What do you do after a binge/overeating?

Options
I had my first slip-up in months last night. Don't hate me for this, but I had the munchies, if you know what I mean (I very rarely smoke anymore- this is one reason why). I ate a little less than my maintenance calories for 2 days in one night. (Gross, I know. Stuff happens.)
I added the foods I ate to MFP- split up the calories over today and tomorrow. I'm going to eat around 500 calories today and tomorrow (most or all of it will be lean protein), add 30 minutes to my normal cardio time, and do my usual strength training. This will cancel out all the extra calories I ate in the binge, AND leave me at my safe set net of a minimum of 1200 calories, so I'll still be in weight-loss-zone.
I know, it sounds unhealthy, intense, dangerous, whatever else you want to call it, but this is the only way I can cancel out a binge without feeling guilty- and I can handle it. This is my personal preference, so I can get past this setback as quickly as possible and have no trace on my body that it ever happened.
What do you all do after a slip-up like this?

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I honestly say "whoops" and continue on like normal. If I try to limit my calories the next day then I am just getting off my habit more than I already have. Mess ups happen, but I think the best thing to do is go on like normal and forgive yourself (as long as it isn't a regular thing).
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I honestly say "whoops" and continue on like normal. If I try to limit my calories the next day then I am just getting off my habit more than I already have. Mess ups happen, but I think the best thing to do is go on like normal and forgive yourself (as long as it isn't a regular thing).

I totally agree. I forgive myself and move on - new day, clean slate. There is no point punishing yourself further - the guilt trip is bad enough!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I had my first slip-up in months last night. Don't hate me for this, but I had the munchies, if you know what I mean (I very rarely smoke anymore- this is one reason why). I ate a little less than my maintenance calories for 2 days in one night. (Gross, I know. Stuff happens.)
    I added the foods I ate to MFP- split up the calories over today and tomorrow. I'm going to eat around 500 calories today and tomorrow (most or all of it will be lean protein), add 30 minutes to my normal cardio time, and do my usual strength training. This will cancel out all the extra calories I ate in the binge, AND leave me at my safe set net of a minimum of 1200 calories, so I'll still be in weight-loss-zone.
    I know, it sounds unhealthy, intense, dangerous, whatever else you want to call it, but this is the only way I can cancel out a binge without feeling guilty- and I can handle it. This is my personal preference, so I can get past this setback as quickly as possible and have no trace on my body that it ever happened.

I wouldn't just call it a whoops day. You're trying to hold yourself accountable, nothing wrong with that. I'll be the first to say, I have the odd binge days, kids birthdays, what not, life gets inthe way sometimes, even for a die hard gym freak like me. I tend to do a 24hr fast. It's easier for me to do..I'll stop eating let's say at 2p.m today and nothing but water until 2p.m tomorrow, I find it the most effiecent way to recover, and you saved an entires day worth of calories. There's a whole book on this type of fasting. I wouldn't recommend it for a weekly thing but it's definitely saved my a** a few times. In that 24hr span, I only do mild cardio,,,nothing taxing,
  • kittyninja
    Options
    I used to just move on, but my perfectionist nature won't let me do that without feeling like total *kitten* about myself.
    If I don't do something difficult and unpleasant to make up for it, to teach me not to do it again, I probably will do it again (I used to have binge eating disorder / compulsive overeating).
    That always works for me and keeps me from repeating this mistake.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i plan the slips as best i can, budget calories, and increase exercise.

second, if you're looking to stop smoking, there's no need to gain weight. Allen Carr's easy way book made it pretty simple for me to stop in 2008.
  • kittyninja
    Options

I wouldn't just call it a whoops day. You're trying to hold yourself accountable, nothing wrong with that. I'll be the first to say, I have the odd binge days, kids birthdays, what not, life gets inthe way sometimes, even for a die hard gym freak like me. I tend to do a 24hr fast. It's easier for me to do..I'll stop eating let's say at 2p.m today and nothing but water until 2p.m tomorrow, I find it the most effiecent way to recover, and you saved an entires day worth of calories. There's a whole book on this type of fasting. I wouldn't recommend it for a weekly thing but it's definitely saved my a** a few times. In that 24hr span, I only do mild cardio,,,nothing taxing,

I would do a fast, that would be so much easier, but I need to work out to maintain my muscle. That's why most or all of the 500 calories I'll be eating will be lean protein, mainly before and after my workout.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I keep it moving. Yesterday is gone. Today is a new day. I must say that 500 calories minus the exercise deficit can't be good for the body. I know that you say that it will cancel out the guilt from yesterday's meals, but my concern is whether or not the "extreme" calorie deficit might trigger a binge, which could lead to a cycle of guilt-fueled deficits and binge eating. I say just eat your suggested calorie limit today and include lots of fruits and veggies. Drink plenty of water to help flush the extra sodium from your system. You'll be fine. You'll feel better than you will depriving yourself.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! We are Human so move on. Today is a Brand New Day
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I curse myself and feel horrible, and then realize it will get me no where, and start fresh the day after with my same routine. :)
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Get up and exercise first thing. It gets your mind right to keep going. Even a slip up big or small is still part of your overall journey. You don't have to "start all over again" or anything drastic. Just log it and move on.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You know you've done wrong, move on. Forgiving yourself is a very difficult thing sometimes, but the moment you forgive yourself, acknowledge why you did it and know how to make it not happen again you will no longer be eaten up by guilt.

And don't fast! Don't spread the food out over days. That way you suffer even longer. Eat carefully the next couple of days but don't punish yourself.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I don't worry about and get on track the next day. Nothing wrong with going over maintenance here and there, and one bad day will not sabotage your diet.

That being said if you're going the 2 day PSMF route, i would limit exercise instead of increase it
  • dana815
    Options
    ugh i have done this too much recentlt!!! know the feeling!! just gotta b extra good next few days but dont limit myself to where i dont grt enuf nutrients...just count it as slip up n start fresh...dont let that guilty feeling wear ya down tho
  • SkinnynS
    Options
    Actually, the occasionally "cheat day" is good for re-setting your motabalism. Just keep working out and staying on the right track!
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would just accept that I had a bad day and carry on the following day as normal. I would perhaps push myself a bit more with exercise so maybe over the week it balances out. Don't restrict too much to make up for it as your body will go into starvation mode. However you deal with it just don't worry about it we all have bad days every now and then :)
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would spread it out over the next 7 days or 2 weeks even instead of just 2 days. You could stagger, too. Take more calories off some days than others. It's about net calories over a week, anyway. Or you could just let it go and go about yoru business.
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    either go "oops!" and continue on or if it is a "HUGE oops!!!" go on an awesome, long hike the following day :wink:
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I gump it until the calories are all burned off lol. If you don't like vigorous exercise then you could probably walk it off if you walked far enough. One tip Stephen Fry gave when he lost weight was listening to audio books while walking
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Split the calories up?
    No offense, but this is absurd. PLEASE!

Just start fresh today and don't engage in any such starvation tomfoolery that's really you trying to punish yourself.
    Just feel the guilt, own the guilt, then move on.

If your solution to a blunder is to follow it up with another blunder, prepare to fail in the end.
    How about this: just eat right TODAY and let yesterday fade away?

Success is about stringing together several good days that become good weeks, months ect.
    Ruining yourself today is no solution for yesterday's mistake. Now you have even more to make up for.

Not good!