Does Anyone have their names constantly mispronounced?? Sia

Options

Replies

• alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes!! My last name is Schumaker (shoe-maker-er). And people always pronounce it like it is spelled Schumacher.

Plus my boyfriend and future husband's last name is Zgorzynski. Amazingly it is pronounced the way it looks. "Zgor-zyn-ski" but people always add extra sounds somewhere. haha!

whoa! congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! .. but maybe he should consider taking your name instead :o)
  • alexbelly
    Options
    Mine is Alexandra. The female version on Alexander. Simples, no? Well apparently not. I flip my lid each time I get a letter or email from someone saying "Dear Alexander". Barclays bank were probably the best; I filled in an application form for a current account which also doubled as an application form for a credit card. I ticked the "Ms" box and sure enough, my current account was set up in the name of "Ms Alexandra xxxxx" However, the dumb idiot who inputted the info for the credit card obviously missed that box and couldn't read either, cos the credit card arrived in the name of "Mr Alexander xxx" I phoned them to point out the error and asked them to rectify it, to which they refused, saying that I was female and the card was in the name of a male. DUH!!!!! I threatened to go and max the card out as "Mr Alexander xxxx" didn't exist. Eventually they cancelled the card at my request. Idiots! It's "Alexandra". Got it?!?!

try growing up with "Alejandra".. I've been going by Alex since I was in 6th grade just to avoid the frustration.
  • alexbelly
    Options
    Lauri. Rhymes with Sorry, not Story.
    Not Laurie, Lorrie, Lori, Laura or Lauren
    Last name Bame. Rhymes with Name.
    Not Bamma, not Baume, not Bame', not Bam.

36 years. And my married name won't be any better. Theis. How do you suppose we pronounce that? It isn't what you think . :)

Does Theis rhyme with space? or spice?
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes!! My last name is Schumaker (shoe-maker-er). And people always pronounce it like it is spelled Schumacher.

Plus my boyfriend and future husband's last name is Zgorzynski. Amazingly it is pronounced the way it looks. "Zgor-zyn-ski" but people always add extra sounds somewhere. haha!

I think long names and "seldom used letters" (like Z's) freak people out.

No one mispronounces Ginger, but my maiden name was Bracamontes. BRA KUH MAHN TESS. I got broccoli and brontosaurus and all sorts of craziness that showed me people weren't even trying. It didn't bother me so much when people mispronounced it, but hit it sort of close. You could tell they were attempting.

I do have a pet peeve about moms who name their children ordinary names with odd spellings. Because I had to spell and pronounce my last name for my entire growing up, I know how irritating it can be and it brought a lot of attention on this formerly very shy person, making me even shyer. I knew a lady who named her son Mathew. One T. She would become irate when the swim team trophy came back every year with two T's, even though we sent the list with one. :ohwell: Why cause a poor kid more trouble than you need to is my opinion. If you want to name the kid Matthew, spell it like everyone is going to spell it so he doesn't have to go through life spelling his name for everyone.
  • LakeishaEllis
    LakeishaEllis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I dont but my daughter does on a Daily Bases her name is Ahdeyukaui.:happy:
  • adlwilmot
    adlwilmot Posts: 117
    Options
    *entered in error*
  • adlwilmot
    adlwilmot Posts: 117
    Options
    Mine is Alexandra. The female version on Alexander. Simples, no? Well apparently not. I flip my lid each time I get a letter or email from someone saying "Dear Alexander". Barclays bank were probably the best; I filled in an application form for a current account which also doubled as an application form for a credit card. I ticked the "Ms" box and sure enough, my current account was set up in the name of "Ms Alexandra xxxxx" However, the dumb idiot who inputted the info for the credit card obviously missed that box and couldn't read either, cos the credit card arrived in the name of "Mr Alexander xxx" I phoned them to point out the error and asked them to rectify it, to which they refused, saying that I was female and the card was in the name of a male. DUH!!!!! I threatened to go and max the card out as "Mr Alexander xxxx" didn't exist. Eventually they cancelled the card at my request. Idiots! It's "Alexandra". Got it?!?!

try growing up with "Alejandra".. I've been going by Alex since I was in 6th grade just to avoid the frustration.

