Does Anyone have their names constantly mispronounced?? Sia

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It got a little better after Lorena Bobbit made it a household name. But she's Lor-ay-na, and I'm Lor-ee-na. Pretty much, if it begins with an L, I'll answer to it. I got called Louie once by a substitute teacher. And my neighbor calls me Lenore, which is kind of cool since I like Poe.

My nickname is Lori, and while I prefer Lorina, I'll use Lori to make things easier when working. "Hi, this is Lorina calling from..." "Who?" "Lorina." "Maria?" "No, Lorina." "Marina?" "No..." "Gigi?" :laugh: (Yes, seriously... I once got Gigi.)

Then again, even going by Lori, at my last job, I answered the phone, and the caller was someone who was interested in working there. I told her that we weren't actively hiring at that time, but she could drop off a resume at any time and we'd keep it on file. She ended the call with, "Ok. Thanks, Nancy."

Wow. Your attention to detail is superb! Please, come work with us in a medical environment! It's not like you'd have any trouble telling Ciprofloxacin from Cyproheptadine!
  • I'm a grown woman with the nickname Quita. Like Qweeta. Because when I started Jr High all the teacher taking roll call said Marqweeta. It's actually Mar-ger-ite. Marguerite Selsa Belmares. I don't think there could possibly be another one in the whole world though.
  • I'm a grown woman with the nickname Quita. Like Qweeta. Because when I started Jr High all the teacher taking roll call said Marqweeta. It's actually Mar-ger-ite. Marguerite Selsa Belmares. I don't think there could possibly be another one in the whole world though.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They always did it with my maiden name and are now doing it with my last name, since I am most likely the only person in Germany with that last name besides my husband I try not to get mad about it. It is Kemfort and they always make Kämpfer (that means warrior in english), Komfort or other things out of it. They even get Christine wrong by adding i's and e's to it or forgetting the e at the end.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My last name is Endicott as in Endicott New York. (End i cott) Most say Edicut or Edicate... First name is Roni pronounced Ronnie most call me Roni as in macaroni or rice-a-roni. Go back to basic phonics people!!!

Hooked on phonics worked for no one apparently! :laugh:
  • qshama
    qshama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My name is Shama...pronouced...sh-maa.....people always pronounce it...shaa-ma...sometimes shaarma!!...but i never mind because its not an english word...its from the urdu language :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My last name is NEVER pronounced right. I've stopped correcting people though as it isn't worth it. My first name? Yeah, apparently people don't have ears. I'll answer to anything that starts with a K.
  • kakahler
    Options
    My last name is Kahler (pronounced Kay-ler) and it's often pronounced Call-er.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You should have my name - Regina. I get called - get this - rhymes with vagina - all the time!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Taso....
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    My name is Rosa but people continually call me Rose...I hate it!
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    People butcher my daughter's name and its not HARD!

its Hallie - like Callie with a H - they call her Haliegh all the time!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yep...people keep confusing me for a Jesuit Priest!!!:laugh:

Just kidding...My first name is often mispronounced, I've kind of gotten used to it. Sometimes I correct, sometimes not.
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes! My name is Tisha NOT Trisha! No R in my name
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my middle name is lea pronounced lee. people always say lee-a.

you can blame the chick from glee for that one
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    All the time. My name is Lucia...Lou Sha. Everyone says Lou Chee a/ It is Polish not Italian.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My name is Kristine (chris-teen), and people call me Kristen, Krista, Kristina, etc. all of the frickin time. I think the K instead of the "Ch" really throws them for a loop or something. Don't get me started on my last name... :)

I have the opposite. Mine is Christin (like Kristen) and people pronounce it Christine, Christian, Christina, and some call me Chris (only my family calls me Chris). When I say, "Hi, my name is Christin" and they start calling me Chris, it drives me nuts.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    my middle name is lea pronounced lee. people always say lee-a.

I feel your pain. My name is Leigh which is also pronounced "lee". People usually pronounce it either "lee-a" or "lay". It is extremely frustrating. On the flip side, if I tell people my name and they write it down, they will always spell it Lee. You would be amazed at how many people send me emails... Hi Lee, blah, blah, blah... even though they've alreay typed my name as Leigh in the email address.

Too funny, my mom's name is also Leigh but she pronounces it "Lay" ("Like SLEIGH-without-the-S" is how she explains it), so she's bothered by getting called "Lee" all the time. When I was a kid and we learned phonograms in school (what sounds different letter combinations make) she was delighted to learn that "eigh" is classified in the English language as "a-4-letter-a": always prounounced "a". So now she can consol herself that she's phonetically correct in her pronounciation ;-)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes...and I have one of the easiest names out there...LOL.. but it's spelled non-traditional...Aimee, and I've had people TELL me I SAY it wrong?! LOL! They say it is Ah-may because the french version with the accent is like that! And my last name is Wynn (like Win) and I've had people say it like *Ah-may Wine*.... ( I have no problem BTW saying my full name on here, because I use it as a copyright on all my artwork anyway, so my full name is seen. LOL.. I've had people go a lil' off kilter that I would actually POST my name! LOL!)

I also work in a Dr's office..and some of the ways people try to say our Dr's names are hysterical!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    meeeeeeeeee

it's tarah, pronounced like tar - uh (Rhymes with bar-uh)

NOT tear-a or rhyming with fair-uh