Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• ashybrooke
    Options
    I have a little more than 1200 (1300) but I agree with IrishKissesXX that it has much more to do with the types of foods you eat rather than just the calories. I can eat a 200 calorie candy bar and still feel hungry, but snacking on 200 calories worth of fruit keeps me satisfied throughout the day.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP had me at 1200 my Dr.told me to up it to 1400 and exercise. I haven't ate the exercise calories back.
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1430 but usually end the day slightly under 1200 and have to eat some fruit to get over 1200. I'm 63 years old and 6'2" and around 205. Lost 5 pounds last week
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    The program set me at 1200 in November and I have been following it successfully. I am 60, 5'4, in a sedentary job, and had 90 pounds to lose. I set it to lose 2 pounds a week but it went down to 1200 and said that was 1.5 pounds a week so I don't have a lot of leeway, I guess. On days I exercise I go up to about 1350-1400 calories. Keep in mind that my exercise calories are in that range. I can't do a lot of exercise due to back and knee issues but am trying to walk 10K steps a day. I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit and such and have not felt deprived. If I stop losing I will change things up.
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MFP set mine to 1200 cals. My husband also thinks that is far too low and he is big into nutrition and body building. I actually find it very hard to even reach 1200 cals per day :( Funny thing though, I don't deprive myself of food when I am hungry, I will have healthy food. I don't go to bed starving. I've kept up with this less than a week and I have SO much energy. So much I spent the night goofing around gleefully with my 5 year old neice when usually I'd be zoning out and yawning from junkfood. I feel light, happy, clear minded. I DO think I will add in more food though becuase I will be starting the 30DS. I do NOT want to just starve my weight off, only to gain it back when I decide to indulge a bit. I want to do it the healthy way. I'm only 5'3 and 160lbs. I put I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week and live a lightly active lifestyle - wanting to work out 5 times a week for 30 minutes. I guess that is why I was put at 1200 cals.
  • shmurph
    shmurph Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day, as well. I set MFP to lose 1.3. pounds per week and that's what I got. I can do it, as long as I exercise and use some of those exercise calories. If I don't, I don't have much left by dinner - and that's with eating balanced meals all day. It doesn't give me any room for slip-ups, but that's what I need right now anyway!
    13706351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • deedee1508
    deedee1508 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think if you put 10 people together for a week and gave them exactly the same food and they did exactly the same exercise, there would be 10 different results on the scales - everyone has to find what suits them best. There have been some amazing losses on 1500cals, so it's obviously working for them...well done to them! Personally I couldn't sustain 1200 forever and know I would give up if i set my intake at that level.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Mines weird...It doesn't matter what I set mine on (except for maintain calories) it's always 1200 calories...I do eat back most of my exercise calories though and there are some days when I don't exercise that I barely eat the 1200 as I get so busy doing other things, it seems....
    I do get enough food though at the 1200 calories a day...I guess I know my portions well enough that I get enough food....
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    One has to pick a calorie level that one can sustain for years, for life even... if this is supposed to be sustainable. 1200, in my estimation, is hard to maintain lifelong.
    No, the 1200 is not for you to stay on 'life long'.
    1200 creates a 500 or more calorie deficit, so that you will lose weight. Your calorie intake is higher once you are at your goal, which is Maintenance.
  • shanalivee
    Options
    i am at 1200 calories but am not sure if i should up my calories. i am 4'11 and 145lbs and want to get down to 120 or less since my Dr. said for my height i should be around 109lbs. I hope sticking to the calories and some exercise will help. I am just worried my body will go into starvation mode and i won't drop any weight. -_-
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My doc put me on 1200 calories and Low Carb (I dont wish to hear opinions on this if they are not positive, I am following my doctors orders) I have alot of health problems and my doc put me on this to see if it will help. So far I am feeling better, less tired and draggy.

I am doing what works for me, it may not work for everyone.

My problem right now is meeting my 1200 calories:( I have no appetite, I had one of my meds increased in dosage, so I need to start getting protein shakes and stuff.
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    Mfp set mine to 1220 for a weekly 1lb loss. For.medical reasons Im following a low gi diet and honestly I can't get over the limit at the minute but I'm full, satisfied and not hungry. Agree with the pp's a lot.of its down to WHAT you 'spend' those calories on.

I'm 5'4 started out at 147 aiming for 124ish. I'm down as sedentary as desk job.

I'm here to lose a bit butif it makes you feel any better I lost 3 stones a couple of years back in a similar way to this method it was set at 1400 a day for me.

I quickly realised good habits meant I had more food to sustain me, Ithink thats probably the best thing I took away from the experience, ehich may be why I am struggling to eat up my 1200.

Best of luck on your journey - friend if you wish
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have only 1200, and I get plenty of food generally. I eat loads of veggies, either raw or steamed or grilled, which makes up the bulk of my food. I agree that it really does depend on what you are eating
  • foxxm
    foxxm Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically selected 1200 calories for me. I work out at least 40 minutes 5 times a week and I haven't seen much of a change in my weight. This is probably because I was using the "extra" calories burned from exercising and eating more than 1200 calories a day. So today I changed my calories to 900, that way when I factor in the calories from exercise my total calories will be closer to the 1200 mark.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Mine says 1200, but I do high intensity cardio (turbo fire) or circuit training w/weights five days a week. So I try to add a protein shake after my workout out, or eat healthy snacks during the day. I usually don't go over on workout days. On my rest days, I treat myself a little (allow a small dessert, drink when I go out, etc)--
  • kbee784
    kbee784 Posts: 27
    Options
    MFP set mine to 1200. I'm always under.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"1' and sit at a desk every day for work. 1200 is sufficient for me on a non-workout day. I'm always full after every meal, don't go to bed hungry, and don't wake up ravenous. Lots of protein in my diet.
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat more than 1200, but I have trouble doing that if I don't eat junk food. I don't like to eat and I feel full and gross a lot, so the thought of eating makes me feel sick. I wish I could eat more with loading up on junk.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I am allowed 1280 but I usually end up eating around 1800. I can stay at 1200 for about two days then I end up PIGGING out. I absolutely can not eat that little and maintain my sanity. I am grouchy enough on a *diet*. lol I have NO CLUE how people stand it.
  • raybaileyct
    Options
    Consuming 1200 at day is not a bad as one think if combined with lots of water. A typical breakfast is around 300, Lunch 350 and dinner and snacks at 550. I lost over 21.5 pounds thus far following this method; however I also work out 4-5 times per week and typical eat back some of my calories. It's really all about balance to me. I have my bad days but overall 5 days a week I am following this method. 4lbs to go