WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    honestly for me it was just because I'm so used to setting everything to private (facebook etc) or to friends only that I just did it automatically. I opened it to the public when I posted a question and realized there is no info there that is any kind of security issue.
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Excuse me and I mean this in the most polite way possible but - I am a grown *kitten* woman! The only person I need to hold me accountable is me. It is no one's business what I eat and is certainly not information that complete strangers feel they should be entitled to scrutinize.
    well said lovely we are private and its ours xx
  • cariliz
    cariliz Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s mature and honest input. What’s works for one person doesn’t always work for another. Just being inquisitive.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private- I'm doing this for me.. I like to read and make comments and ask for help if I need it but I don't "friend" people, this is not a social thing for me.

OR I could just be a *****. :wink:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I got tired of people sending me random messages telling me that I should be eating 200 grams of protein. I'm 4'11. I'm pretty sure I don't need that much protein...
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I do not know how to do private, so if mine is, I do not know how to change it!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just closed mine because I am still struggling to climb back on the wagon! (Plus still clearing out my fridge from the holidays!) It will be open to my friends. Not to everybody, because I don't think it's their business. You wanna see, friend me. (I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!) :wink:
    How many people really look anyways? I rarely look at other peoples food. I did one dude & he was making me sick with all the crap he ate & bragged about his weight loss. I ended up unfriending him. I didn't want to be around that. I am curious to know when he crashed though!
    One person kinda criticized my food choice & I felt very violated! LOL Personally I would rather just go the old fashioned route, with paper & pencil!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Mine's public. I honestly don't care who sees it. I have my good days and my bad ones, but it's out there!

Yup same for me! I eat pretty much the same stuff day in and day out.
  • mammothdoll
    Options
    It reminds me too much of having my food intake _controlled_ by someone else. Even though that's not what it is.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's not 'hidden' ... it's private. Mine was private for a long time, well, because I am a private person. I don't talk about my periods with my girlfriends. I am fairly modest in a lot of respects. And I just like keeping certain things to myself.

Keeping my diary private had nothing to do with avoiding comments, or being dishonest, or ashamed of what I eat. It's just ... it's mine, my diary, my own journey.

I think I made it public at some point to help out a friend who was stuggling. I don't really know anymore if it's public or private. Whether or not it's open, it's just not really anyone else's business.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    A lot of people don't even realize its private lol When you first set up your account you have to put it as not private...when I ask my friends why theirs is private they always say they didnt realize it was and didnt know you could make it public to friends.
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I don't look at other people diary and don't need anyone looking at mine! I'm accountable by logging everything I eat
  • houzkat
    houzkat Posts: 78
    Options
    Mine is going to be private for a while because I'm using it to track an elimination diet prescribed by my GP and my bodily reactions to certain foods over the next month or two. None of my friends should have to read the things I'm going to be writing down. Haha!
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    quite frankly, I'm too lazy to sit and type out everything I eat or look it up. I just add the calories up and log them. I keep my food diary private only because there's nothing for anyone to see lol...Otherwise, I do enjoy seeing what others are eating so I can get good ideas!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm doing okay keeping myself accountable.

I have it set to password for noobs who specifically ask me for help.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine is private for a few reasons.

One of them is that I think it's really weird that anyone could see what I ate for breakfast a couple weeks ago... That is just a little too much personal sharing for me! lol

Another is that I had a few people criticize my food choices, and my reaction was pretty much "...excuse me?" I can understand if I asked for an opinion or help, but I didn't. I eat what I want. I am accountable for what I eat. Period.
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I keep it hidden cause I simply don't really want feedback on what I eat or how I eat it or whether I track consistently or not. That's more my tool to use as I feel fit and if/when I get to a point where I'm not losing or I feel I need a kick in the butt in that area I'll share it but until then I use it more to get me in a pattern and more in control:-) I tend to eat a lot of the same sorts of things and often I don't eat enough, in most people's eyes, but I don't want to be told to mix it up & get in those calories all the time. I also eat some things I shouldn't and I don't really want to be scolded for it cause I have to learn to allow for that stuff in moderation. It's all about personal prefrence really and where you think you will get the most benefit from this site:-)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I do let my friends see it but honestly it's just about privacy in general. I answer only to myself and I don't feel like having anyone browse through my diary. I wouldn't let a stranger into my kitchen either LOL
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Rant mode on.
    Maybe I'm a little paranoid about stuff I put on the net, but I have this nagging thought that someday, insurance companies will be able to get this kind of information about me, and if they see I've eaten too many twinkies, my rates will go up, or I'll be turned down for medical coverage completely. Google's desire is to make ALL information accessible. This includes everything that you say in any forum, any pictures you post anywhere, and anything else that exists on the internet. Remember, the internet is permanent. There are archive sites that allow you to retrieve any website that ever existed, at anytime (though, there are some gaps). If your information doesn't turn up in a search, it probably will someday. Try googling yourself and see what pops up...
    Rant mode off.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Because some people are judgemental tosspots who feel they have the right to comment negatively on petty little things like a few drinks or being vegetarian.

What I eat is no one's business but my own.