Back from my first trip to the nutritionist...

Options

Replies

• athensguy
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I was often "over" on the protein on MFP too and was wondering if it was harmful to my diet to be getting too much protein. One thing I have to disagree with the nutritionist is that your body is eating up your muscle when protein is too low. That is only true if your BMI is below 10 which maybe yours is. It is teens for men. I would say most people women are above 10 BMI. I know this from a rgid military study that was done. I cut out whole grains and dairy and pasta three weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs. The thing I have learned about nutritional advise is it seems to constantly change. Thanks again.

what?

How does BMI factor into catabolism?

If someone has a BMI of 9 & is eating above maintenance level, with adequate protein intake & resistance training they will not lose muscle mass.

Same goes for someone at BMI of 30.

If you didn't know BMI is BS. I'm overweight & aiming for obese.

I think that post was supposed to be referring to Body Fat % rather than BMI.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason why you're not naming 'this world renowned nutritionist'?
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I was often "over" on the protein on MFP too and was wondering if it was harmful to my diet to be getting too much protein. One thing I have to disagree with the nutritionist is that your body is eating up your muscle when protein is too low. That is only true if your BMI is below 10 which maybe yours is. It is teens for men. I would say most people women are above 10 BMI. I know this from a rgid military study that was done. I cut out whole grains and dairy and pasta three weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs. The thing I have learned about nutritional advise is it seems to constantly change. Thanks again.

what?

How does BMI factor into catabolism?

If someone has a BMI of 9 & is eating above maintenance level, with adequate protein intake & resistance training they will not lose muscle mass.

Same goes for someone at BMI of 30.

If you didn't know BMI is BS. I'm overweight & aiming for obese.

I think body fat percentage was meant there. BMI of 10 is impossible without fatal results even for kids unless they have growth hormone imbalance. BMI 10 means 70 lbs for the 5'10 me. My bone mass is higher than 2/3 of that.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Today I had an appointment with a world-renowned nutritionists. Aside from a host of problems that I've realized I have, I learned a lot of things about food in general that I thought I'd share.
    1. American-grown whole wheat products are one of the worst things to put in your body. Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions. The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
    2. Cow's milk products should ONLY be consumed if they are organic. Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
    3. Vitamin D is best absorbed after a fat. If you take a fish oil supplement, take the vitamin D right after for optimum absorption.
    4. Cod liver oil is the best fish oil to take (make sure it has had the mercury filtered out!)
    5. Food logs here are WAY off when it comes to protein. You should be getting a minimum of 4-5 servings of protein a day from CONCENTRATED sources. A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body. A serving is about 15 grams. 6 oz of greek yogurt, 3 oz of fish, 1 whole egg and 2 whites or 4 egg whites, etc. I thought I was getting enough because my log claimed that my protein was consistently high, but it turns out that my body is literally eating my muscles because I'm so extremely protein deficient.
    6. Sunflower nut butter is the best nut butter because of the magnesium (most people have a deficiency, which is bad because it acts as a catalyst in your body)
    7. Don't be afraid of avocados because they are high in calories! It is proven that people who consume avocado lose more weight than those who don't (not to mention the monstrous amounts of health benefits that avocados provide)

Just thought I'd share some of the things I learned today. I know they will impact my life and eating habits for the better, and I hope it does the same for you!

What type of bread do you buy?
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh and ps. I find milk the hardest to wrap my head around and choose!

Milk is high in sugar which I really want to cut down on. It's my highest sugar item usually!

Almond milk that I can find is also full of sugar.

Soy is low in sugar but apparently way too processed (paleo diet).

ARGH! I'm thinking of switching it up between them all. Spread the evil um... love. Lol.

I switched to full-fat dairy. It is a little lower in sugar and I am usually happy with less of it. I do try to get grass fed dairy if I can. However, this time of year it gets pretty scarce.
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome information! =-)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

i was thinking the same thing.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Today I had an appointment with a world-renowned nutritionists. Aside from a host of problems that I've realized I have, I learned a lot of things about food in general that I thought I'd share.
    1. American-grown whole wheat products are one of the worst things to put in your body. Because there is such a surplus, it sits around for a long time causing those products to contain a lot of mold which causes adverse reactions. The only reason it was being pushed so much by the old food pyramid was because it was created and funded by the whole-wheat manufacturers.
    2. Cow's milk products should ONLY be consumed if they are organic. Non-organic products contain the bovine growth hormone which causes a whole slew of problems in humans, including acne!
    3. Vitamin D is best absorbed after a fat. If you take a fish oil supplement, take the vitamin D right after for optimum absorption.
    4. Cod liver oil is the best fish oil to take (make sure it has had the mercury filtered out!)
    5. Food logs here are WAY off when it comes to protein. You should be getting a minimum of 4-5 servings of protein a day from CONCENTRATED sources. A gram here and there doesn't even get utilized by your body. A serving is about 15 grams. 6 oz of greek yogurt, 3 oz of fish, 1 whole egg and 2 whites or 4 egg whites, etc. I thought I was getting enough because my log claimed that my protein was consistently high, but it turns out that my body is literally eating my muscles because I'm so extremely protein deficient.
    6. Sunflower nut butter is the best nut butter because of the magnesium (most people have a deficiency, which is bad because it acts as a catalyst in your body)
    7. Don't be afraid of avocados because they are high in calories! It is proven that people who consume avocado lose more weight than those who don't (not to mention the monstrous amounts of health benefits that avocados provide)

Just thought I'd share some of the things I learned today. I know they will impact my life and eating habits for the better, and I hope it does the same for you!

