out of stress, but I'm quite happy to do both! :ohwell:
    I find curbing the bordom eating easier than the stress, because I'm sitting around thinking about it, but with stress eating its an imediate reaction and often I've done it before I even realised I was eating something if that makes sense.
  • I am the same way, when watching tv or a movie... that is a really hard time for me! Have you found anything that helps?
  • Boredom is sometimes really bad but stress eating is definitely worse for me. If I'm anxious and stressed its like I loose all control.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Boredom...especially at work. I end up snacking on too much crap and I'm not even hungry.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I do both. Mostly boredom eating though. The difference for me is that I can eat healthy when I'm boredom eating. When stess eating, unfortunately, broccoli and grilled chicken don't make it better as well as nachos, chocolate and vodka.
  • I'm not working right now, and my classes dont start until the 17th... so I am home trying not to "fridge-raid"... it's not as easy as it sounds!!
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    I am a bored eater, If I have nothing to do all eat something. Also I feel like I need to eat something while I watch T.V, or a movie. When I clearly dont!

This. Which is why I now knit. Keeps my hands busy and full.
  • RoxRae
    RoxRae Posts: 60
    I am a bored eater AND an emotional eater. Double whammy!! I find myself wanting to munch on something when I'm bored and I really want to eat if I get mad or frustrated. Yesterday afternoon I found myself wanting something and I chewed the HECK out of a piece of gum! :)
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    I do both and I am surely a procrastinating eater too.. If I don't want to do something I will just eat something instead of getting to it.. bad bad habits..
  • Definitely e-mo eating... esp. if I'm angry. Stuffing something sweet in the mouth stuffs the anger down..maybe because I hate conflict. But then again...I'm faced with internal conflict over over-eating!! So it's best to calm down, face the issues with a heart quieted by prayer, and deal with what's really driving me. That takes time... and consideration; moreso than simply "stuffing" :):wink:
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    I can find any reason to eat! I eat when Im bored, depressed, sad, happy, anxious, ect.! I just love food! Apparently though, I have loved food more than myself. Now Im learning how to change that:)
  • so what has everyone done that helps them, when bored, not to eat when not hungry? I could use some tips :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    BOTH!!!

One of the reasons I go to the gym 6 days a week is to not be bored at home in the evenings. In the past I could sit down in front of the idiot box at around 7 pm (after supper) and consume a 2 Litre bottle of Coke + big bag of chips and a 500ml container of sour cream based dip before heading to bed.

Add stress into the scenario and you can add in a 2x trio stop at McDonald's on my way home for supper!

Now I am not bored as I am active every day and when I am stressed. I go to the gym and hit the heavy bag or do some fast skip rope for a few rounds. Calms me right down!

I would even make the argument that my gym membership costs me less than what I was spending on junk food per month!
  • boredome eating. When I'm stressed I have no appetite.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    I am the same way, when watching tv or a movie... that is a really hard time for me! Have you found anything that helps?
    I chew a lot of gum now. Also I try to just avoid watching TV what-so-ever. I could probably be doing something more productive with my time.
  • I can find any reason to eat! I eat when Im bored, depressed, sad, happy, anxious, ect.! I just love food! Apparently though, I have loved food more than myself. Now Im learning how to change that:)

I understand that completely, loving food more than yourself... sounds like you are definitely on the right path, though!