Bananas to eat or not to eat

Options
Bananas are high in potassium. We need this, specially after a long run or hard work out. So why are there so many people saying not to eat bananas if you want to lose weight? What is so bad with the O so delicious Banana?

Replies

• boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree. Without my 11 o'clock banana I would end up grabbing a packet of crisps or biscuits to get me through to lunch. They are denser and higher calories than other fruits, but they also fill you up and still have less calories than all the other stuff I would normally grab......I'm with you.....Bananas should be in for dieting
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It seems that for almost every food, there are people who praise and villify it. Go figure...go bananas!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em sometimes :D They're good for me, and not just 'cause they're high in potassium.

Some people obsess about carbs and sugars, which makes bananas a no-no because they're higher in carbs/sugars than other fruit (though not *that* much higher).
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    bananas are high calorie compared to other fruit

And its kind of a misnomer that bananas are a "good" source of potassium - see this list from the USDA for good sources of potassium, banana is halfway down the list:

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixb.htm

that being said, I freakin love bananas. so I still eat them.
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    I GO BANANAS FOR BANANAS!

However some folks have to watch their blood sugar levels, as advised by their doctor.
    These folks, I am told, also need to take into account how much fiber and fat is being consumed w/ higher sugar foods.
    (^Apologies in advance if this is not entirely correct.)
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    also bananas are a binding fruit, which doctors recommend w/ gastrointestinal upset, which could maybe cause constipation depending on how ones body reacts to them
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    I love bananas! I am eating one right now! Hahahah.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For a few months straight I ate one every day, and I still lost weight!
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Bahaha! When I clicked on the page, the "5 foods not to eat if you want to lose weight" add popped up on the top with a banana!!!

But I love bananas!!! Nom Nom Nom!
    I know they are REALLY high in sugar, which, natural or not, can still be bad when not monitored. I think it should be looked at as a sweet food, not something to eat 10 of because they are a fruit...
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in potassium. We need this, specially after a long run or hard work out. So why are there so many people saying not to eat bananas if you want to lose weight? What is so bad with the O so delicious Banana?

I eat a bannana a day. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!
    Whoever doesn't because of cals has lost their mind. Great fuel post workout!
    105 cals 25 carbs oooweeeeeee
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I'm eating one right now.
  • emaline614
    emaline614 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    to quote the 9th Doctor- i like bananas. bananas are good!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Agreed^ I love Bananas. Especially when I have fatigue, it's an instant fix!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    A medium sized banana is only about 105 calories, that's not crazy IMO. I go ahead and have one if I'm in the mood, sometimes along with some peanut butter on bread or crackers, sometimes just by itself. I don't really worry over carbs, though.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Eating a banana is better than a hand full of chips or bowl of ice cream. I love banana's!!!
  • ohrebecca
    ohrebecca Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em, because they are a good, quick way for me to feel full. Also good for those whirlwind days where I'm going directly from work to the gym or vice versa and don't have time to eat a different snack.
  • ericalyn93
    Options
    I looooove nanners!!! Especially late at night when I have a sweet tooth and could go for a big bowl of icecream. They are naturally sweet, and I feel good about myself after eating it. I say go for it! I don't eat one everyday however, maybe twice a week. I think all things are good, just in moderation.
  • I eat everything. In moderation. Bananas - nom nom nom. I LOVE bananas on whole wheat toast with a little peanut butter and honey. Heaven! Then again I also eat pancakes, fast food and candy canes. :) So obviously I'm not a sugar/carb counter! I go by strict calories and having my carbs, protein, fat in a the recommended ratio is always bonus.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bananas are really filling. They usually taste good, unlike other fruits that can be really good or really terrible. You don't have to wash them because they come in their own protective package. They are easy to peel. They are full of nutrients. They are cheap. Honestly, they are 130 calories well-spent in my opinion.
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :) there's no point in denying yourself something that's good for you!