Hahaha.... well funny you should say that, because I was born in the UK as Alexandra, but moved to Spain at the age of 8. I certainly wasn't going to be known as Alejandra as that wasn't my name and I couldn't get my tongue around the "je" element, so ended up being called Alessandra and Ales, but didn't have a problem with that. Now I'm back in the UK and just "Alex" until some incompetent turns me into a guy.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am shocked whenever my name gets pronounced correctly. Its not that hard. Adrienne.

My name is Adrienne too. Few people seem to be able to pronounce it right when they read it. I've heard Andrea, Adreen, Audrina, Andreen. I don't get why people have so much trouble... A-dree-enne, emphasis on either the A or the -enne (I'm not that picky). Even fewer spell it right after they hear it. :ohwell: Though I've noticed less trouble when I go to France or Quebec.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    CONSTANTLY!!!
    It is a pet peeve actually but I try and just breathe through it and be firm but kind when I correct them.
    I don't think it is difficult but apparently it is.
    My name is Louisa - ( sounds like Loo-Ee -Sa )
    Most people mess it up completely. Most pronounce it with a Z sound ( like the name Louise ) instead of the S sound for Louisa.
    Aggravating!
    My daughter has a simple name - Lauren. You wouldn't think that people would mess that up but they do. The AU sound does not sound like the O sound people!
    It is LAUREN ( Lauh-Ren ) and not the boy pronunciation of Loren ( Loe -Ren ).

BAH!
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My name's Cassandre Cadieux.

Most of my family members, nevermind friends and acquaintances, can't even spell that...
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    No one could pronounce my maiden name. I used to answer the phones for a living and it got butchered... finally I gave up and said my last name was Smith.
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My name is Casey, and people are constantly calling me Cassie.

Even worse, very few people seem to be able to spell my name. Invariably, when I go to Starbucks, the name on my cup will be spelled "Kacie" or "Kacey" or even "Kayci." I mean, really?

Mine is Kacie and I go to Starbucks (or rather use to before my MFP, weightloss epiphany) and they allllways spell it Casey! We need to switch Starbucks! :)
  • SkinnyGirlFatBody
    SkinnyGirlFatBody Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You should have my name - Regina. I get called - get this - rhymes with vagina - all the time!

Were you born in Saskatchewan?
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    all the time!!! I'm Alicia... and a lot of people think its Alisha, Alecia, Alicesa and idr how else people spell my name... I have always thought the way to explain how to pronounce my name is like Alisa but the spelling is Alicia. I have a hearing loss so its hard for me to explain things, but the way my family says it is the correct way (not my relatives LOL)
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My last name......all the effing time. It's quite humorous actually.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My name never gets mispronounced - Samantha but I do get called Amanda all they time...urgh!

Unfortunately I gave my kids difficult to say names Regan (said like the president) and Declan (Deck-Lynn) it doesn't bother me when strangers say it wrong because they don't know what urks me is that my mother-in-law so their grandma says my daughter's name wrong she pronounces it Re(say the beginning of red) GIN...really?? She is 5 now and she still doesn't say it right and I corrected her before.

Now Declan on the other hand almost everyone says that wrong but one nurse at the DR irritated me by calling him for his appt by ****-LYN...come on now!!! LOL
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My last name is Baray. Believe it or not, it is a spanish name and is prounounced Ba Rye (like the bread). EVERYONE says Ba Ray (it is spelled that way). My daughters just tell everyone their last name is Baray (Ba Ray), just to avoid having to explain.
  • Nutmeg90795
    Nutmeg90795 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My name is Meghan, its a really simple name but for some reason everytime i meet someone new they put emphasis on the h like Meg-Han. Then my last name is Jimenez, and everybody says it like JA-menez instead of the J sounding like a H.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    People screw up my first and last names all the time. It's Devon - pronounced Devin. (And I'm a female! We won't get into how many people think I'm a male....)

I think it's my given right to mispronounce other people's names when they can't say either of mine!
  • taraatwood
    Options
    My name is TARA... yet half the tiem people think i'm saying TYRA...

Starbucks coffee label - TYRA!