What do you do after a binge/overeating?

Options

Replies

• jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wish I had read your profile before I answered. You are already low body fat. I hope you are eating at least 1200 calories a day. If you are wanting to build muscle, you don't need to calorie restrict. You DON'T need to lose ANY weight. If you really want to build muscle to replace fat, eat a healthy diet without any processed foods on a maintenance level calories. There is no reason to abuse yourself by calorie restricting your already healthy body weight.
    Your vital organs (including your brain) really need a minimum amount of calories to function properly. If you are eating less than what you need just to survive, you are doing things to set yourself up for bad health and possibly bad decisions (brains need calories, too).
    Good luck!
  • charlotteandalfie
    Options
    It's easy for me to say this but you really just need to get over it, feel guilty beat yourself up for 10 minutes and promise yourself that tomorrow will be better. What's done is done and the only thing you can do is get right back on track, eat healthy and just do an extra 20 minutes in the gym if it makes you feel better, one one off binge will not make you out weight on I'm sure. The amount of times I have scoffed a bar f chocolate or gone over my calories by a lot and punished myself only to find that It didn't affect my weight at all is ridiculous. You'll be fine. Xx
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had my first slip-up in months last night. Don't hate me for this, but I had the munchies, if you know what I mean (I very rarely smoke anymore- this is one reason why). I ate a little less than my maintenance calories for 2 days in one night. (Gross, I know. Stuff happens.)
    I added the foods I ate to MFP- split up the calories over today and tomorrow. I'm going to eat around 500 calories today and tomorrow (most or all of it will be lean protein), add 30 minutes to my normal cardio time, and do my usual strength training. This will cancel out all the extra calories I ate in the binge, AND leave me at my safe set net of a minimum of 1200 calories, so I'll still be in weight-loss-zone.
    I know, it sounds unhealthy, intense, dangerous, whatever else you want to call it, but this is the only way I can cancel out a binge without feeling guilty- and I can handle it. This is my personal preference, so I can get past this setback as quickly as possible and have no trace on my body that it ever happened.
    What do you all do after a slip-up like this?
    Split the calories up?
    No offense, but this is absurd. PLEASE!

Just start fresh today and don't engage in any such starvation tomfoolery that's really you trying to punish yourself.
    Just feel the guilt, own the guilt, then move on.

If your solution to a blunder is to follow it up with another blunder, prepare to fail in the end.
    How about this: just eat right TODAY and let yesterday fade away?

Success is about stringing together several good days that become good weeks, months ect.
    Ruining yourself today is no solution for yesterday's mistake. Now you have even more to make up for.

Not good!

This!!
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reading....from a pi**ed off binge eater.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It's really not necessary to go to such extremes.

I put on 3lb over Xmas.

After Xmas I ate 1200 calories for a week and lost the 3lb plus 2 more.

And- if you say you ate just over maintenance for 2 days u won't have put on any weight so why worry?

I ate 2400 calories today and I feel a bit "guilty" but I sure as hell am not gonna starve myself tomorrow to compensate.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I completely disagree with fasting after a binge! It slows down your metabolism, makes you sluggish, grumpy and its healthy. Drink plenty of water and only eat when you're hungry.. and try to make it fruits or veggies or lean meat. This will keep you on track and your body ready! Life happens and no ones perfect, but who wants to fast everytime they act normal? :)

Forgive yourself and move on!

It simply does not slow down your metabolism, you are wrong.A one day fast once in a blue moon, will not hurt your body, your mind..you will not lose progress, become stupid, lose muscle mass, you will not become grumpy from the seven dwarfs. good grief people, I wouldn't suggest it if it was going to kill the girl.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    get back on track right away with business as usual and dont beat yourself up..youre human and i hope you at least enjoyed it :)
  • Leecardoza
    Leecardoza Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just started mfp a week ago today. I went on a binge late last night after being good all day. I also added the foods in todays food log and plan on eating less plus workout so I have to pay for the calories I consumed. Next time maybe I will think twice.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Did you all even read the title of this thread?
    "What do you do after a binge/overeating?"
    I didn't start this thread so people could ***** at me about how I compensate. I started it so other people could share what they do.
    Just so all of you know, I wasn't asking for advice. I'm going to do what I'm going to do regardless.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I work out a little bit extra, and I'm always sure to drink some extra water
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    for me the punishment must fit the crime so I do way more than my usual cardio to TRY and make up for it ..
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    sorry, double post
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day, start over, everyone slips and well your only human. Drink plenty of water, flush out your system!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    For you, as you say it was the first time in months and you are thin already, I don't think you need to compensate, just move on like everybody else said.

But, on the other hand, I do think that, in general, we have a somewhat dangerous culture of 'oh well, never mind, start again tomorrow' where food is concerned and sometimes, if it is a regular thing, I think that we do have to be accountable to binges.

Some of the comments here are ridiculous - someone said she'd go into starvation mode after 2 days and someone else that a 1 day fast was dangerous! Our bodies don't work in 24 hour shifts. Lots of people calorie cycle anyway so if you indulge on one day then what on earth is the problem with limiting what you eat over the next couple of days or working out extra hard - it will balance out to a healthy average over the week.

If we don't impose consequences on ourselves then we risk letting binges become ok more and more often.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i plan the slips as best i can, budget calories, and increase exercise.

second, if you're looking to stop smoking, there's no need to gain weight. Allen Carr's easy way book made it pretty simple for me to stop in 2008.

I'm reading The Easy Way right now!! :) I'm about halfway through, but I quit smoking a couple of days before I started it.
    Oh, and I think the OP is talking about weed, not cigarettes. ;)
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I just move on the next day and get back to regular eating habits. We are human and we are going to give in to our wants at some point. I am not going to emotionally traumatize myself over it. About every couple of months, I spend a week or 2 not logging and eating things that I like without being so strict and structured. What I find is that I usually maintain because I make better choices. I eat stuff that is "bad" all the time...but in moderation. If I want something sweet I eat something little, just enough to satisfy it. I think if you limit yourself to 500 calories for feeling bad you are setting yourself up to binge again some other time.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I didn't start this thread so people could ***** at me about how I compensate. I started it so other people could share what they do.
    Just so all of you know, I wasn't asking for advice. I'm going to do what I'm going to do regardless.

I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE, I haven't been here long, but i'm finding out real quick, if someone doesn't like your approach to your own diet habits/needs/management, they are very quick to crucify you. Thankfully, I have really thick skin! haha
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE, I haven't been here long, but i'm finding out real quick, if someone doesn't like your approach to your own diet habits/needs/management, they are very quick to crucify you. Thankfully, I have really thick skin! haha

AGREED!!!!!! :D
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day. Put the past behind you and start fresh the next day. Don't hold on to the past...just look into the future and where you are going!!! Come on you can do this!!!
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    I gump it until the calories are all burned off lol. If you don't like vigorous exercise then you could probably walk it off if you walked far enough. One tip Stephen Fry gave when he lost weight was listening to audio books while walking

I love the audio book idea, TV gets so boring sometimes! Thanks