Does Anyone have their names constantly mispronounced?? Sia

Options

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    My name is Carolyn. Rhymes with Marilyn, as in, Monroe. Pronounced CAR-oh-lin. People always Cal me CAR-oh-line. Caroline. I just don't respond.
  • danniellevigue
    Options
    my last name is ALWAYS mispronounced and my first name is ALWAYS misspelled :/

wow. my name is spelled the same way!!! :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Being a sports official, I won't get into all the names I have been called! :-)

umpire's got rabbit ears! LOL
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    my name is Sophia, nobody i know calls me by this name!! its always Sophie, Soph, Sosh, Slosh (long story about that name!), Sof.. Even my own mother calls me Sophie!!! im like arghhh!! on my birth certificate it says Sophia NOT Sophie!!!!!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Mine is Mallory... pretty simple...
    I get Valerie, Mary, Melly and TWICE I've gotten MALARIA? For real?

I'm DYING! Malaria?! I'm calling you that forever now. AHAHAHAHA!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My name is spelled "Mayra" but pronounced "Myra"

First day of school as a kid they'd always say, "MAY-ra"? LOL I HATED that!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    not much you can do about your last name and I think it is awesome that we have so many different ethnic names.....but this is why I cringe when I see people who have named their child something spelled oddly and nearly unprounouncable by the general public....please be considerate of your child and of their school teachers and DONT name them something difficult..

signed---- the mother who named her daughter Caitie (KATY) and who should have known better because her mom spelled Ronda without an H and she spends her life saying no H----

*** I learned my lesson and my daughter is still having to correct people***
  • neneyj
    neneyj Posts: 1
    Options
    Yep, but I blame my parents for spelling my name wrong. It's genene (should be Janine). I get jean, jenny, genevieve, je-ne-ne. je-nen,

Parents!! Don't do it!! Don't give your kids silly names!! - ps, I never can find my name on those personalised things which is a big thing when you are 7 and want a hairband just like your friends...
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    My name is constantly mispronounced or misspelled as is my middle name as is my daughter and son's their names are popular but not spelled in the popular way. I mean how hard is it to ask really i have lived all over the country and overseas and to respect other cultures that's what i do!!
  • MamaEdmund
    MamaEdmund Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should have my name - Regina. I get called - get this - rhymes with vagina - all the time!

It's the Canadian pronunciation.......seriously the capital of Saskatchewan--Regina. Rhymes with and everything. The first time I heard a Canadian say it (because I had only read the city's name) I laughed because I thought he was kidding. Then I moved here and found out everyone says it that way. And now I confuse myself when I go back to the States and see our family friend Rejina (pronounced like yours but spelled differently). And in my head the whole time I'm like "Is it rej-EYE-nah or re-GENE-ah? Crap I just won't say her name." LOL
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My name is Yvonne. Pronounced Y-uh-vah n. People mispronounce right after I introduce myself...EE-vahn, Uh-vahn. Oh yeah then some just call me Yolanda, really?

LOL! That's too funny! My name is Yolanda and I've been called Yvonne (only they pronounce it EE-vahn).

When I introduce myself, people always repeat my name, some pronounce it the way I've just said it, others pronounce it Yo-Lon-Da, if they have trouble with it, I just smile and tell them my friends just call me 'Yo'.
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    My name is Casey, and people are constantly calling me Cassie.

Even worse, very few people seem to be able to spell my name. Invariably, when I go to Starbucks, the name on my cup will be spelled "Kacie" or "Kacey" or even "Kayci." I mean, really?

I have the opposite... my name is Cassie and Im called Casey 90% of the time... to me it seems like a no brainer
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My first name is Ashley but I've been called Amanda and even Agnus. My maiden name was Hussey, yes like the insult. But everyone was afraid to say it so I got Who-say and even Husky alot which is not cool to a fat girl. Worst last name ever. However when you're walking down the hallway and someone says "Hey Hussey!" And you turn around and so do four other girls who are clearly offended, it makes life a little funnier.
  • hrcowman
    hrcowman Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My last name is Cowman as in the animal COW, but people always pronounce it as Coe-men instead. I've also had it pronounced as Coleman, and when people spell it they think it starts out with C-A-L. I'm like NO! It's spelled C-O-W, just like the animal!!
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My last name is Barker but I constantly call Mrs. Baker...
  • dilleight
    Options
    I have an Irish name so it isn't phonetic in the English language. There are also a few variants on the spelling so I don't mind if people can't pronounce it but it gets a bit much when I spell my name out and they say "are you sure?!!"
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    My last name is Endicott as in Endicott New York. (End i cott) Most say Edicut or Edicate... First name is Roni pronounced Ronnie most call me Roni as in macaroni or rice-a-roni. Go back to basic phonics people!!!

Hooked on phonics worked for no one apparently! :laugh:

There's also a lot of people in this thread surprised at the things people say their names are, when basic phonics would tell me the same things. Not what they say their names actually are.

It's one thing to accept that your name can be confused with another word, but entirely another to not recognize that your name looks like another word at first reading.

My name is phonetically simple, but I've had it botched my whole life. I can't keep track of all the nicknames have come from Bronwen over the years.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My first name is Johanna but it has a silent H so people usually say Jo-hanna or even Joann (I guess they forget there is an a at the end?). It is always misspelled as well. It is correctly pronounced Jo-anna.
  • lalavogl
    Options
    YES! They call me Larry...my name is LaRee, which is pronounced La Ree.....Do I look like a Larry people, REALLY!!! lol
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Alyssa Renae
    Uh-Lis-Uh
    Reh-nay