World-renowned nutritionist does not mean anything. Whether it's intentional or not, there's so much dogma spit out in this field it's sickening, including by people with MD/MS/PHD/PCP/CSC/ETC in front of their name.
    So have you validated any of this information yourself? If so, I'd like to see the sources :).
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    - I asked if I should eat back my exercise calories and she looked like me like I was an idiot and said *no*

In terms of this post, if you didn't explain how MFP works - ie giving a calorie deficit to lose weight without exercise - most people assume you are using/partially using exercise to create your deficit for weight loss rather than your initial daily calorie goal and therefore will tell you you shouldn't eat your exercise calories. On MFP, that can create a deficit that for many people is too large to be healthy.

EXACTLY!! Sometimes I think that even some of the people ON MFP do not understand this concept.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options

The reason I don't want to post her name is that her office is right by my house and I don't want everyone to know where I live =/
    I'm just trying to be safe. Sorry!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    BUMP!

Thanks so much for sharing... very interesting information.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I buy my milk at the Publix (regular grocery store in FL) and it says 'from cows NOT treated with rbST*Hormones)

and to throw some fuel on this fire, I just watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives" that details how animal based diets lead to cancer, and plant based diets (containing 20% of plant protein) actually fight cancer and reverse disease.

As far as low carb/no carb....I (personally) could never do no carb. There are many, many days when I have tons of carbs left over at the end of the day, but I like them too much to not eat them. I also think it really depends on what types of carbs you eat...ie carbs from whole foods are better/more nutritious than something processed. I try to eat as close to the source as possible...

I have never heard that bit about the mold on wheat, and as a matter of fact would find it hard to rationalize any remnant of mold living through the baking process. I don't like most super processed breads (like Wonder or that type) because they are mushy and it freaks me out that they can sit out for a month and NOT get moldy. I prefer bakery baked bread, but that is just me :) It is true that many people have adverse reactions to wheat products, but I am pretty sure it is the yeast and gluten in them.

It was very thoughtful of you to share your information, and good job promoting avocados. They are on my list of faves :)
  • 4HealthyMe
    4HealthyMe Posts: 34 Member
    Options

The reason I don't want to post her name is that her office is right by my house and I don't want everyone to know where I live =/
    I'm just trying to be safe. Sorry!

No one would have known that if you hadn't mentioned it. I would even bet that most people wouldn't even care where his/her office is.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    OP. I glanced at your protein intake and you're not even meeting your MFP prescribed levels of protein. How can you determine that it's the lack of concentration of proteins that's causing your problem when you're not even meeting them in the 1st place.

There's also no way to determine that carb related mold is causing any problems when there's no way to determine if the specific carbs you've eaten had any "mold" in it.
  • misstanyamarie
    misstanyamarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me to buy meat and egg products that were hormone free as well!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    My blood tests showed that my muscles were being eaten by my body due to excess lactic acid being released from low protein intake. I'm just relaying the information my tests showed so other people don't make the same mistake and end up in this place... it's no fun.

Except that Lactic acid does not build up due to low protein. It builds up due to insufficient oxygen delivery to the tissues. Sorry, but I think you got ripped off.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My blood tests showed that my muscles were being eaten by my body due to excess lactic acid being released from low protein intake. I'm just relaying the information my tests showed so other people don't make the same mistake and end up in this place... it's no fun.

Except that Lactic acid does not build up due to low protein. It builds up due to insufficient oxygen delivery to the tissues. Sorry, but I think you got ripped off.

I agree. The body starts producing the lactic acid because of inadequate oxygen. Low protein may cause other symptoms but not build up of lactic acid.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can only think that your body is eating it's muscles because you aren't getting enough carbohydrate to fuel your activity level, and have very little stored fat, so is desperately looking around for something else to burn.

The lactic acid thing, as others have said, is biological nonsense.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information.

question about people who eat avocados. my culture was always taught to eat avocados with sugar. how do people eat avocados raw normally?

Mmm avocado ice cream and smoothies!
    I've always wanted to try avocado's but not sure what to do with them.

Seriously, I add them to salads or sandwiches instead of mayo (well I hate mayo, so I add them to increase the satiety of my sandwich)

I love avocado toast! Take some whole grain bread, toast it. Mash up an avocado with lemon or lime juice, chili flakes, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil. Spread this on your toast and enjoy. You could also add some sliced tomato.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump